8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2014 7:05 PM by bejacob RSS

Fix the hotel category listings error for crikey's sake!!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So on the Marriott website you used to be able to pull up a listing of all hotels in a particular category worldwide.  This was a normal part of the site & quite helpful if, for example, you wanted to see all Cat 4s or Cat 5s to see what was  available to use certs, or any other categories.  It literally showed by city, state, country - all at one time.  Let me repeat - it was a very useful section of the website.

You needed to be logged into Marriott website.  Fair enough.  This link... marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardtype=standard (with a https:// at the beginning). 

...would take you to a listing of hotel categories 1-9, # of points needed for 1 night stay, saver points required (generic but helpful info) for both Marriott & Ritz.  Also in the upper right there would be a drop down menu by category.  Click on the category & voila, all the properties would appear in a very nice format by state & country - aka, a master list that you could scroll down easily.

Here's an example of Cat 5 & how it would display (truncated because the list is too long):

ALABAMA

Florence: Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa

Montgomery: Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center

Tuscaloosa: Fairfield Inn Tuscaloosa

ALASKA

Fairbanks: SpringHill Suites Fairbanks

GERMANY

Berlin: Courtyard Berlin City Center

Cologne: Courtyard Cologne

Duesseldorf: Renaissance Duesseldorf Hotel

Leipzig: Leipzig Marriott Hotel

INDONESIA

Bali: The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection

Seminyak Bali: Courtyard by Marriott Bali Seminyak

ITALY

Naples: Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo

Rome: Rome Marriott Park Hotel

Turin: AC Hotel Torino

Barga: Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa

Now, however - and most importantly - for the last month, when you click on a category in the right side you get this message:

marriott.com/error.mi (with a https:// at the beginning)

"General Error

We are experiencing technical difficulties.  Please try again."

So the only 'work-around' - which is incredibly time-consuming -  is to go by state or country & try to pull up all the properties & then winnow them down from there.  Talk about a slap in the face to Marriott customers!  We value your time so little that rather than fixing the problem in a timely fashion we'll just make you eat up lots of your time doing a work-around.

Here's the thing.  Marriott has known for at least a month of the problem - but has done nothing to correct the error!!!  IT SHOULDN'T TAKE A MONTH TO FIX AN ERROR ON THE WEBSITE FOR SOMETHING THAT IS A BASIC PART OF THE SITE/IS HELPFUL TO ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN USING THEIR POINTS/WANTS TO SEE PROPERTIES AVAILABLE.  'Nuf said.

A Marriott Rewards agent told a FTer is that it is because the number of hotels is too many to sort.  Obviously that's not true because the feature was available and working for years before it broke.  Another misinformed agent.

So joshm, lindsey, et al.  How about kicking the door in on Marriott IT & tell them to fix the problem.  Quite frankly it's embarrassing to Marriott that a company of its size & resources would allow an error code to last so long on its website.  We're not talking about rejiggering the site with floating clouds or creating more clicks or enhancing the website - we're talking about fixing an error.

BTW - for those who are interested in knowing which Cat 5 & Cat 4 categories, the "wikis" in these 2 threads have the complete listing (garnered before the website error). 

Best Category 5 properties - FlyerTalk Forums

Best Category 4 hotels - FlyerTalk Forums

Unfortunately the other category listings aren't available because, oh yeah, the website comes back with an error code

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Fix the hotel category listings error for crikey's sake!!
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Thank you for bringing this up, skiadcock. I noticed it a couple of times but didn't give it much thought. I can't recall the last time it actually worked.

I ended up searching an area and then selected "use rewards points" to get an idea of the categories of certain hotels. It would be nice if they could get the list working again. I never used it much, but it does come in handy from time to time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Given how many times people post on Insiders & Flyertalk that they don't know where the Cat 1-4 & Cat 1-5 properties are located & thus 'can't use their certs', having a master list like used to be available - until the website broke - was incredibly helpful. 

But it's not just all about the 4-5s.  Because the points required for each Cat 1-9 are different, it's helpful to be able to pull up say a Cat 8 or Cat 1 & view a master list.

WHAT IS NOT HELPFUL MARRIOTT IS PULLING UP A STATE OR COUNTRY & HAVING TO CLICK ON EVERY SINGLE PROPERTY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE CATEGORY IS OF THAT PROPERTY.

Btw - I know the website was working in this category on August 19th because that's when I created the master list for the wiki in the Marriott forum on Flyertalk for the Cat 5 properties.  So that's 6-7 weeks since it's been working property.  Really a disgrace that Marriott IT hasn't fixed it yet, especially since some FTers said they sent emails re: the situation.

Cheers.

ecj Gold

I Agree 100% this is a very useful feature that shouldn't be broken. @skiadcock

I have a cat 4 cert to use and just went to use the function, then came here to find out what was up.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I hear you, skiadcock, and completely understand your frustrations with the site's functionality. I appreciate you and bejacob sharing your perspectives and experiences with us in such detail and length, and am going to pass this on to the greater team so that they may see it as well.

Thanks Lindsey.  I want to emphasize something.  This is not just asking for something that would be nice to have on the website.  It's fixing something that worked properly on the website for years & broke about 6 weeks ago. 

No one should receive a message like this from a major corporation like Marriott for that many weeks.  It's totally embarrassing to Marriott.  It's not like Marriott is a fly-by-night corporation that doesn't have the resources or IT staff to fix boo-boos.

"General Error

We are experiencing technical difficulties.  Please try again."

Cheers.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just happened to be looking at this section of the Marriott website today. It appears to be working properly again. Thought I should share this info, especially with skiadcock. Hope you have the same success I did.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...