2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2014 1:47 AM by californian RSS

What is the best way to get from Sorrento to Rome?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have heard such horror stories about the Naples train station that I don't want to take a train.

I have been checking and if I hire a car and driver the cost is from $450 - 700 for the 3 hour ride.  In addition a tip might be expected.  I really don't want to pay that much.

I could fly Naples to Rome for $200 and add about $100 for transportation to the airport and a few dollars for hotel shuttle to Rome hotel.

I could drive but many say that driving in Italy is undesirable.  I read the worst part is getting out of Sorrento.  I can rent a car for under $100 and add gas and tolls which will add cost.  If I did this I could stop in Pompeii on way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy
Italy
Sorrento, ITALY
  • Re: What is the best way to get from Sorrento to Rome?
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

There is a bus that goes from in front of the Sorrento train station to Rome.  The one I took left very early in the morning about 5 or 6 am a few (or more) years ago. 

There used to be two companies that ran the bus line.  I believe one of them stopped.  But, there must be at least one line running still on that route. Names are not exact but something like curreri and mazzloti???

I drove, as a single female, all throughout Italy.  The only issue I had was taking a wrong exit on my way to Sorrento and getting stuck in the crazy traffic in  Naples.  Stupid mistake on my part. 

I really don't know who told you driving in Italy in undesirable .  Yes, Italians will tailgate and drive in two lanes but stay over to the right lane and you'll be fine!  It is the only viable way to see many parts of Italy.

I would personally not drive the road along the Amalfi Coast but that is because I am afraid of heights and that drive would give me a heart attack!  Take the bus or a boat!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is the best way to get from Sorrento to Rome?
      californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am so glad to hear about your drive since that is my preference.  I did look into the bus and it is a 4 hour drive in tight quarters and I think it does leave very early and I would have to get to the Sorrento train station to catch it..  When I was in Alaska, I debated between the train and bus and the train won and I was glad that I decided on it even though it was me expensive. I was less tired at the end of the day.

Having my own car will allow me to stop at Pompeii and see it at my leisure using an audio set as opposed to hiring a guide and perhaps seeing Mt Vesuvius as well and still getting into Rome before dark.  The rental location is about a 15 walk from my hotel and I figure that I can get the car and return to the hotel and get my luggage and  be off.  Being able to see Pompeii on the way means that I will have an extra day in Sorrento to adjust to the time change and look around.  I would also save on the tour cost to help offset the car.

Thanks newhiltonmembr

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...