1 2 3 9 Previous Next 121 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2014 8:57 AM by rinny54 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Visiting DC area in November

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

erc and vaboywnder, this is the feedback I was hoping for, wondering what others have to say about this property.  It indeed looks like it's in the middle of a shopping center in the photos, but the interior looks pretty nice, though yes, photos can be deceiving.  The RI Capital View is very close by with stellar AAA no adv. purch. rates too, for the nights that the Ritz prices jump back up.  And there is also the Ren Capital View with both great rates and a Cat. 5 (taking bets it won't be that next year).  Also, Key Bridge, $79/night... decisions, decisions...

Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Capital View?  It's a new property, I believe.

And to be sure, my first choice would be the RC WDC, but their pricing (and tier 4 too) is not so cooperative (okay pricing this time of year, but definitely not a steal).  Someday, perhaps...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77,

We stayed at the Renaissance on the July 4th weekend and enjoyed it.  I posted a review and pics here:

Nice Hotel near Regan Airport / Crystal City

A couple of additional notes to pass along.  This hotel is a little further away from a metro station when compared to some of the other Marriott properties in the area but is still within walking distance of the Crystal City Station.  The Renaissance also offers two regular shuttles.  One will take you to Regan Airport and the other will take you to the Crystal City Station. 

If you decide to use a rental car for this trip you may also consider staying at the National Harbor Residence Inn which is a Cat 5 property.  There's lots of things to see and do at the Harbor and you will still be close to DC and Regan Airport but if you want to use the Metro you would have to drive to one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    erc Platinum

pluto77

vaboy's got some good stuff going on there (except for spelling the 40th prez's name ) especially about anyone going to National Harbor, always check Residence Inn, almost always $50 or less than Gaylord (which is a resort and we know what that means ) and you can see the sights just as well (including the lovely Gaylord atrium).

If at the Ritz, you'll want to take the Pentagon City stop into the city. Most, if not all of your walk, can be walked underground if you so desire. Choose Blue or Yellow based on where you want to go in the city.

If interested, let me know when you're in town and if I'm in town, I'll try to drag my date ssindc and we'll join the Wahoo Wonder for a real Washington Wing Ding.

• 3. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Ha...Guess I'll have to start using spell check or start referring to that airport as DCA.

• 4. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

pluto77, did you check the MAYFLOWER?!?!?  Hands down, that's my favorite, and many insiders agree

Alas, the number of choices can be overwhelming...

I'd encourage you to book one hotel now, and check back frequently for other options:

I think the biggest decisions you have to make are:

• budget (and there are many bargains) or extra bucks for .... whatever
    • walk, METRO access, or drive....

Any specific Q's, please let me know...  But, generally, trust erc - you can't go wrong!

• 5. Re: Visiting DC area in November

Thanks for the info, Vaboywnder.  I "took a walk" around the new Ren Cap View property a few months back on Google maps street view.  It looked like an easy walk to the Crystal City metro station, but it doesn't look like you can walk there from the airport terminal (no sidewalks), though as you mentioned, there is the hotel shuttle.  I am learning more and more about the National Harbor from all of you good folks here and it looks like we'll have to pay it a visit one of these trips (perhaps next May when I do my Quantico/Fredericksburg pilgrimage, as I'll definitely have a car then, at least part of the time).  I don't plan to use a car this time.

• 6. Re: Visiting DC area in November

Looking at the first or third weekend in Nov. actually and if you say you guys will be in Bean Town - or if you snag a NY Marriott Eastside deal tomorrow (though I don't see it on the actual Flash Perks page, but if you do, well if you do, just - just-- don't even tell me about it... ), well I won't be surprised.

Question: how is the weather in November?  It would seem logical that an earlier calendar date would = less cold (and how cold is "cold"? lifelong CA res here.)  Also, do you (or anyone else) know about when all of the Christmas decorations go up?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I stayed at the RI Capital View and it was very nice.  Fairly new.  You can go next store to the Ren to eat if you want and can sign to room but no points.

• 8. Re: Visiting DC area in November

SSinDC,

Yes, I did!  I forgot to mention the MAYFLOWER in my post above.  I did in fact find 3 nights one weekend for $135/night, however that was the property with the Alice in Wonderland Rate Rules http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/120628#120628, so I didn't reserve it though am seriously considering it.

I did make a number of other reservations as placeholders and once the decision has been made and the flight booked, I'll go back and clean things up.

I will have a couple of specific Q's, so thanks and thanks as well for the links above.  Good stuff.  Only other expenses are public transit, a couple of entrance fees and - (wonderful DC) dining.

• 9. Re: Visiting DC area in November

Did you have a car or did you walk or shuttle to the metro?

• 10. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

pluto77, if you decide on the first weekend in Nov, let me know too. I'm already booked at the Residence Inn Cap View during the end of that week. We'd be almost neighbors for a day or so.

• 11. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    erc Platinum

I get back from Boston on the first - so that weekend is fine and nothing scheduled for the third weekend either, so keep me posted. I like November weather, it usually runs from mid-forties as a low in the evening to as high as 60 or better in the day, very pleasant (first weekend better than third of course, but both enjoyable).

You'll probably see Christmas decorations at various retail places like the malls, but most of the decorating starts from Thanksgiving or first week December with the trees and poinsettias.

Keep us all posted, if we round up vaboywnder eclektech  ssindc and bejacob we'll use the power of numbers and insist on an appearance by big hauncho NathalieF -oh yeah Insiders Annual Meeting

• 12. Re: Visiting DC area in November
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I hope you don't mind pluto77, that I branched this discussion off from the original topic of 2014 Autumn DC Deal Finds since we seem to be on a new subject.

Don't want to confuse our DC contributors. Please keep this discussion going. Lots of good info here.

• 13. Re: Visiting DC area in November

Bejacob,

I asked community manager to do it here (at the beginning of the turn of path), but after I made the request, it occurred to me that you could do it too (it took me a little while to realize that the originator of the discussion had branching capabilities too.)

Good lookin' out!  Thank you.

• 14. Re: Visiting DC area in November

Okay.  You're in the loop!

1 2 3 9 Previous Next