9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2014 7:54 AM by brightlybob RSS

Nights not counted if you make your reservations through Marriott Vacations!?

lovesmarriotts-albanyny Silver 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I Stayed at the Marriott Stanton South Beach Miami Florida. I am 7 nights away from gold. With the 4 nights I just spent in Miami would have left me with only 3 more nights to reach gold. Would someone tell me why does Marriott Vacation not count towards me Marriott night?  Marriott is Mariott right??  I can't believe this!!!!  So close but soooooo far away from gold.  What should I do?  Stay 7 days before the end of the year. Or just give up on Marriott altogether?  The latter is strong in my mind.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Nights not counted if you make your reservations through Marriott Vacations!?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great questions, lovesmarriotts-albanyny. I'm looking into getting clarity on these questions for you, and will let you know what I learn!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Nights not counted if you make your reservations through Marriott Vacations!?
      skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

From the vacationsbymarriott.com website under FAQ  Kid and Family Friendly Vacation Packages and Deals

Marriott Rewards

Q: Will I receive Marriott Rewards® points for purchasing a package?

A: Marriott Rewards® members will receive a total of 5,000 Marriott Rewards® points for booking a vacation package on Vacations by Marriott.  Due to the discounted nature of its packages, Vacations by Marriott is unable to provide additional Marriott Rewards® points beyond the 5,000 points you will receive for your vacation package booking, or to provide qualifying nights used toward Marriott Rewards® Silver, Gold or Platinum status.  However, members can receive points for incidental purchases made during their stay.

Q: When will the 5,000 Marriott Rewards® points for booking a vacation package be credited to my account?

A: Marriott Rewards® points are credited to the member's account 4 - 6 weeks after travel has been completed.  If you are not currently a Marriott Rewards® member, visit www.MarriottRewards.com and click Join Marriott Rewards to sign up.

Q: Can I use my Marriott Rewards® points or frequent flyer miles to purchase a package?

A: No, at this time you cannot use Marriott Rewards® points or frequent flyer miles to purchase Vacations by Marriott packages.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks skiadcock, your answer is spot on! I learned that Marriott Vacations is actually a third-party and yes, it's true, that reservations booked through Marriott Vacations do not earn Elite nights. lovesmarriotts-albanyny , I recommend calling guest services around the end of January, and they can see what options they have for you if you are unable to maintain your Gold status.

techbear Silver

I just stayed 5 nights at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman and was told the same thing. Anything booked through Marriott vacations does not qualify for nights added to your account. Why use Marriott Vacations then?

lovesmarriotts-albanyny Silver 2 Reviews

Thank you for your responses but I am still confused about the statement ‘Due to the discounted nature of its packages, Vacations by Marriott ….’.  When I stay at a Marriott for work, I stay at a government rate which is a discounted rate.  When I use my AAA, I stay at a discounted rate and both types are counted towards my nights.  What is the difference between those lower rates and Marriott Vacation lower rates?  I think it is a big rip off.  When someone starts a reservation at Marriott Vacation a pop up should say ‘If you a Marriott Rewards Member DON’T USE THIS SITE.  We have other disturbing pop ups.  I think that would be a good pop up.  That would have helped techbear, myself and (I’m sure) countless others. I will say something positive.  I did call Marriott Rewards and spoke with a representative.  She spoke with her supervisor and told me that they could not give me the nights.  That I still had to do my seven nights to make gold.  I continue debating this until she put her supervisor on the phone.  He continued to say he could not give me the nights.  I then said that a co-worker of mine reserved a few days with money coupled with a few e-certificates and she was given the courtesy of ‘by the end of the year if she needed those nights to reach her next level, they would give them to her’.  I told him that is all I want is the same courtesy.  He said he could do that.  He said he would put it in my file and he did.  I checked later.  I also asked him to email me the details of our conversation but by the time I left work, I did not have it. So thanks Marriott Rewards for the courtesy.  I was going to start using my husband’s Hilton Honor instead of staying at any Marriott.

erc Platinum

NathalieF

I knew the answer to this question - how? By reading the disgruntled reports of others thru the years (since 2009)

You had asked earlier in the forum, "how do we take guest loyalty to the next level?" and many of us responded, "start by doing the basics well and at least return to prior competence".

lovesmarriotts-albanyny  takes the time to share their extremely disappointing (and many of us might say, misleading) experience and there is little evidence that those thoughtful efforts will spare others the same letdown. Look at the right (Orange) More Like This column - not one of the following articles are mentioned. This function has been mediocre at best since the dawn of time. If you were to spearhead an effective effort to make the Search function and the More Like This column more relevant, we would all hail you as a business hero. Best wishes toward obtaining that modest, but worthwhile goal.

Vacations by Marriott a Rip Off

Vacations by Marriott: Scam or Worth it?

Vacations By Marriott :-(

marriott vacations-no credit for stays

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow -I didn't even see those. That really is a thumbs down. What's so sad is2secomds of Google search brought up the answer bit Lindsay had to go back and check (nothing against her). Honest to goodness you'd think they'd provide insiders with the various t&c' s 're of Marriott rewards or vacation. Flip through a few pages and respond (on basic stuff) cheers

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oooooer, one for the memory banks this, thanks to all who've contributed. I'll keep clear...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...