6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2014 2:12 PM by nuhusker RSS

Rewards Policy Questions for My Man Josh M

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The specified item was not found.
As one of the Insiders "go to research experts" could you please find the formal policy answer to the following two issues?

1) I'm aware of the formal policy of Concierge Benefits for elite and one guest (often times executed more liberally at the property level), but what is the formal policy for an Elite purchasing two rooms? Insiders, I've read many of the actual experiences and, if so desired, feel free to share them; but I would like to know the actual Marriott interpretation (and yes, I realize the CL is easily entered, I'm more interested in weekends when the CL is closed and breakfast coupons are provided)

2) (I believe I know the answer to this one) As all can tell from my pretty face, I'm not quite eligible for the Sr. Citizen rate (next year). I often travel with dear ol' Mom and several times the Senior rate is a savings from what I can get. Joshm if I use the senior rate, do elite benefits apply?  Now, I know several of you (much younger than I) have successfully used the rate and captured benefits, do not write in or Big Brother might smite you and your points. As a matter of fact, you should stop reading right now before joshm tells you. One of my sadder grocery store experiences was when Mrs. Erc informed my that my ignorant habit of slapping peppers and olives on my salad was wrong because they were priced at two different levels (and yes, I know I could get two containers, but c'mon) thus making me look like a nervous drug smuggler if I were ever to do it again.

Thanks josh, there's a Guinness (and other fine drafts) in it for you on your next trip to the Nation's Capital . And while I'm at it, please keep an eye on the Atlantis situation, it would break my heart if my annoying Hyatt loving friends inform me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Policy Questions for My Man Josh M
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

1. I regularly stay at UK Marriott's with members of my family and always book the lowest rate, which virtually always excludes breakfast. I've always been given lounge access for all rooms booked and where there's no lounge, or it's closed, free breakfast for all rooms. I arrange these get-together with my scattered family at least 2 or 3 times a year and have been doing this over 5 years now. Also when travelling "en famille" I regularly book a room for my kids and again they receive the same treatment. I think however this is a case of properties going "above and beyond" the basic requirements, something which happens as a matter of course outside the US/Canada and do know that the Marriott Marquis in NYC holds to the strict letter of the rule, allowing lounge access to only the plat/gold members room and only the actual member and 1 guest to enter at a time.

2. As I understand it, if a gold/plat elite member stays in the room, no matter what the rate, no matter via whatever agent or friend then elite benefits are applicable, but not points. Again I stay with family a few times each year and my mum and dad are both in their 70's, (I know, who'd guess with my youthful looks). So if I book the room and pay for it but my mum and dad sleep in it, can I book the senior rate and get points too? And since up to 2 rooms can be booked on the rate, can I book my room for me & the missus also on that rate as well, even though I'm patently not 62, nor is my missus? As you can guess from my question, I've never noticed the senior rate... Oops

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

1) I agree with you - I believe it's the 'extra level' service of non-American properties (perhaps as travel karma for your weaker credit card offers ).

2) This is what our man on the job, The specified item was not found. (see brightlybob's additional request for info above - thanks) is going to clear up (and then of course, folks can operate however they want - but at least we'll know the 'formal' interpretation of the policy). Hey, I read your Featured Insiders profile, we all know you're decades away from Senior Rate, don't rub it in. When you're using the Senior rate, my lodgers will be turning me over to avoid bedsores .

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I thought I understood what your question was in para 1...then I read para 2 and am totally confused.  I use the senior rate with no problem getting into the lounge or earning points.

erc Platinum

nuhusker

You are a senior, I'm still a young lad, months away from the eligibility. I sometimes take dear ol' mom and wanted to know if I used her rate for her room (or both of our rooms) would I get points, and as expected, the answer is no.

There may be the occasional time where her rate savings are worth the loss of points and I will adjust accordingly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...