14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2015 9:12 AM by mrsnoot RSS

Elite Member Global Upgrade Thread - your experiences

mrsnoot Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone,

with this thread I want to share my room upgrades that I got from last year till now. Maybe you want to add your experiences.   

A room upgrade is defined at following: a room on exec floor, larger room or suite.

In my list an upgrade is not given if the room is on a higher floor or far aways from elevator. This is for me a standard room because it is not more expensive and has the same category.

I won't bring up lounge access because this is not subject to availibility.

I am now platinum therefore gold. In this list there are only FS hotels and Courtyard

in toto:    

• 48 stays      
    • 0 upgrades to suite or junior suite (0%)
    • 1 upgrade to larger room (2%)
    • 7 upgrade to Exec floor (without larger room) 15%

That means with every 6th stay I got an upgrade, and every 50th stay to a larger room. Never ever suites

en detail:

• Marriott Leipzig, Germany: ~10 stays, 3 x upgrade to Exec Floor, 0 Junior Suite or Suite
  • Bochum, Germany: 4 stays, 0 upgrades
  • Berlin, Germany: 2 stays, 1 x Exec Floor
  • Heidelberg, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Stuttgart-Sindelfingen, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Cologne, Germany, 2 stays, 0 upgrade
  • Düsseldorf, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Munich, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Munich-Airport, Freising, Germany 4 stays, 1 upgrade to larger guest room
  • Hannover, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Wiesbaden, Germany, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Frankfurt, Germany, 3 stays, 1 upgrade to Exec Floor
  • Bremen, Germany, 2 stays, 0 upgrades
  • Manchester, UK, 2 stays, 0 upgrades,
  • Newcastle Marriot Gothfork, 3 stays, 0 upgrades
  • Aberdeen Marriott,UK,, 2 stays, 0 upgrades
  • Aberdeen Courtyard, UK, 2 stays 0 upgrade
  • Praya del Rey Marriott, Portugal, 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Autograph Collection, Chicago, 1 stay, 1 upgrade to Exec Floor
  • Marriott Seattle, Redmond (seatttle), 1 stay, 0 upgrade
  • Marriott Seattle Waterfront, 1 stay 0 upgrade
  • Marriott Seattle Airport, 1 stay, 1 upgrade to Exec floor
  • Marriott Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, CA 1 stay, 0 upgrade.

Thanks,

MrSnoot

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amsterdam, Netherlands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
Baltimore, Maryland, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
  • Re: Elite Member Global Upgrade Thread - your experiences
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi MrSnoot,

I'm not staying at Marriotts anymore, but the only Marriotts I ever got upgrades even as a PP were the same places where I ALWAYS got upgrades (Athens Ledra, no longer a Marriott, but rated highly on tripadvisor); Ghent Marriott; Brussels Marriott; and sometimes the Grand Flora in Rome.  Aside from those (which admittedly other than the [agh] Rive Gauche Paris were where I stayed most often because of my travel patterns), I never got upgrades.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Great post mrsnoot!  Thanks for putting all of that together! 

Here's my experience: 

Waikiki Beach Marriott:  4 stays, 1 no status, 1 silver, 1 gold, 1 plat.  Upgraded all 4 times, once to Jr Suite

CY Waikiki Beach:  6 stays, always booked suite since it's just slightly more than standard room

Ren LAX:  1 stay, 1 upgrade to Jr Suite

FF Anaheim Disneyland:  1 stay, 1 upgrade to character room

Wailea Beach Marriott:  1 stay, 1 upgrade to ocean view room (with barely any ocean view)

CY Maui Kahului Airport:  1 stay, 0 upgrade

JW Marriott Ihilani:  2 stays, 2 upgrades (1 to suite)

Ren LHR:  1 stay, 0 upgrade

Ren Paris La Defense:  1 stay, 1 upgrade (superior room requested in advanced)

Berlin Marriott:  1 stay, 0 upgrades

Marriott Grand Hotel Flora:  1 stay, 1 upgrade (suite, requested in advanced) 

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good Morning mrsnoot      (Still evening here in California)

Much thanks for alerting me on your "thread".

This "well" discussed and debated subject might go all the way back to Dark Ages!

It has been my experience (averaging 50-60 nights a year for the last dozen or so) that upgrade policies are as far away from "uniform" as breakfast differs in New York compared to  Beijing!

We all seem to forget that most properties (full service) believe they are doing us the grand and ultimate favor of allowing us in the same small room as everyone else BUT our key is programmed to utilize the CL! 

The access to CL's is THE LEAST THEY CAN DO in recognition that we are their most important customers.

Now, as to the specifics of my experience:

I have yet to visit an Autograph Collection property where the staff bent over backwards to see that you received the best room possible on arrival.  It is quite refreshing to really be treated as a special guest after the "tolerance attitude" of large full service Marriott branded properties in major cities. Consequently if there is a property in this category it is my first choice.  (Renaissance properties are usually my second choice as I have been upgraded with ease on more occasions that Marriotts)

Now switching gears a little to mid-size cities or suburban areas of major cities - It has been my experience that the opportunity for an upgrade (along with sincere service) is widespread in this population category.

Now, let's talk about VACATIONS!!!! - which, ofcourse, translates into the property being classified as a "resort" - this classification give them immunity from the necessity of giving you  breakfast so one is lucky to obtain a room with a bathroom inside the room!! (LOL) - when visiting a resort I don't even attempt to ask them when it is not offered, and then be embarrassed by the turn down.  I just book the better accommodations when available for additional points. (This experience just about covers all Hawaiian properties which are a favorite of us "left coasters".

I have found it very important if one visits the same resort regularly it really helps to make as many friends of the management staff you can (if the opportunity presents itself).  Without mentioning specific properties, I now receive upgrades regularly at one California resort and one in Hawaii by keeping in touch with one or two senior  staff.  This is done with greeting cards, remembering any dates that are special to the staff member and their family.

Well MrSnoot it is 11:55PM  here so I think I will call it a day - tomorrow I'm going to join 50,000 of my closest friends

at a baseball game.  My hometown team has qualified for the playoffs  which if successful will lead to participation in the   World Series......a long way off right now, but to quote that great philosopher Thomas Lasorda - "God IS a Dodger fan!!!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OK, I'll play. I classify an upgrade as a more expensive room, so whatever sells for more cash, corner rooms, golfcourse views, superior rooms, exec floor rooms, etc... I always book the cheapest room except where I need say a double/double because of kids, of course it can be difficult to upgrade from these types of room.

Additionally, I've *starred* hotels with exec lounges. All except Ottawa and Toronto serve free beer/wine, some restricted, step forward London JW (on the other hand it's food offerings are really good) and Leicester, some astonishingly liberal, London St Pancras, Leeds and Copenhagen spring to mind here.

(*open weekdays only. **open 7 days week, except Rive Gauche which is 6 days/wk)

These are to the best of my memory over the past few years.

BELGIUM

Brussels** Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

Brussels* Ren, 1 stay, upgraded

CANADA

Ottawa* Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

Toronto* Airport Marriott, 1 stay, no upgrade

DENMARK

Copenhagen** Marriott 1 stay, upgraded.

FRANCE

Monaco Marriott, 1 stay, no upgrade

Paris CE Marriott, 2 stays, 1 upgrade to suite

Paris** Rive Gauche Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

HUNGARY

Budapest Autograph, 1 stay, upgraded to suite (for a week!)

RUSSIA

Moscow** Royal Aurora Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

SPAIN

Barcelona Fira Ren, 4 stays, 4 upgrades, 2 to suite

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

Dubai** JW, 1 stay, upgraded

UNITED KINGDOM

BexleyHeath Marriott, 5 stays, 4 upgrades, 2 to suites

Birmingham Marriott, 10 stays, 9 upgrades

Birmingham Arden Marriott, 4 stays, 2 upgrades

Bradford Hollins Marriott, 3 stays, 3 upgrades

Bristol** Marriott, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

Bristol Marriott Royal, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

Cardiff** Marriott, 4 stays, 4 upgrades

Chepstow Marriott, 2 stays, 1 upgrade to suite

Cheshunt Marriott, 2 stays, no upgrade

Derby Breadsall Marriott, 3 stays, 2 upgrades

Durham Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded to suite

Edinburgh Autograph, 1 stay, upgraded

Edinburgh** Marriott, 1 stay, no upgrade

Huntingdon Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

Leeds** Marriott 10 stays, 8 upgrades, 1 to suite

Leicester* Marriott 10 stays, 8 upgrades

Lingfield Marriott, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

Liverpool Marriott, 3 stays, 3 upgrades

London** Grosvenor Sq Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded to suite

London** Heathrow Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

London** Heathrow Ren, 10 stays, 8 upgrades, 1 to suite

London** JW, 5 stays, 5 upgrades

London** St Pancras Ren, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

London** WIQ Marriott, 3 stays, 3 upgrades

Manchester Victoria 3 stays, 3 upgrades

Manchester Worsley 6 stays, 4 upgrades, 1 to suite

Newcastle** Gosforth Marriott, 1 stay, no upgrade

Newcastle Metro Marriott, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

Peterborough Marriott, 10 stays, 8 upgrades, 1 to suite

Preston Marriott, 10 stays, 8 upgrades, 1 to suite

Portsmouth Marriott, 2 stays, 2 upgrades

Southampton Meon Marriott, 2 stays, 2 upgrades, 1 to suite

Swansea Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

Swindon Marriott, 3 stays, 3 upgrades

Waltham Abbey Marriott, 5 stays, 2 upgrades

Windsor* Marriott, 1 stay, upgraded

There are some issues with this list, Leicester has only 1 type of room, with or without exec lounge access, which as Gold/Plat I get anyway, and at Peterborough I'm always visiting local family with kids, so request a twin which has no chance of upgrading as there's only one twin classification. Interestingly enough, the only time I wasn't there with kids, they upgraded me to a suite. For both these hotels I've simply counted my average upgrade.

So of roughly 150 stays I'm at about 80% upgrades, of which about 15% were to suites. From my point of view, Marriott does adhere to its upgrade pledge, which is one reason why I continue to frequent it's hotels...

Message was edited by: brightlybob to add further info, inc lounge info

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Your experiences aside, upgrades seem to happen more at int'l properties than US/Canada.  Ed French (who's now with Ritz but was then w/ Marriott Rewards) even mentioned the % that elites get upgraded in the US - and the % was very low.

Cheers.

I am really surprised that the percentage of upgrades in the US is as low as people keep saying. It must adversely effect the perception of the scheme if delivery on this one is missed so often. Mind you, I guess thats why its such a perennial topic, both here and on FT!

If Gold/Plat guests are so common in the USA that there's insufficient rooms to have at least a 30% chance of delivering on the upgrades and bearing in mind that sometimes the exec rooms I stay in are simply with a dressing gown and mouthwash, why don't hotels just designate more rooms as exec by adding these? I am well aware that some hotels have "free upgrade rooms", rooms that are supposedly an upgrade but which they'd never charge for, here I think of the London West India Quay, where my upgrade is always to the lowest floor interior view tower room. If I paid for an upgrade to one of those I'd be pretty pi$$ed, I can tell you!

Marriott needs to try and do something about this in the US, but in the meantime in the EU, I remain a happy camper!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I suspect upgrades are more common non-US and harder to get in the US is simply a matter of numbers. A very high percentage of Elites are US and do all their travel in the US. So while the JWM in BKK might get 5 or 10 Elites per day (wild guess) a hotel in Houston might get 50.

Just a guess.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

International, 100% upgrades to suites. I have never missed in probably 100 stays at JWM in Bangkok, Singapore, Seoul.

US is another story. I get told the room I'm getting is an upgrade, but you couldn't prove it by me. Typically CY in SLC.

Since my last post on 4th Oct I've stayed at the following:

1 night at Southampton Meon Valley, upgraded to a suite.

7 nights at Leicester Marriott over 5 stays, no upgrades (though none to upgrade to).

4 nights at Philadelphia Marriott, upgraded to Concierge level on 21st floor, lounge on 23rd.

Just to add, Philły Marriott exec lounge is closed 10:30 Friday to 17:00 Sunday. No breakfast, 1000 points/night in lieu. This hotel posts points quickly, they were in my account the very next day, alas not accurately though, the 2000 points in lieu are missing, so its another call to Marriott for yet another point-shorting *groan*

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Mr Snoot,  My experiences may not be typical.  I frequently stay at Residence Inn & Fairfield Inn, where I have never received an upgrade.

However this year, I had two stays at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche and stayed in a suite, both stays.

At the  Amsterdam Marriott, we received an upgrade to a larger room.

At the Baltimore Harbor place Renaissance we received an upgrade to a suite.

The Paris and Amsterdam stays were during the winter when upgrades seem to be more available.  We were upgraded a total of thirteen nights at these three hotels.

Location Brand Hotel
    Amsterdam, Netherlands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
    Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

No complaints here....for the last 12 months I have had 18 stays and received 11 upgrades (62%).

Here is my breakdown:

upgrades.JPG

r0adwa4410r Platinum 1 Reviews

It must be the locations you all are staying. I rarely get upgraded. I am Platinum Lifetime, and the only "high percentage" for upgrades are in Asia. I have gotten upgrades in Rome before, but rarely in the states these days. I agree with the person that said a much higher percentage of occupants are rewards members in the states, however, I wish Marriott would act like the airlines and list what rank you are in the upgrade queue. Better transparency in the upgrade process. I have witnessed myself a silver member in London complain to the front desk and issued a suite. I was in a regular king and almost lost my cool. So I need to complain to get placed into a suite? What happened to "upgrade when available". I was completely taken back about the lie and room holding I witnessed.

travelmavenflorida Silver 5 Reviews

I am a SIlver Elite who will be a Gold Elite by the end of the year- I'll have my 50 nights by Dec. 31, 2014.  The only real room upgrade I have ever gotten was at an Autograph Hotel, the Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine, Fl. This is, by the way, a fantastic hotel in every way in a beautiful small city.  I got a really great large room due to my Marriott elite status.  Others in my business group got smaller rooms.  Since I usually get a handicapped room there isn't much room for actual upgrades, but the hotels always make sure I have a room with a nice view that is quiet.  No freebies for me, but I am usually granted a late checkout to 1:00 p.m. if I ask for it. 

mrsnoot Platinum 11 Reviews

Recently I got at Marriott Cologne the best upgrade ever.

As Platinum I've booked the smalles room for one night and what I got was the "Dom Suite" the largest suite at this property. 100 m^2 and additional terrace of 50m^2.

Thanks a lot, Marriott Cologne

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...