28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2014 7:48 PM by superchief1 RSS

Charleston, SC Trip Suggestions

richbine Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are going to Charleston, SC for 4 nights in early October. I would appreciate your recommendations as to which Marriott property to stay (considering location and price).  I am paying for the room, not using points. Also if you have any suggestions for restaurants for dinner that would be great as well. Thanks much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, South Carolina, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
  • Re: Charleston, SC Trip Suggestions
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Plenty of choices, that for sure. I stayed at the SpringHill Suites Downtown/Riverview. A bit cheaper (though not much) than staying right in town. The property shares space with the Residence Inn. One nice feature is that both place offer a free shuttle to the heart of downtown which is a huge help.

I had seafood both nights I was in town. Only recall one place, Hyman's Excellent fish and great hushpuppies (and I don't even like hushpuppies). Long lines to get in, but worth the wait.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

richbine Platinum

Thanks for the info.  The Spring Hill Suites is definitely one of the properties being considered.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

richbine - I just returned from week visit in Charleston, SC - actually "Wild Dunes" - on Isle of Palms, near Charleston. The Marriott Courtyard is the most central Marriott facility to downtown Charleston; however, if you don't mind a 15 minute ride, you might consider the Courtyard or Residence Inn on Isle of Palms, which are less expensive, and there are a host of eating places nearby, such as "Poe's Tavern" (named after the famous author, who was from Charleston, see photo below), Poe's Tavern - Sullivan's Island, Charleston, SC | Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville, FL, Sullivan's, The Boathouse, Morgan Creek Grill, Island Cafe, and for a casual atmosphere, but good local cuisine, try The Mustard Seed,The Mustard Seed | Mt. Pleasant | Fusion + Eclectic | Restaurants  (photo below) to name a few. Charleston Group - Sept. '14 191.jpgCharleston Group - Sept. '14 218.jpg

If you don't necessarily need to stay in a Marriott - hope I'm not ostracized for suggesting this -  the Charleston Place Hotel, is a fabulous landmark facility, and in center of town, just across street from the local market, with parking garage in the rear, boutiques and nice restaurant inside. Charleston Group - Sept. '14 154.jpgCharleston Group - Sept. '14 153.jpg

Charleston has been recently rated the No. 1 destination place in the U.S., and with both my wife and I hailing from S.C., it is worthy of the distinction. Aside from its Revolutionary War and Civil War history, there are a number of eating places you can enjoy - one of our favorites is Hall's Chop House on King Street, especially for Sunday lunch, where they feature piano bar and a lady playing Gospel music (photo below), and if you'd like, you might want to sing along:  http://hallschophouse.com           Charleston Group - Sept. '14 048.jpg

We also like Fleet Landing on East Bay for lunch - Charleston Group - Sept. '14 144.jpgThere's a small parking lot in front, but also a parking garage across the street.

Magnolia's Restaurant (photo below) is a bit pricy, but wonderful food and atmosphere for evening meal - Magnolias Restaurant - Charleston SC, Fine Dining Downtown

Charleston-2013 040.jpg

If you have time take a leisurely carriage ride tour of the historic city, especially on the Battery and Meeting Street.

Charleston-2013 036.jpg

richbine Platinum

Thanks so much for the extensive information and critiques.  I really appreciate the information, especially from a native south Carolinian!  Your hotel info is quite helpful but I could not bring myself to go outside the Marriott realm (LOL).  the restaurant suggestions are fabulous and I have started reviewing their menus and making reservations.  Thanks again for your insight and the pictures were great also!

richbine - Then, if you prefer Marriott hotels, the Courtyard would be the most central one for downtown Charleston activities. Regarding restaurants, I'd suggest making reservations for Halls Chop House for Sunday lunch, or dinner, along with Magnolias for dinner. These two are quite popular!

If you're not familiar with Charleston, some other worthwhile visits would be the boat tour to Fort Sumter, where the first shots of Civil War were fired and a strategic Confederate outposts in the Charleston harbor; the Citadel; a walking tour of homes along the Battery and Meeting Street (No. 2 Meeting Street, below); and the respective, downtown churches.Charleston-2013 037.jpg

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

When there's a choice, i like Renaissance. That said, Tripadvisor, which i tend to put a lot of stock in, doesn't show it in the top 50% of properties.  CY Historic District has it beat.  Either of the properties is in a good location.  It's a coin toss.  Which is less cost for the dates? 

richbine Platinum

Both are a little pricey.  Still looking into the courtyard on the river and the Springhill Suites.  Thanks!

johnlb1234 Platinum

Try the Residence Inn Downtown / Riverview.  It shares a convenient downtown shuttle with Spring Hill Suites next door.  Rooms are spacious and recently renovated.  As for restaurants, for $$$$ try Peninsula Grill.  Eli's Table and Coast (seafood) are a little less formal and less expensive.

Location Brand Hotel
    Charleston, South Carolina, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
      richbine Platinum

Leaning towards the Springhill Suites.  Any issues with that location/property?  Thanks also for the restaurant recommendations.

johnlb1234 Platinum

I have stayed at the Springhill Suites and, of the two, Residence Inn has better breakfast and also has the evening managers reception.  Both are in a good location however they are across the river from downtown.  You will need to take the shuttle or drive to downtown.  I stay for up to 3 months each year in the Charleston area and like both of these hotels.  You will get higher reward points at Springhill Suites so that, along with pricing, may be better for you.  Both properties are very good. 

richbine Platinum

We like to go out to breakfast so that is not a criteria for us.  In light of the price and the points I think I will stay at the
          Springhill Suites.  Thanks much for your advice and insight.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think you'll like the SHS. I stayed there and had a top floor room with balcony overlooking the city. Very nice. Enjoy your trip and report back to us how everything goes.

richbine Platinum

Will do and thanks again!

scopinfl Platinum

Hyman's is great for seafood, but you have to go to the Tattooed Moose restaurant near downtown.  The Lucky #1 Sub sandwich and the duck fat fries are amazing.  Was there a week and hit the place 4 times.  Cannot get enough..........

richbine Platinum

I've heard that Hyman"s is touristy and not to bother.  We will check out the Tattooed Moose for lunch.  Thanks!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Renaissance is the place to stay and Shem Creek Bar and Grill is the place for Shrimp and Grits.

I've eaten at Shem Creek, but if you're going to be in Mt. Pleasant and Sullivan's Island, you might also try the Wreck ("can't judge a book by its cover"), as shown below, across waterway from Shem Creek, and also...

Charleston, Shrimp Boats - DSCF0338.jpg

Charleston-Fish Place - DSCF0341.jpg

Sullivans, on Sullivans' Island...Sullivans.jpg

richbine Platinum

We have looked into Sullivan's but we'll probably pass.  Only need restaurants for 3 nights so we booked Magnolia's, The Boathouse and Morgan Creek Grill.  Looking forward to good dining!  The 4th night we were invited to our friends place for a nice home cooked dinner.  Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I've eaten at two out of the 3 you mentioned and neither was a good as shem creek.

For price, look at the FFI by the airport.  Easy access to downtown and East of the Cooper River.

richbine Platinum

If I was using point i would definitely stay at the Renaissance.  Hoever, I am footing the bill for this trip and want to keep the hotel cost reasonable.we will check out Shem Creek.  Thanks.

jlabove Gold 3 Reviews

Just visited Charleston, and it's foodie's dream. Since I noticed a few great choices missing, I wanted to put them forward:

Husk

Butcher & Bee

Leon's Oyster Shack

The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island

Wild Olive

McCrady's

Location Brand Hotel
      richbine Platinum

Thanks for the suggestions!

keith Platinum

Best Marriott property is Renaissance on Wentworth St.  It's located in downtown Charleston and you can leave the car at the hotel and walk everywhere.  Staff is awesome.  There is no members lounge but you get vouchers for breakfast in the restaurant.  I've been to Charleston for business and pleasure dozens of time and this property is the best by far.

nursshark Gold 4 Reviews

We stayed at the Residence Inn.  This was a great location.  For the week we were there....never took car out of the garage.  We walked everywhere.  One night we hired one of the bike buggies to bring us to a restaurant, then walked back.  Ohhh, what a fun trip!!!