10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 9:00 AM by iahflyr RSS

Marriott.com profile badges

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I've noticed there's badges with cool points associated to them.  I got the plat. prem one but don't seem to have credit for others that maybe I should.  Does anyone know if these things work from date of "opt in" forward to earn or if these are based on your history/account values?  I'm curious because I also should have the 1000 night one if its a cumulative thing vs starting now (opt in time) forward.  I'm probably never going to trip another 1000 nights (or 700 something to reach 2000) so just curious.  The points you get for them are pretty small, so I'm not worried with them, I think the max you can get is like 1000 points but would be cool to see if I can get all the badges

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott.com profile badges
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

This has been on other threads zukracer.  The counter didn't start until the new badges came in last month.  Several MRIs have said how they don't care about the very few points awarded, but do think it is silly not to have history taken into account as the badges do not actually represent anyone's past loyalty to the brand.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Yep, zuk, loyalty is measured now at Marriott as " what have you done for us lately?" loyalty. Tommo is correct it only starts once you opt in.  Now, as far as points here's the potential;

Badges for points in the newest Marriott customer relations interaction

Stay at the same brand twice - 25 points
    Stay at five different brands    - 50 points
    Stay at ten different brands     - 75 points
    Stay at ALL brands                 - 250 points

Head scratchers (Lifetime Plat requires 750 nights; Gold 500)
    perhaps the points are in lieu of a Congratulations Letter

Stay 100 nights                      -   25 (that's right, 25 points)
    Stay 500 nights                      - 125 points
    and my favorite,
    Stay 1,000 nights                   - 250 points

for perspective - points required for your favorite Fairfield Inn 10,000 or more

And yes, you probably won't snag another 1,000 nights and in the rare case that you might, by that time Marriott will be chasing a new audience anyway and the new status will be colored lights on everyone's Apple watch.

Now, here's my request;  and recognizing that I'm perhaps spitting into the wind against that marketing monolith Marriott (hey, I just earned my Alliteration badge, a big A, although wonks at Intergalactic say it stands for something else ), please, please travel veterans like zukracer, taxman193, vaboywnder bejacob et al. that have tremendous travel information to share, please continue sharing your terrific insights with us at Insiders and do not get so heavily invested in collecting electronic badges that your focus is on techniques for maxing out the CY Bistro Beast Badge - thanks.

Granted, I realize as a dinosaur, (I'm one step away from being that woman in the Geico commercial playing Candy Crush with a hammer) and that Marriott knows how to execute gamification to a T, (and heck, I'd probably collect badges too if they gave them for waffles or beer consumption at Marriott brands ), but I certainly hope we keep your terrific travel ideas (each who has provided excellent resources for enhancing my travel) and not succumb to the hypnotic power of badges and turn the site into Wiki Guide for the best way to collect the Moxy badge.

Thank you, I'll now slink back into my cave, fire up the Atari, and see if I can set a new personal record on Pong, pass the cheetos .

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great comments, erc. Chasing badges is a sucker's game.

Here's my thought. Opt in if you like then travel as you normally would. If you earn a few badges (and points) along the way that's great. If not, who cares?

Long before these badges showed up, I thought it would be cool to stay at Marriotts in every state (I'm up to 25 now). I also like to stay at different brands to see what's out there. No badge for the first goal. Does that mean I should abandon the idea of staying at Marriotts in other 25 states? Heck no! Likewise, I do not plan on revisiting all those states if a new badge recognizing stays in different states becomes available. BTW, I accidentally snagged a couple badges in August (the CY and SHS ones) though I had to involve the community manager to actually get them.

Maybe the best way to think of these badges is like money you find on the street. Don't go looking for it, but pick it up if you find it (oh look, I just found 50 bonus points because I stayed at 5 different brands ). The points aren't worth seeking. Nor are the bragging rights of collecting the whole set.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

bejacob,

I totally agree.  These badges are not worth making extra trips or staying at different hotels for. However if you can earn a few extra points for your normal Marriott activity why not participate?  Just sign up once and let the chips fall where they may.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm not necessarily chasing them but likely have earned most of them already through just going to work.  As with many "successful" roll outs of things with Marriott, eh they don't always do a fabulous job of validating everyone got everything they should have from the promo, so I was curious if these should be "back dated" or not.

That said, I'd never actively chase them for the paltry sum of points they provide either, just like I've not attempted to earn the 25pts per social media tag.  If they were to make these into something cool where you could get points like a mega bonus promo, then I'd probably ***** myself around a bit more to other brands making sure I had ticked all the boxes to get them, as I'm sure others would too .   Not back dating the nights though, that would have to be a massive carrot (7 figure points) to get me to put another 700 nights in towards ticking off the 1000 night badge

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

look this is free you need to do nothing you wouldn't normally do. yes i have a few and haven't changed my plans to get. more 

h60plt Platinum

Am I the only one who thinks that the Marriott profile badges to points ratio is whacked?  Stay for 1000 nights and the Marriott Points Gods will give you an extra 250 points, seriously?  What could I possibly reward myself with 250 points?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Whoooooooo hooooooo, got me a 25 points and "Brand Badge" today!! LOL

An early Christmas present.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Which Brand did you score, IAHFLYR ?   oh, nevermind, I just noticed the date of your post..lol.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

painedplatinum LOL....I think that date would indicate the East Side Marriott in NYC when we saw BIlly Joel at da Garden.

Not getting badges other than Marriott and RI as we've pretty much sworn off CY as we find the beds very uncomfortable to sleep on or anything else ().  We've swung over the RI when in RSW and we can walk right across the parking lot to see our favorite and now famous CY Bartender for a few "prescribed meds" before we fire up the grill.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...