32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2014 1:29 AM by dejamo RSS

SHOULD A LIFETIME PLATINUM MEMBER HAVE TO ASK FOR AN UPGRADE

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

AS I LIFETIME PLATINUM ELITE MEMBER MY LOYALTY TO THE MARRIOTT BRANDS SHOULD NOT BE QUESTIONED. BUT I FIND MYSELF ON MANY OCCASIONS IN BOTTOM OF THE LINE ROOMS AS WELL AS STAFF FORGETTING TO PROGRAM MY KEY FOR THE LOUNGE!

In this era of technology why can't corporate managed hotels be made aware that a reservation is held by a customer that is IMPORTANT TO THE COMPANY and without asking be given the best room available at the time of check in.

I ASK, IS THAT DEMANDING TOO MUCH?   SHOULD A HOTEL BE EMBARRASSED TO GIVE A ROOM TO A LIFETIME PLATINUM THAT IS 200 SQUARE FEET WHEN THERE ARE ROOMS AVAILABLE (STANDARD) THAT ARE 300 SQFT?  THIS IS NOT A NIGHTMARE SCENARIO IT HAPPENS TO ME MANY TIMES DURING THE YEAR.

I CAN TOLERATE A CAT 6 HOTEL JUMPING TO A CAT 7, I CAN TOLERATE COST OF AIRLINE MILES GOING UP ETC ETC.  BUT THE INSULT IS THE WAY I AM TREATED AT CHECK IN AS TO ROOMS ASSIGNED HAS BECOME A JOKE.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • Re: SHOULD A LIFETIME PLATINUM MEMBER HAVE TO ASK FOR AN UPGRADE
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi misterchk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations, and wanted to let you know that we are listening, and happy to help out! Just let me know, and I can get you in touch with a member of our team to discuss the issues you describe here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

lindseyh

Thank you for your kind offer to "connect" me with a member of your team.

I have a few questions:  Wouldn't this team member already be aware of the concerns that are discussed here everyday?  Is it conceivable that those Marriott staff members will initiate any actions to the Elite Guest's satisfaction.

We don't stay at Marriott branded properties because Marriott is the very best.  We stay for the benefits!  Benefits that are due us and in a growing number of cases are not receiving.

What we need is a "voice" that will be heard at the highest levels of Marriott management.  A level where we will find that individual that is going to face the reality that the company might start losing revenue unless they make an effort to service their most important customers.

Again, thank you for your offer.  I courteous decline until assurances would be made that the member would be able to institute CHANGE.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

You should not have to ask for upgrades when they are available. As one who shares your status and loyalty to the Marriott brands I should not have to wonder if a hotel understands what cleaning public areas(daily) means, but I find that I do. Marriott could use my status and give me a comfortable box to sleep in, that is as long as that box is as clean as can be.

As I have stated; perhaps the thinking far too often is; (we already have the business of the LPEs). The issue is with the mindset of these poorly trained managers and desk staffers. I think that perhaps we are expecting too much of those who to not have the ability to ever "get it". The best to you.

Platinum 28 Reviews

barrpat

Thanks for the response - you might review  my response to the staff offer above.

I must disagree with your statement  "poorly trained managers and desk staffers"...I find them quite adept at the training they received in  delivering "excuses".  I am now receiving excuses at front desks across our fair land that are so uniform in wording they must be out of a manual!

Would appreciate your opinion on another discussion I started yesterday entitled A LOGICAL SOLUTION TO UPGRADES.

Thanks in advance,

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Love it when misterchk gets poked and riled up, it's good for the forum as you always bring up excellent issues.

I share the same LPE as both misterchk and barrpat and completely agree that as LPE we have proven out loyalty to Marriott for years.   In fact if they (Marriott) would stop diluting many benefits of staying with Marriott as a LPE we might continue to remain loyal for years to come rather than wander aimlessly to other brands that often times will match the status. 

Truth be known I have pretty much given up on a room upgrade to a larger room than I booked simply due to the fact most hotels are considering an upgrade to be a room with a view of the parking garage rather than the dumpster.  Or, two rooms down from the elevator rather than next to the elevator.  If there is a particular room I desire I book it when making the reservation, but even now we are starting to find here on Insiders that doesn't always work.

The training you mention should be modified from "Standard Reply and Excuses" to "Treatment of Elites and Upgrades".

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

what kind of rooms do you book? i always book the cheapest which is no view, low floor small room. I have always gotten upgraded to a larger high floor city view rooms or corner rooms. I would not expect to be upgraded to a suite or even a jr suite when my original booking was for the cheapest smallest room they had.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

The simple answer is No. Gold, Platinum & Platinum Premier members should not have to request an upgrade - but the reality is that often we do.  Given it's a benefit of Marriott's elite T&Cs, it does leave a sour taste in an elite's mouth when the property doesn't automatically do the upgrade & an elite has to beg, er, ask for something that's promised (based on availability) in T&Cs.  It's especially galling when an upgrade request is denied when a property has a low occupancy rate.

Room Upgrade

For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom, we’ll do our best to upgrade your room. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.

erc Platinum

The way things have been going, Marriott will take skiadcock's correct response and say, "Nothing to see here, move along folks, that issue has been discussed and resolved; No, you shouldn't have to ask for an upgrade".

My arm hurts in three places - well stay out of those places.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Well I rather Marriott would say you shouldn't have to ask & we'll train our staff properly so you don't have to, but odds of that happening are about the same as my winning the lotto or Marriott IT actually doing a decent job with the website.

Cheers.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It's especially galling when an upgrade request is denied when a property has a low occupancy rate. skiadcock - you nailed it. Although my take on upgrades is only relevant when I wish to take my family on vacation and I cannot get a decent upgrade to a suite. I could care less when travelling on business as most of the time, the extra space really does not make my stay any better.

But when I have 200+ paid nights per year and earn PP status 9 years in a row, (not to mention also LTP), I should be REWARDED with a SUITE upgrade when I use points on vacation. Being away from family for all these nights, I feel my family deserves the best on vacation. But alas, no guarantees. In fact, I have proven low occupancy rates by going online incognito and attempting to book a suite after arrival and suites are there for the duration of my stay, yet NO UPGRADE.

This is exactly why over the last 18 months, I have 225+ HH nights and 60+ SPG nights and 0 MR nights. Both HH and SPG will guarantee suites on points at their resorts - - - hmm. . .  family vacation looks better among MR's competitors, does it not?

atl-gs Gold 1 Reviews

Well, to me your comment hits closest to home. I like to accomplish the same thing when I take my family on vacation after traveling frequently during the year. If that doesn't change, I may have to look into HH next year. I can't really get on the "shouldn't have to ask for an upgrade" bandwagon but, I can sure get on this one. What's the big deal, just walk in and say "do you have any upgrades available for a lifetime platinum?".  I guess you shouldn't have to but, if you do with a smile you will often get a good result.

Let me book those suites for my family once a year!

alreadyinuse Gold

Wholeheartedly agree.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

See I think that is the problem. Thats is expectations. This paragraph defines a lot of options as to what is an upgrade which can include location, size and maybe a suite . So if  for instance you chose to pay for the lowest rated room an upgrade maybe to concierge floor or other location vs. say a suite. I would also like a suite but that may not be the practice. Whether any of us like it or might chose to go to Hilton is our choice.

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

As a LIFETIME premier member, it seems like you already drank the coolaid.  Why do they have to work any harder than they have been to keep you coming back.  I can imagine a scenario not unlike the old Seinfeld bit amount Elaine Benes and her medical chart following her around.  Yours would read "yells (ALL CAPS) a lot, but give him the 200 square foot room anyway. 

smsgeek Platinum

they should work harder to get a LPE back because the LPE has nothing to lose by not qualifying for Platinum each year the "hard" way. I find that once I requalify (not LPE yet - 15 nts short) for Platinum mid-year I get a status match and start collecting points with other programs. There are some nice non-Marriott resorts that I like to stay at with points.

dejamo Platinum

Did someone say Koolaid ?

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I find it difficult to get a decent upgrade and I stay at the same hotel week after week.  Not only does my status seem not to mean much, but my loyalty to the same hotel seems to mean little.

I've already written about my experiences of no upgrade (actually an upgrade revoked before checking in) during a points stay in California with my husband on our anniversary.

I have to agree, loyalty seems to mean little.  Maybe it's time to check out SPG for a bit and see what happens there.  Maybe not be a bad idea to have status in more than one brand anyway.

Happy Travels!

Kim

rab124 Platinum

Some  time ago I wrote that I was asked to pay $50 a night to get an upgrade to a harbor view room at the Baltimore Harbor Marriott.  It is only right that I report that on our check in at the Baltimore Harbor Marriott we received a very nice harbor view room on the concierge Level.   It was quite nice to return to our room after a grueling day at Johns Hopkins Hospital and unwind with a restful view of the water. I appreciate this courtesy to a very long time Lifetime Platinum.  Perhaps someone IS listening.  We hope to receive the same consideration on our next trip to the hospital in two months.i recommend this hotel.

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

According to Marriott program rules, we are entitled to an upgrade, when available.

I can't ever remember getting one without asking.

So, no a Platinum should not have to ask since the rep knows your status when they check you in.

iamhawkeye Platinum 1 Reviews

If you took the time to read your "perks", it states upgrade on arrival if available.

Yes you do have to ask if they have already assigned you a room.  The upgrade does not occur on assignment.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott has an auto-upgrade-on-arrival-if-available policy. My experience is all hotels I've stayed at seem to follow this policy unless they're packed. But I don't stay in North American Marriotts, where I think Gold and Plat elites are a very common sight. Put simply, in places where it's more difficult to accumulate the nights, high ranking elites remain rare enough to upgrade as a matter of course.

Do hotels keep back upgraded rooms? Undoubtably, yes.

Say a walk-in guest approaches the desk at 11pm, "alas" all that is available is an exec room, the walk-in pays rack rate for the higher grade room rather than the cheaper basic room.

Or perhaps a guest complains their rooms air conditioning is noisy, or the heating faulty, or the loo, or the fridge motor too loud, or the many myriad of issues that can occur in a modern hotel room, nothing mollifies that guest or incites them to move rooms more and make up for the inconvenience than a "So sorry to hear that Mr ---- Allow me to send up a member of staff and move you to an upgraded room...."  Over many years I've had several occasions to complain about room issues, and when I do I frequently find I'm moved to a suite. So far this year I've had cause to complain about rooms twice, once because the carpet was soaking wet, and the other because the aircon was gleefully heating the room. Both times I was moved, with profound apologies, to a suite. Arguably, I, or more likely another elite should have had that suite as the upgrade promise, but then there'd be nowhere to move an upgraded guest to...

Keeping back back a few upgraded rooms makes good commercial sense, and corporates upgrade edict, well, due to the "grade inflation" on elites, it just doesn't, or at least not to the very last room, so whilst I suspect the upgrade policy is broadly followed, I would be astonished if most hotels didn't hold back an upgraded room or 2 against the possibilities Ive outline above, both of which I imagine are pretty regular occurrences...

iamhawkeye Platinum 1 Reviews

Personally, I think that the yearly platinum should receive the perks before the lifetime.  In fact, like the airlines, the lifetime status should be gold.  Yes they should be rewarded for past business, but the current "road warrior" should first be recognized

and yes, I have lifetime status, but still qualify every year

dejamo Platinum

16595936.jpgI submit that since there has been no official Marriott "member of the team"  interested in commenting for the past two weeks on this forum, that once again...........My legs are chafing.....