7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2014 3:14 AM by tommo781 RSS

In Room Amenities

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone. There is a thread running at the moment about the telephones being "rationed" in some hotels.  The specified item was not found.  On that thread I have mentioned notepaper.

The whole discussion has got me thinking about how in room amenities have changed in the years I have been using Marriott.  I wondered if any of you all have any pet peeves.  Mine are (in no particular order):-

I too have noticed the phone is often down to one beside the bed at FS Marriotts here in the UK, whereas there used to be one on the desk as well.  I would prefer one on the desk too, and I am not on business.  I want it there for ringing friends etc.

Notepaper.  There always used to be a few sheets of notepaper and a pen, both next to the bedside phone and the desk phone.  Just small sheets of paper, but ideal for scribbling down quick notes.  Now all we get is one piece of white card and one pen in the room.  The piece of card has the Marriott logo on, but is frequently not replaced when it has been used.  Really mean IMHO.

Slippers.  In suites etc here in the UK, you used to get really nice slippers.  White thick, and fluffy, closed in toe with the Marriott logo embroidered on them.  I ALWAYS use slippers, and loved the ones we used to get.  Now all we get is cheap towelling thin slippers, open toed, no logo.  They fall to bits after 2 days, but are never replaced when I stay longer, even though I have put them in the bin.

Tables.  There always used to be a decent sized table in a suite.  Now there is a very stylish small round table.  Lovely to look at, but try having room service dinner or breakfast for 2 on it.  Much of the food has to sit on a tray on the floor until required.  Very cramped!

I am pretty anal when it comes to packing for trips.  I have a "packing list" which I stick to religiously. Recently I have found myself adding notepaper and slippers!  (Obviously I can't take a phone or a table )

I am sure I have missed out severl items.  What does everyone else think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United Kingdom
  • Re: In Room Amenities
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Maybe it's just the places I visited, but I always find note paper and a pen in my room. I will admit, there is rarely more than a few sheets of paper on the notepad, but it's always been enough. Frequently, I find paper both on the desk and on the beside table near the phone. I can understand why each room only gets a few pieces of paper (if they leave with the guest it doesn't cost as much to replace them). 

I do have one question for you Tommo781. What do you mean you can't take a phone? I thought everyone travels with a cell phone these days.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Interesting bejacob.   Because here in the UK I always used to get the 2 lots of notepaper and pens that you get.  But in my last 4 visits, it has turned into 1 piece of card and one pen.

As to phones.  Well, firstly I am a dinosaur, and only have a mobile (cell) phone on pay as you go for emergencies/reassurance.    Only about 2 people know the number, as it is usually turned off!   I don't use it for day to day calls.  And if my friends in towns I visit want to phone me, it is a lot more cost effective for them to phone the hotel and get put through to my room than to ring a cell phone.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Interesting topic, Tommo781. I, like you, am a big fan of the in-room slippers and would be sad to see them go! I'm curious to hear the perspectives of the rest of the community, as this sounds like bejacob's experiences vary slightly from yours.

The nice in room slippers have already gone here in the UK as I said.  All we get is cheap nasty things that fall apart.  I wouldn't mind if I was in a cheap room, but I always book suites or equivalent, and think this is penny pinching in the extreme.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

In-room slippers, notepads, and extra phones are all items that, while appeal to many, are simply no different than blankets or pillows, free baggage, extra legroom, free meals, etc on airplanes.  I suppose its also the same as 16 oz bags of chips that are now 14 oz but the same price.  Inflation is upon us, pressure for companies to make a profit is huge, and we are all being asked to sac rife somewhere.  God forbid we discuss healthcare and the restrictions being applied as well as co-ops increasing considerably.

I don't disagree with the frustration, just maybe getting used to the 'less is more' philosophy…..

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I think the in room stuff really varies by brand and location.  I've noticed similar things while in the UK but not as much in the US.  In the US however there are other subtle things like shampoo bottles or soaps not being replaced each day.  I don't know if this is a "training issue" or someone being a cheap-o trying to save a few bucks.  The time's I've noticed and said something it's been corrected but just annoying to have to say something.  One of the things I have done at a few places is to make sure I mention anything specific when checking into the property.  For example, we checked into a place at the beach for 2 nights.  My wife said she'd just use the hotel shampoo/conditioner so we didn't have to worry with packing her stuff.  I asked them to make sure we had plenty of both and each day there were 4 of each.  Again kinda stinks to have to say something but in doing so I knew I didn't have to worry once I arrived in the room each day.

Very interesting that you have noticed it in the UK, but not so much in the US zukracer.  I also agree with Mrs Z.  Mrs Tommo always uses the hotel shampoo, because carrying large bottles of liquids such as that in luggage takes up space and is heavy - even travelling within the UK.  Personally my real gripe is the notepaper.  Just 4/5 sheets of cheap paper, which were so handy, now gone.   How penny pinching is that!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...