4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2014 11:45 AM by skiadcock RSS

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro

TOtraveller Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all, I currently have reservations at the JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro for whole week in October - 5 nights using points, rest cash (~$350/night).

I am a gold elite member. I have read VERY mixed reviews for this hotel.  Many are saying it does not measure to the JW standards - the name and price are only because of location, so I am torn.  It is mostly a points visit, and I am hoping for a very positive experience.

Does anyone have experience at this hotel?  And if you are a gold elite member, was this valued? I believe being a gold should allow me access to the Griffin Club (ie. their concierge lounge) and free internet (surprisingly there usually is a fee). Can I expect a room upgrade?

Many thanks for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

You might want to read this extensive thread on the JW Rio on Flyertalk.  Start at the end & work your way backwards, as the more recent posts are towards the end.  Cheers.

JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro - FlyerTalk Forums

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

TOtraveller Gold

thanks skiadcock.  I will check it out.

TOtraveller Gold

FYI to anyone travelling to Brazil and possibly abroad.

DO NOT BUY AMEX travellers cheques.

No stores accept them and Almost no bank will take them either.

A few money exchanges do and offer 10-15% discount to cash !

so much for the old AMEX commercials ... accepted everyone, yada yada yada.

I have never encountered to much hassle trying to get local currency

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Travelers checks anywhere are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty.  There is an American Express office on Oria Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro.  Supposedly it's in a large historical building.  If you go there they'll do the exchange easily, without any discount.  The hotel can tell/show you where it's located.

When I need local currency I either go to my home bank in advance & get it there (it usually takes 48-72 hours), or just go to an ATM upon arrival in a country, usually the airport, & do a withdrawal.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...