10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2015 5:01 AM by john_thai RSS

Why do most full service Marriotts not get Comedy Central?

seancd Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else noticed this or wondered about it? 

It's something that's puzzled me.  Most Courtyards/Residence Inns and other more economy hotels offer it but very few full service ones do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why do most full service Marriotts not get Comedy Central?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

seancd,

Good question.  I have also noticed that some full service properties have limited channels in comparison to non full service hotels.  I do have a theory though.  Most non-full service brands just plug right into the local cable line where as many of the full service brands offer "on demand" options for pay.  I'm thinking that those hotels are hoping that if you can't find desired programming that you maybe more tempted to pay for one of the on demand choices.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seancd Platinum

Thanks vaboywnder,

Your theory seems likely.  Of course, I've never paid for on demand; this market should be dying soon with free high-speed internet...

As an aside:

Currently at the Marquis in NYC they do not have my Comedy Central but do of course have RT News (Russian)!  The view of Times Square makes up for it I s'pose

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

It varies & is dependent on what package the FS hotel has signed up for from their provider.  I've been in hotels with a LOT of channels, both in standard & hi-def, and I've been in FS hotels that are more limited.

I've never watched Comedy Central (even at home) so I didn't notice it being missing from the line up.

Cheers.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

The CY in Calgary does not offer the Fox News Channel (FNC) - but it does offer the Oprah Winfrey Channel (OWL). Strange when you consider Nielsen ratings are likely 50:1 in viewership, respectively.

ctboat Platinum 2 Reviews

I was told my a Marriott manager it was because South Park Han an episode that poked the Mormon church.  It was actually pretty funny.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Anything is possible but that reason just doesn't make sense to me. It's possible that the manager at that particular property was offended so he won't carry the channel, but I don't see Marriott doing that as a policy.

I've been battling with the Marriott EA where I stay to give us Fox News but they always have an excuse.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...