26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2014 5:14 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Dublin, Ireland... Ideas?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am excited to say my next out of the USA trip is scheduled for Dublin. I'll have 10 days in country. I wil be working for parts of 7 of those days. I'm looking for walking tours, bus tours, train tours, etc. I may do a weekend rental car so I am open to any and all ideas. Hey arkwright , @chrisf, sg1974, map making pluto77, jerrycoin, californian, erc, razorbackfan.... Get in on this, please!  Oh, I'll bet brightlybob has an idea or two for Dublin, also.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
  • Re: Dublin, Ireland... Ideas?
    sg1974 Gold

it was a few years since we were last in Dublin. here are some of the more memorable sites that i recall:

Kilmainham Gaol Heritage Ireland: Kilmainham Gaol

the tour was very good.

Guiness tour.Guinness Storehouse ® - Things to do in Dublin, Ireland

it is not like a whisky tour where you are actually inside a working distillery. But it gives you the information of the processes involved, also you get a guiness at the end at a bar with a nice view.

Christ Church Cathedral Dublin Cathedral | Dublin Attractions | The Crypt Dublin

trinity college Visitors - Trinity College Dublin

there is plenty more to see, others will be add to the list.

we used the hop on hop off bus tour, which certainly gave the legs a rest.

Dublin Tours, Dublin Attractions - Dublinsightseeing.ie

outside of dublin you should visit Malahide Castle

The Castle | Malahide Castle and Gardens, Malahide, Dublin, Ireland

most importantly, enjoy the guiness, because it does taste nice over there!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

TThanks sg!   This is a great start.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hi, Pained.  Wish I could help with ideas, but I have never been to Ireland.  It is on my bucket list, along with Scotland and England.  I'll be taking notes on the ideas other MI's give you.  Have a wonderful trip.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

painedplatinum,

Razorback, and I have never been to Ireland.  Want to go, but can't help.  You should get some wonderful ideas from many of our wonderful MRI friends in GB!

sg1974, is a fantastic source of travel information as well as a personally great guy.  You should have a fantastic time!

Thanks RBF,   I figured I'd check to see if there was a Santa hat picture from Dublin!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I have been to Dublin, and was about to give you suggestions, when I saw that sg1974 had beaten me to it!

I would have said the same things.  I always recommend a  tour bus as one of the first things to do in any city someone hasn't been to before.  You get a good feel for the place that way.

And the Guiness storehouse is great.  With wonderful views when you get to the bar at top.

Excellent, Tommo... Backing up sg and his ideas are a big help.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, thanks for the shoutout PP. Alas, though I've visited Dublin several times, I don't rate it as a "must see" City.

That may be because it was one of Europe's first "stag night cities" and so almost all my visits were considerably alcohol-impaired by the delights of Temple Bar, a very characteristic pub area. If you're not there to party and get wildly drunk I'd avoid the area in the evenings, but it's very nice to visit during the daytime. The cathedral is lovely, but pales by comparison to Europe's best. There's a particularly grim former prison that now serves as a museum. Dublin is a very walkable city and hence enjoyable for that.

As for places to stay, well apart from the cheapo options I used on stag-visits, I'd rate The Merrion in the city centre, and in the 'burbs, Clontarf Castle. I've never stayed at the 2 Marriott options, but The Ren Shelbourne is a historic building and highly rated, and out-of-city the Autograph Powerscourt was formerly the a Ritz-Carlton, and I personally think it switched to Autograph more because of the local market conditions, no demand for a uber-deluxe hotel, so I reckon that could prove an eye-popping value option. RC hotel for Marriott money!

bb ,   oh the days of old!  I've had a couple of adventures like the ones you've mentioned....way back then. Thanks for the suggestions!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oh, yeah PP, it's been much more than a few years, and christenings, since I last lurched my way through Temple Bar! Happy (but mainly hazy) memories

Not so sure I'd enjoy its late-night delights so much now, unless they're serving a nice warm Horlicks and a pair of slippers...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

painedplatinum - I've not traveled as much in Ireland as I have in England, but I would venture to say that while there are some interesting sites in Northern Ireland, such as National Trust, "Giant's Causeway" on the north coast, my favorite areas of the country are the West and the Republic of Ireland (south), and what is called "The Ring of Kerry".  You might not have seen one of my earlier photo pages: IRELAND

If you've ever heard of Donegal Knits, you might enjoy shopping there just off the N15, and along this coast road to Sligo and Westport you'll experience a beautiful mountain range. But, then the coastal road (R335) to "Patrick's Croagh" to Louisburg and to Clifden, and Galway is even more breathtaking!  And, you don't want to miss the "Cliffs of Moher" , south of Galway. From there, you can take the N22 from Limerick to Cork and then the N25 to Waterford ("Ring of Kerry"). (See photos in IRELAND post here)

All this, of course, assumes you don't spend all your time in Dublin.

For added information, Northern Ireland continues to use the British Pound, while the Republic uses the Irish Pound currency, so you might plan accordingly.

Thanks Fred,  great ideas!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

would definitely take the hop on hop off bus. Guinness is a must but one recommendation since the bus goes in order look at all the stops and decide in order since if you pass one you have to go all the way around again . the jail and Christ church would be two more stops as well as the temple Sq area of pubs

Thanks jerryl. I have just a couple of experiences using the hop on hop off buses around the world. Your suggestions for Christ Church and the jail sound great.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Sorry.  It has been so many years since I was there that I don't remember.  I, like many, started out foreign travel in Europe and then ventured farther.  What I do remember is rain and fog for most of my time there.  I was there in late June and early July.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Pained,

Looks like you're in the money now.  Good going, everyone!

Oh yes, I'm in the money...and there are a few east of the Atlantic folks yet to check in. This will only get better.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear PP,

I'd endorse most of the suggestions put forward, as well as the reservations expressed regarding the Temple Bar area. The latter is for people a good deal younger than I; it has, I think, become a victim of its own success, but each to their own.

The Shelbourne is a good hotel and well situated - though, as I recall, a charge is placed on alcohol consumed in the Executive Lounge.

Outside of the city, I tend to focus on the Curragh Racecourse - again perhaps not your "cup of tea"! A drive I used to enjoy would take you past the Curragh ( a military base of the same name was the scene of a major incident during the early 20th century conflict between the UK and Eire); on to the Irish National Stud (again perhaps not your thing), then down across the Wicklow Hills towards Wexford; and back via what used to be a Marriott establishment at Druids Glen (excellent golf courses); and to Dublin.

Enjoy yourselves

A

Thanks so much, arkwright. I appreciate your suggestions and will certainly tie them in!

I see that both profchiara and newhiltonmembr have some levels of experience for Dublin travel..Please check in folks!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Good recommendations above.

I'd add seeing the Book of Kells and St. Patrick's grave at Trinity College, St. Kevin's Kitchen in Glendalough and if you can the Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher.  There's a ton to see.  Maybe the Waterford Crystal location?  They used to give tours and I think they may have stopped for a while but, for some reason, I thought they started them again.  Many cute towns to see.

I'm always a fan of a good horse back ride in the country!

Can you fly into Dublin and out of Shannon?  That would get you over towards the Ring and the Cliffs!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

newhiltonmembr - Regarding your question about airports, yes, you can fly into Shannon, or Dublin, and out of either, at least from Atlanta.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

fschumpert  - Thanks, I do know that I can fly open-jaw into one city and out of the other. 

I was wondering if @painedplatinum has that option available to him.  It doesn't really cost any more and saves a lot of backtracking.  I do it all the time in my European travels.

newhiltonmembr,  Great idea, but my itinerary is in and out of Dublin, no flexibility this time. Hopefully, this will be my first of many visits and will fly home from Shannon on the next adventure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...