8 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2015 11:02 AM by ramoneur RSS

Mobile phone use during flights (Europe)

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

BBC News - Airlines cleared for mobile phone use during flights

British Airways, for example, already has a business-class-only flight from London to New York that lets passengers use wi-fi and send texts.

But they block voice-calls, because whenever they survey passengers, most baulk at the idea of everyone around them talking on the phone during a flight.

I would agree with the survey.

What are your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Mobile phone use during flights (Europe)
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree more!  I always try to book "quiet carriages" on trains here in the UK, but they are becoming rarer as passengers want to be able to chatter away on their mobile phones 24/7.  They don't care how much it disturbs other passengers.

I would never use a phone during a journey when I am in close proximity to other people, and I expect the same courtesy from others.  Sadly, I appear to be one of a dying breed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

It often seems that more and more people are becoming addicted to technological devices to the point that they appear to exist in a "technological bubble"  without realizing that anyone else exists.  The behavior exhibited is often rude and impolite to say the least as they are completely oblivious to their surroundings.  From time to time I see people driving through stop signs and red lights with an ipad or e-reader resting on the steering wheel of their auto or walking into objects including other people as they walk with their heads down using their devices.  Like you Tommo781, I feel like a dinosaur and wonder what the future holds.  Will machines dominate mankind and common courtesy completely fade away?

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree with you more gm1.  Modern technology and social media are all very well up to a point.  But they are taking over at the expense of face to face social reaction and common courtesy and manners.  My neighbours kids don't even bother to go round their friends houses now.  They just Facetime (or something like that).  All wrong and unhealthy IMHO.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

sg1974 - For me, I need a few places/spaces in my life to get away from dependence upon my electronic devices (Ipad, Iphone, computer, etc.); they occupy enough of my daily life already, so I'm not one who looks forward to use of cellphones on airplanes, as I'm already quite annoyed by those who talk loudly even during overnight flights to Europe!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I have to agree!  I don't like the idea of having access to phone calls while flying and don't want to be disturbed by a seatmate that wants to chatter away on their phone.  I'm glad we now have wi-fi - that at least allows us to take care of business and keeps us entertained on long flights!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

agree no phone calls but with gogo I usually sign up on flights over 3 hours. with my I pad can do all things text/ emails/ internet

ramoneur Platinum

I love flying; even the 10+ hour flights;

because my iphone stops vibrating and my android phone stops beeping

finally alone time

I hope this will stay like this for a while, but technology changes so fast nowadays...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...