3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2014 2:08 PM by brightlybob RSS

"Almost Sold Out"

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As many of you have probably seen over the years, when looking to make a reservation online, sometimes you will see "almost sold out" in a little orange box next to room type when looking at rooms. Does anyone know the criteria are for "almost sold out". By definition that is ambiguous since it doesn't give an exact number. Is that 1 room? Is it 10? Any info would be helpful!

KatieC, merb, erc, IAHFLYR, profchiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Almost Sold Out"
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi ks,

Consolidator sites hold a very large number hotel rooms and of course one never knows the truth about what they're saying about 'last one,' etc. At the same time, keep in mind that they are referring to the rate (usually lowest) you clicked on from tripadvisor, tingo, or wherever.  I usually don't go for those rates anyway, because I don't get all I want.  So there are often OTHER rooms available through that site, but with different amenities and different prices.  And if you find one site sold out try others through tripadvisor.  Only if you see almost all with a circle with a slash in it is it probably sold out.  Then try the hotel site itself if you haven't already.  I often find the same or better prices and more rooms.  Tingo, hotel and a few others have a new feature -- price updates after you've booked, so you can change.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I assumed it was a marketing gimmick, similar to Flashperks.   If you think something is limited or has a short time frame to be booked you'll jump on it because you don't want to lose out.

Cheers.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Whenever I've noticed these flags it's been in relation to a specific room category, not the entire hotel. And of course, because consolidators/agents have allocations it's possible to find rooms available with them that are supposedly sold out on Marriott.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...