10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2014 2:22 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Paris Trip for New Years Advice

travisbnewton Platinum 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Going to Paris for New Years and staying at the Paris Marriott Opera.    Does anyone have any advice for this destination and around this time?

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel
  • Re: Paris Trip for New Years Advice
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

travisbnewton,

Plan on it being cold and festive!

Have not been to Marriott Opera, but will pay it a visit in December myself!

If this is your first visit, or if you have detailed questions, please let us at MRI help!  If you are on a budget, you can get from CDG to this area very easily.  You can walk to The Louvre, The Seine, Notre Dame, and a lot more from your hotel.   Just make sure you take some warms cloths, hat and shoes, and plan for activities if the weather gets rough!

KIF_0885.JPG

Expect to see a lot of "Interesting people" and lots of wonderful lights this time of year!

KIF_0929.JPG

You will be "Dazzled"!

KIF_0994.JPG

The "Hop On/Off Bus", has a nearby station, right in front of The Opera, and is a great way to see Paris, and it is a reasonable price!

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Excellent advice as always by jerrycoin.

Be prepared to walk, a lot!

Get to know the metro before you arrive for those more distant, or steep climb, must-sees, such as Sacre Coeur.

DO not think it will be even a little bit warm, it won't be. It will be cold, and if you're staying more than a few nights it will also rain. Brief heavy rainfall is rare in Paris, like London, once it sets in, it can rain steadily for hours in December.

brightlybob,

So well put!  Agree, totally, and would not go anywhere without an umbrella.  Likewise, Momartre can be difficult, especially taking the Metro.  That is one trip I would take by Taxi or touring vehicle.  This also is a place to avoid on week-ends.  You will be exposed to a lot of the "Elements" on a metro trip, and long uphill climb from the Metro station to Sacre Coeur.  Here is what it looks like in December:

KIF_0988.JPG

Not too crowded today, but it was cold!

KIF_0989.JPG

People were dressed warm, but it was dry today!

KIF_0990.JPG

Wonderful view from in front of Sacre Coeur!

Hope this helps with the wonderful trip, travisbnewton

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

What an amazing place to spend new years, travisbnewton! Paris is one of my favorite cities, and I completely agree with all of jerrycoin's recommendations! The last time I was in Paris, I went out of the city to visit Versailles for a day, and completely fell in love with it! I'm not sure what it's like during the winter season, but I would highly recommend doing that as well!

lindseyh,

Thank-you for the kind words!

Speaking of Versailles, it would be a great place to go in Winter as long as the weather is cooperative, and make sure it is open before you go.  There may be different times in Winter.  As far as getting there, the most fun for me, with the lowest price, best scenery is to take The Metro to The RER, the line ends at Versailles, and one can't go wrong.  Here are a few of the sights involving the trip:

Taking the Metro from The CE to the RER is very pretty!

IMG_0541.JPG

As your Metro Car crosses the Seine, a wonderful view, and you will be arriving to catch The RER shortly!

IMG_0540.JPG

Expect a fun loving group on The RER trip, but all will have a memorable trip!  It's easy!

IMG_0539.JPG

When the RER stops at Versailles, this is not only where you depart from, but where you will also return to Paris from!

From here, just walk to the front gate, and enjoy!  (I do think you can buy your tickets in advance, or part of a package deal)

Good luck!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi travis,

Be sure not to miss La Sainte-Chapelle, on the same isle as Notre-Dame but at the other end, in the Palais de Justice complex.  It was built in the Gothic style in only a few years by Louis IX (Saint Louis) after he supposedly brought back a part of the Crown of Thorns from the Holy Land in the 13th C.  The whole (extremely tall and thin) church was built as a giant reliquary.  The downstairs portion is beautiful in its own right, but the upper part takes your breath away.  It is almost all stained glass, and the stone between the panels is barely noticeable.  I'd also suggest a trip using the metro (not RER) to Saint-Denis to see the first Gothic church ever, built in the early 12th C. with amazing stained glass.100_3205 copy.JPG

100_3206 copy.JPG

100_3208 copy.JPG

100_3211 copy.JPG

ProfChiara,

I took you advice and this is truly a remarkable place!

Having walked by the place many times, until you pointed it our on a post, I had never been there!

Thank-you for a wonderful recommendation, and I will be going back!

Here is a couple more photo's that will help travisbnewton, and others locate this "Gem"!

IMG_3982.jpg

The building as you approach it after a short walk from Notre Dame Cathedral.

IMG_3983.jpg

You don't want to miss the wonderful fountain and note the need for umbrellas in December!

Good luck!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

just remember on the metro like in most places the last stop is what will be listed on the train as it approaches. Once you know which direction then it is easy . Would visit the Orangeries' the museum with Monet's water lillies

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the thorns were on displace recently celebrating Louis birthday( I believe 800 yrs) . Not on display very often