3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2014 4:42 AM by flyingtwig RSS

Australia Credit Card - Marriott Rewards

flyingtwig Gold 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone know if we'll ever be able to get Marriott Rewards Credit Card in Australia? It's really annoying that it shows up in my account EVERY time I log in yet isn't available to me as I don't live in the US. Would be great to have this card as I do a lot of Marriott spend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Australia Credit Card - Marriott Rewards
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I don't know about Australia, but the Marriott Credit Card can cause frustration here in the UK as well.  I have a UK Marriott Card, and the difference in the rewards here in comparison to the US is abysmal.  We are very much the poor relations!  Ain't that right brightlybob?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Can anyone spare a point, anyone?

Aye, Tommo781 we Brits are the poor relations to the USA and Canadian cards. As I mentioned in another post we may be getting an improved offering later, though I suspect it will still lag behind our North American cousins.

The issuance of a loyalty credit card does I think have more to do with the maturity of the credit market than the supposed hotel/airline issuers. The American market is highly mature, customers are not averse to carrying several cards and banks see hotel/airline linked cards as a way of tempting customers to hold and use theirs, as opposed to the hotels/airlines believing it is a necessary part of their program to offer a linked credit card. The development of competitive loyalty credit cards is therefore far more in the hands of the banks, than the airlines/hotels.

I've no doubt Marriott would be happy to see it's branded credit cards pop up all over the world, but Its not an activity Marriott itself will undertake. Until a local bank in each jurisdiction thinks there's enough traction in a Marriott card to justify the costs of registration, development, the points and benefits, none will appear.

I have to say that with only 6 Marriotts across Australia, I doubt any Australian bank is going to detect a significant demand for a Marriott credit card. Unless Marriott considerably increases it's hotel coverage down under I don't see any change to that picture.

So, no. No Marriott credit card for Australia. Not this year. Not this decade.

flyingtwig Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks guys, my feeling to. Oh well, one day we'll have banks that target the international traveler for these types of deals rather than domestic.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...