15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2014 6:58 PM by californian RSS

Downgraded room on a points stay :(

highbay Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Platinum member and reserved a king suite at the Kansas City Residence Inn. I placed this reservation over 3 months ago. When checking in at 4:30 yesterday, the clerk said there was a problem with the hotel being overbooked...people staying beyond their original reservations etc, and that they had to put us in a queen room. REALLY?! I have had to move to a different room in the past if I've extended my stay and that room type was needed. To make matters worse, it was a handicapped room with a shower that drained in front of the toilet. Have any of you ever been downgraded like this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Downgraded room on a points stay :(
    taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Unacceptable. You are guaranteed your room type. Time to speak to a manager and/or Marriott directly. Using points does not matter. In fact, the hotel is reimbursed / credited probably more with points then if you had paid (based on average room cost) so most hotels are happy when you use your points and upgrades are usually even more certain when using points vs paid stay. I would not stay in that room, especially if it is a handicap room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I think the bed guarantee applies even on awards stays, so the Residence Inn owes you $50 if your Marriott # was in your reservation & your confirmation shows king suite.

Marriott® Elite Member Benefits and Guarantees

Collect the $50 before you check out.

Cheers.

highbay Platinum

I Have a hard copy of this reservation stating King. They changed it in the computer as a queen handicap. How so I go about getting my points refunded?

If you're actually staying at the hotel, even if it's not in an optimal room, you're probably not going to get your points refunded.

You can legitimately get the $50 as part of the bed type guarantee since you have the documentation showing your bed type reserved/confirmed.

You can request some additional points because of the **** room & the way it's been handled.  They might do it; they might not.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers.

highbay Platinum

I Stayed last night...very unhappy and did not know what else to do. She insisted it was the only room they had. We were on the road all day and I did not want to try to get another hotel on such short notice. I think it was very crappy!  The bedroom wall was adjacent to an exit hallway, so we got to hear people talking as they exited the building. I will never let something like that happen to me again. The hotel also changed/altered my reservation without any notice to me.

You can still contact the GM of the property & let him/her know of your deep dissatisfaction with the unannounced room change & the handling of the situation.  You can ask for some points to be credited to your account, although I don't think the GM will refund the points required for the night stay since you did actually stay there, but might be willing to get you a few thousand to make up for it.

If you get no joy from the GM, then contact Marriott Rewards Customer Service & explain the situation to them & see if they'll offer you some courtesy/good will points. 

For what it's worth, I'm quite surprised that they put you into a **** room given you were Platinum and you didn't arrive that late.  You'd think they would have given the room to someone with no status.  And too bad they didn't 'walk' you as then they would have owed you lots, but they do try to avoid walking Plats due to that reason.

It's always good to keep an eye on your reservations to catch any unexpected changes such as you encountered, so you can deal with them in advance.  That's not always possible.

Also, if you want to know what your benefits are as a Plat & guarantees, etc, then I'd recommend printing out a copy of the Platinum bennies to keep with you when traveling.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi

Cheers.

highbay Platinum

Great news!  I left a voice mail for the Guest Services Manager, Michael M....expressing my displeasure with our stay. He just sent me an email expressing his sincere apology and stating he will return my points. So yay for making a bad into a good!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news highbay, but it still should not be happening, and if it does they should have given you the points back and also a bunch of points for the inconvenience and the bad rooms.

Glad it worked out (well, after the fact - you probably would have preferred to get your original room).  At least the property did the right thing for you though.  Check your account in a week or so to make sure the points actually got refunded.

Cheers.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We are starting to read of this more and more on Insiders, where a customer had found their room type was not met or even before they get to the hotel the property tells them it is now oversold and they are being moved to another location.  This indeed unacceptable by every stretch of the imagination.

I think it's time we bring in the Insider Team to look into this type of thing, what ya say NathalieF, lindseyh, The specified item was not found. or KatieC?

Well since an elite gets their room paid for at a dif property & 90,000 points deposited into their account, some elites wouldn't mind getting 'walked' (although that's not what happened in this situation).

Cheers.

highbay Platinum

My points have been credited back to my account, plus I was given an additional 5,000 points. I will also make sure that my future reservations don't get altered and I will never let another clerk downgrade me!  Thanks to all that responded to my post!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

That's great! One thing about Marriott and probably the reason I remain loyal is because when there is an issue like yours, they always seem to go out of their way to make things right. In your case, I think they went beyond. Just good customer service although I realize it should have never happened in the first place.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Hilton has a policy that is on a printed sign visible at check-in.  Something like "If you find anything wrong, tell us so we can make it right and if we can't we will refund your money."

Unlike Marriott you know when you are booked in an ADA room.  These are chosen separately and often less expensive.  I had booked a king and upon arrival was offered a Queen or an king ADA room.  I told them that neither was acceptable.  I had flown in and it was late.  They told me that I was welcome to take either room and my payment would be refunded.  I took the king ADA room and considering it was free, I was OK.

I have never had this at a Marriott.  Too often, I am given and ADA room and told that there are no others and no refund of payment.  To Marriott these are just rooms and they save them if requested and if not, they are considered a regular room.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I would have been as upset as you or maybe more.  What is happening at Marriott?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...