10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2014 9:38 AM by profchiara RSS

Amalfi Coast

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Even though some of you know I was rather underwhelmed by things in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast (except the hotel, the dining and the people), that is my own bias, because I need historical things to do.  So here are some pics from my tour of the Amalfi coast. Guemar Travel is fabulous, though I think to get the really good views you need to a night tour (they offer on) or in my case, a seacoast tour, which is offered in group tours locally.

Anyway, some photos, starting with some little cave houses made by a local outdoor artist:

IMG_2754.jpgOne of my favorite stops was at Sant'Andrea Church in Amalfi, which is gorgeous.IMG_2798.jpg

sant'adrea.jpgThen there are beautiful scenes from the winding hilltop roads.IMG_2776.jpgIMG_2822.jpgThis is the "Cloister of Paradise" in Sant' Andrea.cloister of paradise.jpgIn Ravello, the church of San Pantaleone was closed for lunch, but I sat in the square and a tabby cat came up to me. It was one my favorite parts .  I have to see at least one cat on every trip.ravello.jpgA visit to the medieval Villa San Rufolo, where Boccaccio wrote his bawdy stories of the Decameron is a must.

IMG_2806.jpgInside San Rufolo are some beautiful friezes and sculptures.IMG_2812.jpgAnd finally back to Sorrento at the Marina Grande:

sorrento.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Amalfi Coast
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Thanks, profchiara for sharing photos; looks inviting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks for the pictures.  Looks interesting.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wonderful pictures Prof, brings back memories of our trip there in 2012, such a gorgeous spot with so much to offer along the entire coast.

Do you think taking a day tour to see this would be worth it?  I will have 3 days in Sorrento.

Without a doubt....from the city of Amalfi up to the incredible city on the hill Positano it is very much worth it.  Wonderful views and lovely spots along the road in the tiny Italian towns to grab a bite to eat and some divine wine.

I will be sailing the Croatian Coast and was wondering if I would want to tour the Amalfi as well.  From your comment, I think I should.  Thanks.

You'll love it.  Not to upstage Prof, but I posted pictures from our trip in 2012 to the coast on here, I'll try to link it later on this evening.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and photos profchiara! The Amalfi Coast is one of my favorite places that I have visited, and your photos have made me a little nostalgic . Thanks again!

erc Platinum

Borr iiing!  Ha! As you shared, you would rather study the artifacts in the forest of gloom of the Battle of the Shrubbery where the Knights Who Say Ni  The Knights Who Say Ni   succumbed to Arthur's coconut cavalry and their powerful "it" weapon (essentially the extent of my medieval history knowledge ); others would find your most recent trip to be just the ticket. See, that's what makes the world and this forum go 'round and I'm glad for it. Thanks for sharing the great photos and lovely scenery.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

You're absolutely right, erc, but ideally (and most of the time) I get both.  I purposely did not study Siberia or Kazakhstan (though thanks to Borat that might have been interesting) so that I could study history in places I found interesting and which also happened to be beautiful or fascinating.  Fortunately, for me almost all of Greece is beautiful, as is much of Italy and France, where I spend most of my time.  I will exempt Milan from any discussion of beauty - yuck. Funny place to have Fashion Week.

I think I would have liked the Amalfi Coast better by sea, both because I love being on the sea, and I would have 'seen' more. Anyway, when Vesuvius became impossible, I just enjoyed the pools and had good meals in Sorrento.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...