24 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2016 7:53 AM by psudad RSS

How often do you have to request for bonus points to be credited after your stay?

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Like many others here, I too am a Lifetime Platinum member.

I stay well over 100 nights per year at Marriott properties.

For each stay, we all are entitled to the Platinum arrival bonus and I am told the largest percentage of people request the bonus points versus an amenity.

There are also many other stays that qualify for bonus points for various reasons and rates.

My question is how often do you have to request for these bonus points to be added to your account after your stay?

For me, it's at least one out of 4 stays that I have to check my account for accuracy and then request for the bonus points to be credited.

Marriott in effect has made their customers and members their own customer service department!

What is your experience?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Opelika, Alabama, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
  • Re: How often do you have to request for bonus points to be credited after your stay?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

not as much as that but it does happen. I find especially when I am not taking breakfast on a weekend and request the additional 750 points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How often do you have to request for bonus points to be credited after your stay?
    barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

As of the last two years we have to request that earned points be added to account.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I don't doubt that some have experienced this problem, but in my multiple years of being Rewards participant, fortunately, I've never had this problem.

As of today, I have had to request bonus points for my last 3 stays.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Only 3 times over the course of about 3 years, so not so bad....

ltn1delsol Platinum 59 Reviews

Often. We frequently have to ask for the breakfast points (many times they still don't post so have to call again) and a couple times a year for the platinum gift points. Over the years however we have collected several hundred dollar payouts for them not offering our platinum gift on arrival ...but that hasn't happened in a while.

linuxrules Platinum

What do you mean by getting a payout?  I'm a PP member and many hotels have not given me the 200 points over the snack item that I said I wanted when I was signing in at the front desk.

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

From the Elite Member T&C:

1. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott Hotel brands. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies (see below):

Brand Guest Compensation*
          JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott
          Hotels & Resorts, Gaylord Hotels
          $100 USD
          Courtyard (U.S. & Canada),
          SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn
          $50 USD
          AC Hotels, Courtyard, Moxy Hotels (outside U.S. &
          Canada)
          $50 USD
          Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownePlace
          Suites
          $25 USD
          Marriott Vacation Club$100 USD
          EDITIONn/a

*Hotels outside the U.S. and Canada will pay the equivalent in their local currency.

Platinum

I've collected $100 three times and $50 once due to non-offer of Platinum arrival gift. 3 of 4 times the hotel had almost no idea what I was talking about and made it fairly uncomfortable before they paid up. The class act was the Marriott SF airport who immediately sent up an envelope with a crisp $100 bill in it. In all fairness, once they understood their own policy the others also delivered cash in an envelope and one even thanked me for helping staff get better trained

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

I Have yet to ask for my points. I have well over 2000 nights. I hope they keep up the great work for me.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

Never used to have to ask.  Unfortunately much more common the past few years.

I don't know why it's gotten worse--- but it has.  Would have thought technology would make it easier.  The frustration is to be told you will get these and then don't.  Erodes the Marriott bond and increases the frustration on the customer end- especially when it happens on a semi regular basis which appears to be the case for some of us.

Like Jerryl, often it's for points in lieu of breakfast.  Or for additional points for having to put up with really loud neighbors.  (never did get those points).    Or for promotional points in a special room rate that they never got around to crediting my account.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I've written about this many times. When a hotel offers 1000 or more points for a special rate, I have to chase the points almost every time. It's rare when they show up without me tracking them down...It's a real problem and puts the chain in a poor light, IMO

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

How did I miss this thread on its first outing in September and October?

Now let's see...

1. my last booking with bonus points was in November at Marriott Kensington, elite offer 5,000 extra points. I had to chase up the entire stay as a missing stay with Marriott (when I reminded them it was an elite offer stay). The points finally posted for the stay but not the extra 5000. I chased Marriott twice, to no avail and finally rang Marriott Kensington who sorted it out.

2. The time before that I stayed at Philadelphia Marriott over the weekend, no breakfast is offered, instead they are meant to award 1,000 points per day, 2,000 points, which again I needed to chase with Marriott as they too didn't post.

3. Before then, in October I booked an elite offer at Leicester Marriott with 9000 extra points, those too didnt post and I had to chase with Marriott.

4. The time before that was September when I stayed at the Champs Elysees Marriott and didn't take breakfast for the 2 nights, and had to chase the 1500 points there as well.

5. And the only other time I had a bonus point booking (or skipped breakfast) was in March at the Edinburgh Autograph when I booked a 10,000 point elite rate, which, surprise, surprise, also failed to post and I had to chase,

So in 2014 I should have received 5 hotel-awarded bonus points totalling 27,500. All 5, that's 100% were  "accidentally overlooked"... Hmmm, that's a lot of "accidentally" not to mention more than a bit "overlooking"

I don't think a month goes by without me having to chase points that are to be automatically credited.  Each time, "sorry the weren't systematically added".  As I have mentioned numerous times, I have had to become Marriott Customer Service since they don't seem to have any!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That seems like more than a coincidence, for sure.  They evidently don't like rewarding those promised points.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree with you, I think the vast majority of hotels "try it on" and "forget" the bonus points. After all, whats the worst that can happen, the scrounging, whinging loyal customer rings Marriott and they're forced to pay them anyway, but no penalty, and how many customers just don't chase? Most I bet.

The "Hah, in YOUR face loyal customer" approach the hotels appear to be taking to these bonus points does leave a distinctly sour taste,and Marriott seems to do nothing to discourage it. Pretty shoddy...

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I can't say that I have to check my husband's account that often, but I did have to this week.  We stayed at the Opelika Grand National Marriott, and when the points were posted, I noticed the bonus points weren't there nor the points for the breakfast that we were told would be included.  I'm not so sure about those, though.  I called the 866 # and Vickie helped me and put the bonus points in, but there was nothing extra for not having gotten them in the first place.  We stayed at the Grandhall Marriott because the price was so great, though.  It was almost empty, and the price was $101 on a Sunday night with an upgrade to a king suite.   

Location Brand Hotel
    Opelika, Alabama, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I only had to ask 2, maybe 3 times - total - over the four years I was a Platinum.

AZDesertRat Platinum

I have only had one bonus not credited in the last 6-8 years.  Last August, I booked 2 stays at the Gaylord Palms in Kissimmee, a week apart, for a 2000 point bonus each stay.  The 2000 points for the first stay were credited immediately, but the bonus for the second stay a week later didn't show up.  After about 3 weeks, I called and the 2000 points were immediately credited, plus 1000 more for my trouble.  I am an active Mega Bonus participant and have not had any other posting problems.

ramoneur Platinum

about 1 in 8

it's a hassle and it damages a good impression I got of a hotel afterwards

here in China usually points/stays are posted within a few days;

sometimes after 1 day

sometimes after 1 week

Platinum

My usual pattern is to presettle every Sunday. The points usually post within a few days EXCEPT - at the very end of the stay. What happens is that the Marriott Rewards system sees the entire stay duration and seems to ignore any points due since the last pre-settle. Without fail, I have to contact the hotel and have them request a credit for the final nights, which then post within a few days - sometimes faster. Been staying at a certain RI for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off nearly continuously for over a year. This is a glitch that MR could easily fix, but I just live with it.  carat  or other community managers....Do you care to make a suggestion to Marriott and see if you could get this addressed? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate this. Thanks in advance!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Only a few times over 28 years.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...