13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 10:15 PM by iahflyr RSS

The Music of Our Lives

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just back from a trip and a month from the next, it occurs to me how much music affects our past and present, and also the fact that we hear it in airports, on planes, (alas) in elevators, and always in hotel restaurants.  What are your favorite songs?  What are your favorite groups?  I found I could not limit myself to numbers, so I'll just put forth mine:

Favorite Songs (with a particular singer if it matters)

Wild World (Cat Stevens)

Fire and Rain (James Taylor)

The Way I Always Heard It Should Be (Carly SImon)

Tennessee (Johnny Halliday)

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)

Amsterdam (Cora -- in English or German)

Fields of Athenry

Blowin' in the Wind

Seasons in the Sun

Yesterday

Scarborough Fair

Space Odyssey (David Bowie)

San Francisco (Scott McKenzie)

In The Year 2525

The Night Chicago Died

Always on My Mind (Willie Nelson)

Panis Angelicus (Charlotte Church)

The Way We Were

You Raise me Up (Josh Groban)

Time to Say Goodbye (Bocelli)

When God Made Me (Neil Young)

Amazing Grace (Almost anyone)

Greatest Love of All (Whitney Houston)

American Pie and Vincent(Don McLean)

Nikita(Elton John)

If You Could Read My Mind(Gordon Lightfoot)

Favorite Groups/Artists

Beatles

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Credence Clearwater Revival (and John Fogarty alone too)

Johnny Cash

The Byrds

Judy Collins

Harry Chapin

Joan Baez

Scott McKenzie

The Guess Who

U2

Andrea Bocelli

Johnny Cash

Reba McIntyre

Earth, Wind and Fire

Peter, Paul and Mary

Celtic Woman

Eagles

Edith Piaf

Celine Dionne (sorry to all those haters out there like my next)

Whitney Houston

Bonnie Tyler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: The Music of Our Lives
    erc Platinum

That's right profchiara,

like The specified item was not found. sez, "it's ok that you gum your food, there's some terrific purees out there"!

Similarly I like many of those same songs, many which provide nostalgic flashbacks. A bit of a twist to this thread, here's a song that even josh has heard, it's a one hit wonder that has earned my respect not for its artistry, but for its remarkable financial success (the artist earns over $100k a year in residuals).

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky - YouTube

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/qa-norman-greenbaum-explains-why-youll-never-stop-hearing-his-song-spirit-in-the-sky-in-trailers-like-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

The amount of movies, tv shows, ads etc it has been used in is phenomenal. Ol' Norman is the man .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Too much good music out there and not enough time to ponder it.  I did listen to a Jason Mraz acoustic cover of Elton John's (and Bernie Taupin's) Rocket Man this morning.  Very appropriate song to listen to on the commute to attacking the mundane of life.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too love Spirit in the Sky!  I forgot to mention two of my other favorites: Those Were the Days and Ferry 'Cross the Mersey.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ProfChiara,

"Spirit in the sky"!  It was a song in "Apollo 13", a wonderful movie!

I had the good fortune to know Fred Haise, and he for sure "Had the Right Stuff"!

PTDC0057.JPG

Fred Haise, a friend, and yours truly.  At the 25th Anniversary of The Apollo program.

Location Brand Hotel
      Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
    insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Fun topic, thanks profchiara

I was a big Elvis fan, but then came the Beatles and I was hooked.  Saw them in person at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis in August of 1965 when I was 13, they stood out on the pitcher’s mound; I was seated behind the first base dugout.  When the concert was over and they ran into the dugout, I swear Paul looked right at me, I’m pretty sure he wanted me.  He obviously overcame his obsession and went on to become a legend, even without me.

I was in high school in the late 60s, college in the early 70s and nothing brings back memories of those days like Chicago, The Doors, Blood, Sweat, and Tears, and Santana.

Will always love Don McLean’s “American Pie”.

Never tire of anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I’ve seen Norman Greenbaum and “Spirit In The Sky” mentioned, which always reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Apollo 13.

Very few artists/songs I like these days.  There’s a song by Train I like, “50 Ways to Say Goodbye”, another by One Republic called, “Love Runs Out”, Delta Rae’s “If I Loved You” and that song by Meghan Trainor, “All About That Bass” has grown on me, especially after the remix Jimmy Fallon did on his show a few days ago.  Jimmy Fallon cracks me up.

And I can sing the whole soundtrack from Funny Girl; “Don’t tell me not to live, just sit and putter, life’s candy and the sun’s a ball of butter, don’t bring a cloud to rain on my parade……” “I’d rather be blue, thinking of you, I’d rather be blue over you, than be happy with somebody else.” “I’m the greatest star but no one knows it……..”  “Oh my man I love him so…….”  Great movie.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

need some soul music on the list like the temptations. Smoky Robinson and four tops

I agree.  How about Lovely Day by Bill Withers.  Maroon 5 does a 'lovely' cover of it.  Adam Levine is - divine (probably a creepy thing for me to say, since he is so young and beautiful and I am so - fifty something. ah, well...)

Okay, more to the point, Lean On Me and Ain't No Sunshine.  Withers was dope!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Like pluto77, too much and too many to ponder, but off the top of my head, here goes:

Allman Brothers Band -- Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, At Fillmore East, Brothers and Sisters, Eat a Peach, Win, Lose or Draw

The Beatles (the entire catalog)

Jimmy Buffett -- White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean, Living and Dying in 3/4 Time, A1A, Changes in Latitudes

Miles Davis -- Kinda Blue

Bob Dylan -- Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Nashville Skyline, Blood on the Tracks, Slow Train Coming

Marvin Gaye -- What's Goin' On (That one's for jerryl)

Bob Marley -- Catch a Fire, Natty Dread, Exodus, Kaya

Joni Mitchell -- Blue, For the Roses, Court and Spark, Hejira

The Police (the entire catalog)

John Prine -- Diamonds in the Rough,Sweet Revenge, The Missing Years

R.E.M. -- Document, Green, Eponymous, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, Reveal

Paul Simon -- Paul Simon, There Goes Rhymin' Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, Graceland

Steely Dan -- Katy Lied, Aja, Gaucho, The Royal Scam, Everything Must Go

Sting -- Dream of the Blue Turtles, Nothing Like the Sun, The Soul Cages, Mercury Falling, Brand New Day

James Taylor -- Sweet Baby James, One Man Dog, Mud Slide Slim, Gorilla, In the Pocket, J.T., Dad Loves His Work

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I am enjoying everyone's choices!  I won't repeat any that you have all put down.  This weekend on my way to an event, I heard Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee" at 7 a.m. and it got me pumped up for the day.  Another of my favorites is "Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen (my sports car driving song).  But I enjoy jazz too, especially Billie Holiday and John Coltrane's saxophone.  If I had to narrow it down, you could peg me as an 80's rock kind of girl!  Full disclosure -- I'm 52 years old.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just came in from the car, 70's on 7 XM Radio as I drove in the driveway Van Morrison came on with "Tupelo Honey" such a classic.

Alice Cooper was at the golf course on Saturday and someone asked him to sing a great tune "No More Mr. Nice Guy" to which he gracefully declined.

Another few off the top:

• Bob Seger -- "Turn the Page" off Silver Bullet, "Old Time Rock & Roll" from Stranger in Town & "Against the Wind" from the same album
    • The Commodores -- "Three Times A Lady" off Natural High
    • Steely Dan --"Hey Nineteen" from Gaucho
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd --"Sweet Home Alabama" from the same album, "Free Bird" off the same album

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

How about Bobby Vinton?

Saw his concert, and he was great!

IMG_3062.JPG

Check out his wonderful songs!  A Polish Treasure!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Listening to Pandora tonight outside while grilling some Bison burgers.......heard a couple of other songs from the past that I had to include.

• James Taylor --"Sweet Baby James" from the same album and "Carolina In My Mind" from his first album titled James Taylor.  So many JT songs.
    • Eric Clapton --"Tears In Heaven" written about the pain after his son died at the tender age of four.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...