26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2014 1:42 PM by pluto77 RSS

Which airport provides the easiest commute to Manhattan?  JFK or EWR?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Heading to NYC in three weeks.  Need to book the airfare... oops! Today! We will not have a car and will only be able to utilize public transportation (rail, metro, bus or taxi).

What do Insiders think?  Which airport location provides:

1. the easiest public transportation options between the airport and Midtown Manhattan?
  2. the safest public transportation options between the airport and Midtown Manhattan?
  3. the most economical public transportation options between the airport and Midtown Manhattan?
  4. the overall best option between the two locations?

Additional question.  How safe is the subway in Manhattan?  How safe is Manhattan?  If we walk from the subway station to the hotel with our rollaboards, will we be wearing an implied sign that says, "easy target for robbers and muggers?"  You can tell I know very little about being in NYC.

Please and Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
  • Re: Which airport provides the easiest commute to Manhattan?  JFK or EWR?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

EWR... Short train right from the airport for my money. We use the subway all the time and have never felt unsafe.  Walking from subway to hotels is not an issue..Some sidewalks are a bit uneven, but once again, we roll our small rollerbags all the time

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The only thing that can feel intimidating is the crush of fast moving people.  Get a couple of maps online for the subway and the train station.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

From an airport reliability, JFK has fewer delays than EWR.  It doesn't take much to have significant delays at EWR.  Working in NY as I do, I monitor especially on Thursdays to see how my trip home will be!  I fly in and out of LGA and I have to rent a car so I don't use the public transportation.

Thanks, Frogs.  It looks like EWR has a big UA presence.  Given UA's poor reputation for not being on time, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection there between the airport and the airline.  UA is not in the same alliance as my usual carriers, hmmm...

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I bailed on UA because of the HEADACHES I endured at their expense week after week after week ... I could go on ... I would have been Diamond with them but bailed at Platinum and went to Delta flying in and out of LGA.  VERY few problems with flight issues even in the winter!!!!

Have fun in NYC!  I am in Brooklyn overlooking Manhattan at the Brooklyn Bridge.  Beautiful city and harbor that are my views from the hotel.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

pluto77,

You'll love NYC, subways are a breeze and walking around is safer than most cities in my opinion.  We've walked from Central Park down to 20th St. and back with no issues even at 10 PM, walked right through Grand Central on the way back to our hotel on 54th and Avenue of The America's.  Just make sure you stop in at some of the deli's to grab a little taste of the city.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yeah, EWR sounds like it has the easiest public transport connection. I've certainly had no worries about NYC subways, even staying off Manhattan, just watch out for running times if you're on a particularly late night or not on Manhattan island itself.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Good question, and for me, it depends on which airline you're arriving at a particular airport, where you plan to stay in Manhattan, if you plan to rent an auto, and expense and time you incur getting into the city. In the past, when I arrived at Newark, NJ, I took the bus to the NY Port Authority and then taxi to my hotel. I seldom fly into Newark now; primarily LaGuardia or JFK, and I usually take a taxi, however, the train would be cheaper.

Staying anywhere in NYC is expensive, and so is auto parking, not to mention the traffic in the city, should you decide to drive. Therefore, the taxi ride into the city is one of my least-anticipated expenses, and I don't have to concern myself with parking, or driving.

Regarding the city subway system, it's quite safe, well policed and the easiest/quickest way to travel a distance, i.e., from Midtown to SoHo-Wall Street area. I usually walk the city blocks in Midtown, or if in time constraint, take a taxi.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Pluto, I live in NYC... hope you have a great trip!!!

It is a safe city, just keep your wits about you as you would in any city.  The subway is very safe... again just pay attention to the activity around you.  Like any city, there are areas you do not want to venture into.

I'd say EWR would be the best airport to fly into as they have train or bus service directly into midtown. From JFK, you'd have to take the air train to Jamaica to switch to the subway or LIRR into Manhattan, Jamaica isn't a very desirable area though.  Or you could take a reputable van service from either airport.  I don't know of bus service from JFK although iIt probably exists.

Hope you have a great time!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

pluto77,

Lots of great points made from the posters. I will weigh in since I live 20 mins from EWR.

EWR:

More possible flight delays

Easy free Airtrain access from all terminals to NJ Transit EWR station

NJ transit goes directly to Penn Station NY

Take the 4 5 6 train to the 51st street stop right at the hotel.

JFK:

In general, fewer delays

Airtrain access to Jamaica LIRR and subway.

Both LIRR and subway go to Manhattan, LIRR to Penn Station subway to more areas.

LIRR is definitely faster than subway but pricier.

Both options are roughly the same amount of travel time from the airport to the hotel. I wouldn't feel unsafe using the subway. If you use JFK, I would use LIRR then go to subway at Penn NY. I wouldn't take the E train from Jamaica that is slow and lousy in general. If you have any further questions let me know.

nekkorota Member

I usually use Cheap hotels in New York, Find Discount Hotel Rooms / Rates in New York, NY - HotelsCheap.org for my reservations there and it shows that EWR is better, just a train ride away or you can get a deal with your cabbie. JFK is often overcrowded and I won't recommend it.

Platinum 28 Reviews

As I frequent traveler to NYC and a customer of Dial7 towncar service   who's services at both airports are superb  (yes the one with the oldest towncars that are not always as clean as you would like - BUT RELIABLE!!!!)  HANDS DOWN I PREFER EWR!

Traffic is not an issue as it is horrible from both "ports":  (My home is Los Angeles - making me an EXPERT on the subject of traffic).  I am of this opinion for a few reasons:  1, I firmly believe it is easier to get into and out of EWR compared to JFK.  2.  Actually love the restaurants in the United Terminal (originally Continental) at EWR,  3.  EWS is closer to Manhattan than JFK.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I have to disagree with a lot of the posts here. I also frequently travel to NYC and I think JFK by far is the better and easier airport. At JFK you can take the Airtran for $5 to the Jamaica or Howard Beach stationand from there one subway train right to Manhattan. It is easy, safe and only one transfer for a total cost of about $7 each way. JFK is large airport with lots of options for food, less delays, newer terminals (depending on what airline) and I have never have a problem getting in and out quickly. Not sure where your coming from but I highly recommend Jet Blue if you can fly them into JFK. You will love this airline. Free live TV on every seat and very comfortable seats. JFK is their main hub so it should be cheaper then most other airlines.

Thanks to everyone for many great replies, most helpful and informative.  A lively discussion that I hope will benefit many Insiders traveling to NYC for the first time or else unfamiliar with any of the airports or public transit.

We purchased our tickets on AA (LAX-JFK), taking into account the itinerary and pricing, but I certainly appreciate the perspectives provided for utilizing each of the airports, including LGA (Frogs).  It sounds like each airport and routing from airport into Manhattan has both it's 's and 's.  EWR sounds like the easiest and least expensive, but well, then there is the fact of flying UA, so... taxman193, I will take a look/see at JetBlue (and whether or not it's a good fit) for future flights.  I also appreciate the info provided by others regarding van and towncar service.

It will be just me and my Dear Mama, so I appreciate the addressing of our safety concerns.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...