3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2014 11:37 AM by foxglove RSS

December in Georgia

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a two week road trip to Savannah (GA) and Chrleston (SC) in December.  Any suggestions of things to see/do in those cities for a couple of active seniors.

Also looking for ideas on other places we might stop between Washington, D.C. and these two destinations.

Thanks

phctourist

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Savannah, Georgia, USA
  • Re: December in Georgia
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Your trip sounds awesome, phctourist!  I have always wanted to do a road trip along the East coast, and am also interested to hear what others have to share!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stefnbama Platinum 2 Reviews

Charleston and Savannah are very similar in my opinion.  I'd head just a bit further south to the Golden Isles.  It is about 1.25 hours S of Savannah...where they have barrier islands:  St Simon's Island, Jekyll Island and Sea Island.  Jekyll has a gorgeous Turtle Hospital, 20 miles of bike trails, a huge drift wood beach of full sized trees and the Jekyll hotel has high tea and will be decked out for Christmas.  St. Simons is a foodie haven.  And you will likely have exclusive beach access, very under utilized during December.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

phctourist Back in March, I suggested a few things to do in Savannah under the "Southern Romance in Savannah -- Top 5 Local Tips" thread. http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/108235#108235

The Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens are extraordinary. Admission is free, but they're closed the week between Christmas and New Year's Day.  Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens Home

Also, consider Wilmington, NC, as a stopover point for a day or two. There's a lot to see and do, including touring the battleship USS North Carolina, which is anchored across the river from downtown Wilmington. There are a number of Marriott properties in Wilmington, including the brand new Courtyard downtown. And there are many, many seafood restaurants and oyster bars along the riverfront. mmmMMMmmm, oysters!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...