8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2015 11:17 AM by brightlybob RSS

Gold/Platinum Status

jbeiii Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently a Gold member.  I have seven stays, for a total of 14 night, scheduled between now and the end of the year.  This will bring me to a total of 40 nights for the year, ten shy of retaining Gold sstatus.  I have heard I can do a Gold or Platinum Challenge to retain or upgrade my status.  I have also heard I can use 25k points to retain my Gold status at the end of the year.  What are my options, if any, and if there are options which would you recommend?  Thanks for taking the time to read my question! 

jbeiii

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold/Platinum Status
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi jbeiii!

Welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum! I'm very excited to have you as a part of our community!

This site is the perfect place to ask questions like the one you pose here, request recommendations or insights, and share experiences with a large network well-versed travelers. From photos, to tips about different regions and properties, as well as perspectives on many aspects of the Marriott Rewards program, this forum is a wonderful place.

I would encourage you to check out our Getting Started Guide while you explore the site, for it contains information and tips for using the page that I think you'll find useful.

Also, please don't hesitate to reach out to me ,joshm, or KatieC or NathalieF with any questions or concerns. We make up the moderation team for the forum!

You ask some great questions regarding your Gold/Platinum status, and I'm going to reach out to our team at large to get clarification on the points you bring up!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jbeiii Gold

Thank you!  I really appreciate it and look forward to hearing from them.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I can answer the 2nd part. If you fail to reach the 50 nights required to maintain your Gold Elite status, you will be offered a change to "buy" back your status. You are correct that it costs 25,000 reward points. Typically that offer is good for a few months into the new year. If you don't mind parting with the points, that is probably your best option.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Wait to see if you actually drop down.  If you've been Gold for a while they might extend it as a courtesy for next year.  If not, then you have the option of buying back the status with 25K points or then asking for a Gold challenge.  They're not going to do anything until after the year ends.  A

lso, if you don't have a Marriott Visa you could consider getting one as you get 15 nights credit each year & a Cat 1-5 cert annually.

Alternatively, if you want to get 10 nights credit, hold a meeting.

"Will I earn Elite status by booking meetings and events with Marriott?

As a Rewards member, you will earn 10 Elite nights for each group, meeting or event in addition to the points or miles earned for any qualifying charge.

Following the event, your Elite nights will be posted or added to any existing Elite nights in your account, along with the points or miles earned. "

Rewarding Events - FAQs

Cheers.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi jbeiii,

bejacob is correct in that you may buy back your status, for 25,000 points before April 1st, and 40,000 after that. Downgrades usually occur by the mid part of February, so that give you a bit of time before the point increase.

You are also correct that you can do an Elite Challenge to upgrade your status. These Challenges can be offered only one time in the rolling year, and can only be offered for one level higher up. So a Silver status can request a Gold challenge, but not a Platinum.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

Lindsey

jbeiii Gold

Thanks to all of you for the help!

acclau Platinum 1 Reviews

Is the Elite Challenge available for all regions, say Asia?  It is by invitation or can call the CS directly to ask for that?

Thanks.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The elite challenges are available to all members, wherever they are in the world...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...