9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2014 9:37 AM by kbscubadiver RSS

Making reservations for others and eligibility

Jsucool76 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So I had a few quick questions. I'm fairly new to the MR program, but recently acquired the chase marriot card so now marriot is my go-to hotel.

I see that there is a deal going "free nights for new members", and have already made reservations for 2 paid stays which will fall into eligibility timeframe for my account, however, one of the reservations I've made is for my mom for a stay that I will not be at. Will this reservation still count towards this promotion since it was made through my MR account, and it will be paid for with my marriot card? Will I receive points for this stay? And lastly, I made a second reservation for my mom using my annual free night from my marriot card, another stay I will not be present for, will she be able to use this free night if I am not there?

Thanks so much, in advance, for the help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Making reservations for others and eligibility
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

As far as i have read, you need to be present at check in to qualify for points and promotions. Unless the reservation is prepaid in advance, you will probably need to fill and send a credit card authorization form for them to charge your card, otherwise your mother will need to pay with a credit card of hers at check in. The free night certificates are non transferable so you have to be there in person checking in, i dont think they will allow anyone else other than you check in. You might want to check with the hotel directly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

I've made my mom an AU on my marriot card so that it will be able to get charged through my CC account, i'll at least get the 5pts/$1 for that I guess. I'll call the hotel tomorrow and see what's up. I told her she could use this years free annual night from my card since it was only cat1-4 and no where I travel has cat1-4 hotels. Apparently gator football season means cat5+ lol.

erc Platinum

I believe what we're going to find out when The specified item was not found. returns with his clarity is that as jm1991 writes, the certificates are not transferable. But as chautauquany writes, often times they can be used for others. I would venture to guess that if you did call the property like you wrote on 9/27, after some head scratching research, they would have sheepedly told you, "the certificates are not transferable".

That's the dilemma if you tip your hand and ask, they will be forced to follow the policy (no plausible deniability), if you don't ask (and even if you ask and they say, "sure, Come on down" what if at check in they don't?), you could run into a major headache/embarrassment at check-in as well as an unattractive 'day of' rate (and if you really got a hardnosed hotelier, however unlikely, perhaps even Rewards membership issues).

Many policies of the Rewards program are thoughtfully loosened/not stringently enforced to our benefit; The Catch, you never know when for certain (but it's good to know the policy to determine the level of the gamble).

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Make the reservations under your name & add your mother's name to the reservations.  Given the same last name & the authorized user on the card, my guess is it will probably be fine.  I doubt the properties will say anything, but your mom can always say you're coming in on a different flight. 

Cheers.

Jsucool76 Gold

I called up the reservation line a few weeks ago and had her name added to the reservation. We do have different last names though. Worst case scenario we just pay for it.

If they choose not to accept the voucher, will I get it back?

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

You can call the hotel and request an authorization form which allows someone else to be checked in but you keep your payment method and rewards information on file, you can even set a price limit for incidentals billed to the room.  Ive personally done this at least 15-20 different times to allow a family member to check in before I get there or Ive not been on property at all.

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm curious, it's the first time I've heard of an authorization form for checking in another person other than the person who book the room.  Why not add that person's name to the reservation like other suggested ?

Who do I call in the hotel to ask for the authorization form ?  The front desk ? I would appreciate more detail how this is done.  Thanks.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Authorization forms are usually for when someone else is staying & you're paying.  Could be employer, could be family member.  The form provides their info (arrival/departure date/name) & your credit card info & what you're willing to authorize (room only, internet, food & drink, etc).  If you call the hotel, the front desk should know about it.  If not, just ask for a manager.

Cheers.

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

Just call the hotel front desk, usually anyone that answers can email it to you immediately.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...