53 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2014 2:09 PM by iahflyr RSS

Another exit from Marriott - Boscolo Rome Palace

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

painedplatinum  I got notice and can still stay on points.

With reference to your current room reservation at the Boscolo Rome Palace Hotel, Autograph Collection, we need to inform you that this hotel will no longer be operated under the Marriott Hotels & Resorts name and therefore will no longer be part of Marriott International as of October 9th, 2014.The new name for this hotel will be Grand Hotel Palace.

In order to avoid any issues for our valued Marriott Rewards members we are glad to inform you, that your Redemption Reservation will be honored.

We also would like to inform you that you will not be able to earn any Marriott Rewards points during your upcoming stay but we are happy to confirm that the new hotel operator will grant you all Marriott Rewards Benefits as per your current status during your stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • Re: Another exit from Marriott - Boscolo Rome Palace

jerrycoin IAHFLYR pluto77 and others.

Grand Flora or Boscolo?  I have been debating on which hotel to stay at while in Rome.

Reviews say Grand Flora is better.  I am a walker and from what I can tell the Boscolo is closer to points os interest.

Boscolo requires 20K more points for 5 nights but will confirm a king bed and Grand Flora only a Queen.

Since the hotel would no longer be a Marriott, I doubt that I would get upgraded.

Any comments welcome!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Grand Flora gets  good reviews on Flyertalk & reports of  upgrades.  I'd probably go w/ Grand Flora myself.

I just got back from a week at the Grand Flora. Although I normally never stay in chain hotels when in Europe, this was a fantastic experience. Top floor suite upgrade, amazing personalized service, fantastic location. Breakfast was free as platinum. A couple of reasonable lunch places nearby. Cheap cappuccino a block away.It's a 10 minute walk to the metro, or a bus picks you up right outside. With Google Maps, using public transportation selected, I could get anywhere in Rome in two bus rides.  I whole-heartedly recommend this hotel.

Just arrived at the Grand Flora, wonderful welcome, great upgrade (a special occasion), use of ad other room until mine was ready.

The Boscola Palace, Aleph and Grand Flora are within a few blocks of each other.

I stayed at the Grand Flora early July. Nice hotel, smallish room (Plat. Elite), my colleague did get an upgrade to a Junior Suite (Gold), who knows. he loved his room. Nice breakfast, no lounge, but walking distance to plenty of places to eat.

The Flora isn't perfect, but sufficiently close enough to be considered for those "once in a lifetime" trips. The bedrooms are very nice and modern but the bathrooms can be a mix of modern and traditional European. The rooftop probably has the best breakfast view I've ever experienced.

We stayed there a couple years ago and loved it! Great service and wonderful views on the rooftop.

Grand Flora is in a great location

Cheers.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wish I could provide some help, never been to either place sorry.  I bet profchiara has been to both.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I have been to both.  My unequivocal recommendation would be the Grand Flora.  It 's not very much farther than the Boscolo from Piazza Barberini at all.  You will love breakfasting on the rooftop terrace.  We were given a king bed our last stay.  I have been to the GF twice.  Both times were lovely and memorable.

Just btw, I thought the Boscolo was less points (not more) than the Grand Flora.

Thanks Pluto.  The Grand Flora is 160jK for 5 nts and the Palace is (or was) 180K.

I find the GF to be much nicer.  Curious.

Supposedly it is demand that sets the points.  However judging by the reviews, I would be surprised if the Palace has more demand that the Grand Flora.  Perhaps the Autograph Collection are able to negotiate the points rates!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Actually, I won't go to either.  I had some of the days of my life at the Flora many years ago (about 6-7), but it is not convenient to central Rome, the beds are uncomfortable even in presidential suites, and while some things (like the grand breakfast on the roof) are great, most of the times I was there if I chose to eat a meal I had to do so in the bar.  I was planning to stay at the Boscolo (that's the one in central Rome, right, not the one (Edition?)just down from the Flora near the American Embassy right?) because the only time I stay at Marriotts anymore are at airports night before early flights home.

I got a lot from the Marriott Rewards program when I needed to, when I was younger, but now I LOVE staying where I can get fabulous views, great breakfasts, central locations, free wifi, etc.

So better to ask someone who hasn't 'checked out.' Buon viaggio!

Just for clarification (for Cali), both Boscolo Romas are Autograph Collection hotels.  The Boscolo Palace Roma is the one that is on the same street as the Grand Flora (and only 2 tiny blocks away and yes, near the embassy) whereas the Boscolo Exedra Roma is down at Piazza della Repubblica.  I was referencing the Grand Flora and the Boscolo Palace Roma as to which ones I've been to (I haven't been to the Boscolo Exedra Roma.)  To me, they are all equidistant to Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi, Pantheon and Vaticani, GF and Boscolo Palace closer to Piazza di Spagna and del Popolo, and Boscolo Exedra closest to Colosseo and Forum, however it's all walkable and easy anyway by metro, well, that is just my opinion.

Hi Californian,

More specifically to your question, if the Boscolo, where I had planned to stay before changing to Naples then Sorrento, is where I think it is -- not far from the train station -- I would stay at the Boscolo.  The Grand Flora gives you a lovely experience, but being at the very top of the Via Veneto is far from central Rome.  I'm less of a walker than in the days I stayed there, but I have come to delight in my stays at hotels that are near everything.  Alas, the Via Veneto is kind of 'used to be.'  I do not say that unkindly, but last time I was there some of my favorite regulars (doormen, concierges,etc) were gone, and it seemed to be the sign of the times.

But listen to people who stay at Marriotts, since I'm pretty much gone (though for anyone interested I will be at the LHR Airport Marriott November 9).

Thanks.  I do value your opinion due to all your experiences however, I plan to use Marriott points.  You are confirming what I found as to Boscolo being closer to tourist sites.  My new concerns are that since it will no longer be a Marriott they would have no incentive to upgrade me and give me the required continental breakfast as to full.  I wonder if Grand Flora still gives a full breakfast?

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Yes Grand Flora still gives a full breakfast.  From what I've read, the Boscola Palace & Grand Flora are only a few blocks apart.  If that's the case I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference re: getting to tourist sites, especially if you are a walker as you mentioned.  pluto77 does a nice job explaining where they all are & which is closest to which site.

Cheers.

Good to know about breakfast.  From what I have read Grand Flora it is.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Why would anyone want to stay anywhere else in Rome, with a staff like this to greet you and take care of you?

IMG_3505.JPG

Wonderful hotel, wonderful staff!

Location Brand Hotel
            Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

Thanks Jerry.  I was pretty much there but this clinches where I stay.  Grand Flora.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

A couple of things:

You can make arrangements with the Concierge to pick you up at the airport and bring you directly to the hotel.  Likewise, get you back, as well!

The staff is really super, and if you are lucky enough to get a room like 620, (Thanks to KH B732 @ HNL!).  There is so much to do nearby, and please let us know if you need details!

Say hello to all there!  One suggestion, if you would like one fabulous meal, walk a block from the hotel and visit this place.  It is not expensive, but memorable:

IMG_3484.JPG

Michelle's is one of the most relaxing and wonderful places to dine!  They play English songs from the Piano Bar, and the view is wonderful!

IMG_3486.JPG

This is the entrance!  A wonderful experience!

Now for saving you some money, and enjoying what you eat and drink, this is right out the side door!

IMG_3611.JPG

A bottle of good Chianti here will be less than most "Glasses" you will get while dining!

Good luck, have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have them on my list.

I will be flying to Naples and staying in Sorrento.  There is a shuttle or I can use the car that the hotel recommends but much more expensive than the shuttle.

My main concern:  Do you have any suggestions for transportation from Sorrento to the Rome Park Marriott hotel where I will spend 1 night?  I prefer to not take the train.  I am considering driving.  Any comments?

The next morning, I will have a car take me the Grand Flora which I think I can arrange after I arrive.

Hi Californian,

Especially since my flight arrived in the evening at Naples, I wanted to get to Sorrento the easiest way possible.  I chose Guemar Travel which cost 85 euros.  They are absolutely wonderful, a small business that offers you other tours as well.  Paola will confirm everything with you if you choose to go that route. The cars are great and Giulio (co-owner with Paola) and the other drivers speak excellent English. Here's their website:

Amalfi Coast excursion, Sorrento limo service, Naples port shore excursions, transfer Sorrento, Sorrento tour excursion

Thanks Prof.  It helps to get a recommendation.

I requested a quote.

What I need to decide is how to get from Sorrento to Rome without taking the train.  Quotes of hiring a car and driver are around $700.  If I fly and pay for transfers from hotel in Sorrento to airport and shuttle from Rome airport would be about $300-400.  If I drive, under $100 for car and add gas and tolls, expect about $200 and I can stop at Pompeii on way saving money on taking a tour there,.the question is do I really want to drive in Italy.

I have driven from Sorrento to Fiumicino, stopping at Pompeii.  I found the drive to be easy as well as enjoyable - I prefer  driving in Italy - indeed every Europe country I've been in - it's the best way to see everything in between cities.  If you want to see Pompeii, and I think others would agree with me that you do, then combined with the consideration of cost, the decision is easy.  Drive.  (I found the roads to be easy and we only had a paper map.)

As a side note, I took a look at the hotel website (Rome Park Marriott.) The info regarding airport shuttle seems confusing.  In one place it says no shuttle.  In another place it offers additional shuttle times.  For transportation from the Rome Park Marriott to the GF, I would contact the RPM by email when it gets closer to your trip (as I've found things can change over the course of the calendar), requesting info.

I've probably missed part of this conversation because of medical problems but how long will you be in Sorrento?  If so, you are right on the Circumvesuviana Line and can VERY cheaply (less than 10 euros) get to Herculanem [Ercolano in Italian], which some including me think is better preserved than Pompeii; Pompeii; Vesuvius itself; and Naples. You can also buy 3 day tickets, also very cheaply, and it's not like a tour --you can stay in each place as long or as little as you want.

HI californian,

Price was an issue for me as well.  What time of day are you going from Sorrento to Rome? If daytime, the train would be the cheapest by far, though it sounds out of the question in your case.  But Guemar also quoted me a total of 200 euros door to door if I had flown to Rome rather than changing it to Naples.  So you may want to write Paola and see what she can offer you.  I'm certainly not being paid to do so, but I have nothing but good to say about Guemar, and they are cheaper (based on what I've read on tripadvisor than almost every other service). Plus they're just plain great people.

I checked and they want 340 Euros for a transfer from Sorrento to Rome and 420 with a 2 hour stop in Pompeii.  If I did a stop in Pompeii I would also need a guide that would add an additional 110 Euros.  Less than others but still more than I think I want to pay.  I will check with others.  Before this most wanted about $700 for the transfer.

Who knows, I might just decide to splurge and pay Guemar.  If I did, would 2 hours be enough for Pompeii?

If I remember correctly Paola at Guemar quoted me 200 euros from Rome's airport (before I changed my airline ticket).  110 euros for a guided tour of Pompeii?  That's outrageous unless they're charging you for the transportation!  If you're staying in Sorrento take the Circumvesuviana for a few euros and get an audio and guidebook.  Shame I won't be there.  I'd do it for 100 .

2 hours is possible for Pompeii, though I'd suggest more.

profchiara  The 110 Euros is only for the guide.  If you would be there I not only would save 10 Euros but probably get a far superior tour.  The HIlton where I will be staying offers a Pompeii and Vesuvius boat/land tour for 59 Euros including guides for each.  Pick up at hotel.  I will most likely do this unless I drive to Rome.

It seemed like since I would be driving past Pompeii on the way to Rome, why not stop.

I don't want to pay the price that is charged for a 3 hour ride which would be the most convenient and then may be expected to tip as well.  So now fly or rent a car and drive.  I am leaning for the later and if I do might stop at Pompeii on the way.  I read that traffic getting out of Sorrento is really bad but after that not bad.  I think I will post this question.

Thanks for your help.

The Hilton trip sounds like a good deal, because seeing Vesuvius from the bay is pretty spectacular. If I have your itinerary right, you're flying to Rome and staying in Sorrento, right?  I think the only other choice other than the train or hire would be renting a car because there'd be no point flying to Naples after Rome, and I don't know of another airport close to Sorrento.

profchiara  I will be flying from home into Naples airport, use a transfer service to get to the Hilton and spend 4 nights in Sorrento.  I also have status with Hilton and should get a free breakfast and with luck an upgrade.  This gives 3 days before I leave for Rome.  I think I have decided to rent a car and drive to Rome.  While in Sorrento I want to go to Capri and will probably walk to the ferry (15 min) and spend hours or the day there before ferrying back.  I am allowing a full day.  Hilton has a land tour of the Amalfi coast for 65 Euros plus entrances of the places that I choose to visit.  I plan to do this.  Now that I am driving to Rome, I can see Pompeii on the way and see Herculaneum as well so will probably not take the Hilton tour.  The question is will I also see Me Vesuvius.  I get the idea that people do this for the great views.  This takes a fair amount of time and people suggest having hiking boots and poles which adds addition stuff to my luggage so I may skip this.  Now if I do this, I have an extra day in Sorrento to adjust to the time change and walk around and get familiar with the city..

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Cali,

I'm glad you received notice but it sure seems like it was short notice. Good luck at the Grand Flora!!

Pained,

The reason I alerted you on this is because of what happened with your first Sydney reservation on points when the hotel exited from Marriott.  I know that your trip turned out good but didn't you have to pay more points to stay at the Circular Quay Marriott?  They should have been required to honor reservations.

I was told that my reservation would be canceled, points returned and rebooked and I would be given a paper certificate to use.  I would have still been able to stay if I choose too.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Cali,

Yes, you have it correct. I did pay more points. The old Marriott actually offered to "work" with me, but, I decided to play it safe.

I hear you.  I am doing the same. Once they are no longer a Marriott, the incentive is gone to treat elites well.   From what I hear, I am getting a better deal and for me, it is less  points.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I have stayed at both.  Yes only a few blocks apart [less than 5 minutes].  While both hotels are great, the Grand Flora experience was just a bit superior.  I was upgraded to top floor suite, but more importantly the service was far and above Boscolo.  The staff went out of their way to take care of my questions and concerns.  Don't forget to make reservation for Borghese Palace !!!!!!!just minutes away.

Thanks. It helps to hear from one who has stayed at both.   What would I be reserving at the Borghese Palace?  From what I find it is an art hotel.

Booking site Borghese Gallery - Information and Tickets

Wonderful art museum and gardens. Wiki has good info too.  The GF Is located practically next door to the Villa Borghese.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

Villa Borghese Gallery is a wonderful art museum as Pluto mentioned.  The hotel front desk can reserve you a time to tour.  You need a reservation to go or it is advised.  It is a fairly quick visit , and the gardens are great to walk/run in the morning.  You can email concierge in advance and they will reserve for you.  No cost to reserve, pay if you go and rent the headphones w/ explanation of what you are viewing. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Boscolo is an independent hotel group in Europe that seems to have the use of Marriotts marketing and website, via the Autograph brand. I stayed with them a couple of times before they joined Marriott 3 or 4 years ago and I remember when I found the Boscolo's coming up on my searches being very happy to see they'd joined forces with Marriott.

As I understand the Autograph brand, this is unlike any other of the Marriott brands, these are independent hotels who have to uphold certain standards of service and cleanliness, but don't have copy the Marriott hotel set-up or do things the Marriott way. This means they can be much more individualistic than the rest of the Marriott stable and I must admit, as I stay more with them, I'm appreciating them more, for instance I'm certainly more likely to stay at the Autographs in Budapest and Edinburgh than the Marriott's, and that's despite the fact that I think the Budapest Marriott CL is one of the best in Europe, and Edinburgh CL is also pretty high up the list, yet neither Autograph has a lounge, both Autograph's are just so much more individualistic.

In short therefore, my question is whether this is indeed a hotel exiting Marriott or whether the Rome Palace left the Boscolo, group, hence dropping out of the Autograph scheme...

Cali,

Regarding your concerns posted here: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/121143#121143, as to whether or not you will be able to "see" Mt. Vesuvius...

Consider this map (and the size of Vesuvius by comparison to it's surroundings).  You can see that it is a dominating feature of the local geography.

map vesuvius.gif

These images are what you would see when viewing the mountain from the bay...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mount+vesuvius+bay+of+naples&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TKUhVKe1LcrioATdqIF4&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=866#imgdii=_

In these photos below (taken from Naples and Pompeii), Vesuvius can also be seen very clearly.  If you're wanting to climb it, well that would be different of course.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photos/3635

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photos/3636

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photos/2314

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photos/2326

If I am correctly understanding what you're wanting in the way of a view, I think you will enjoy some nice views of Vesuvius from Pompeii.

Thanks Pluto.  This has helped.  I had been thinking about climbing it and taking in the views.  But time and needed equipment and your pictures have changed my mind.  I will enjoy the views and just might take a ferry to see it from the bay.

How much time did you spend in Pompeii?  Did you take in Herculaneum while you were there?  As of now, I plan to drive from Sorrento to Rome via Pompeii as you did.  I can't pick up the car till 9am and want to be in Rome before dark.  Any suggestions?

jkeaton Silver

We didn't have time to do Pompeii, but chose to do Herculaneum on the advice of our driver.  It was awesome.  Very small area and well preserved.  We stayed there about 2 hours.  This was after a drive do the Alalfi Coast, lunch and drive back to Naples.  Full day, but glad we did it that way

Nole62

As I recall, we drove from Sorrento to Pompeii, leaving around mid-morning.  We spent a good 2-3 hours walking Pompeii and no we didn't see it all - then left for Rome, not feeling that we had enough time to also take in Herculaneum (and feeling unsure about it all as it was all new ground for us), however (it was June so it stayed light until late) when we arrived in the Rome area (in the countryside somewhere between the city of Rome and Fiumicino - we were staying at the airport for an early flight next morning), we had a difficult time finding anyplace open for dinner (we probably arrived around 5:30 or 6pm and most ristorantes didn't begin serving until 7:30-8:00pm, but again this was in the countryside).  So if you are traveling in the summer (with the longer days) and you have the legs for it, you might consider trying for both Pompeii and Herculaneum.  It is a lot of walking, and some of it is difficult as some of the streets in Pompeii are made from very large stones (2'X2' with gaps  in between where the mortar or whatever has eroded away).  But as you are fit and with a lot of daylight and if you can get out of Sorrento by 10am, and are in no hurry to get checked-in to the Rome Park Marriott, I'd say "go for it!"  (Plus, you've been in Sorrento.  You will be rested.

Maybe someone who has done both (Pomp. and Herc.) all in one day will chime in.

Pluto,

I do have the option to do one while in Sorrento and the other during the drive.  I could take the Circumvesuviana to get there on my free day.  So much for having a free day.  It is good to know in advance rather then get there and can't see it all.

It would be very easy, Californian, to do Herculaneum from Sorrento -- it's about midway from Naples, closer to Sorrento than Pompeii so you could easily then spend more time in Pompeii on your drive to Rome.  It's a straight walk 10 min walk from the Ercolani Scavi stop.

californian,

I would certainly do the Amalfi Coast, just not drive it.  I drove the coast a few years ago and the drive is certainly hair raising and as the driver of the car I saw very very little of it while my wife enjoyed it very much. 

Thanks.  I do intend to take a tour of the Amalfi coast.  The Hilton that I will be staying at offers a nice one for under $100 plus entrance fees.

How did you find driving in Italy as opposed to here?

I don't at all mind driving in Italy however; the roads on the coast are very narrow with as you can imagine numerous hairpin curves with cars, buses, motorcycles and just about anything on wheels flying around them in the opposite direction smack dab in the middle of the road.

P1010234.JPG

The AutoStrada's are excellent and much like our interstates with much faster speeds.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...