2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2014 4:34 PM by profchiara RSS

HotelTalk?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I think most of us are aware of FlyerTalk and use it a lot or a little.  At times I find it very difficult to find useful information quickly, and you have learn how to do genius searches if you want very specific info.  Some of the people are also quite snarky.

At the same time, I would ask if there is something similar like HotelTalk?  I ask because I have three European reservations made before January 1, and all can be cancelled the night before.  Since I look on tripadvisor, hotels.com, booking.com, tingo.com, trivago.com and a few others, I regularly get emails from all of them saying prices have gone down on hotels I've "looked at."  Tingo also apparently ensures if prices go down you'll get the best price, though I have not used them yet.

So first of all, does something like this exist?  If not, shouldn't it?  I have a fairly expensive reservation coming up (though not out of this world) in Greece, and am constantly getting updates on any and every hotel I look at with lower figures (though in some cases I have checked hotel websites and their prices are better). In Athens, there is a good likelihood I will eventually book the Ledra (I'm currently booked at the Athens Gate Hotel) for the pool, though the Hilton also has a pool and is better located.  I have very conflicted loyalties because while the Ledra's new manager wrote me in rather generic terms, wonderful Nadia wrote me personally.  Still, their posted prices are WAY WAY above those on hotels, booking, tingo etc for the best rooms.

Surely one of you with all the computer skills can become the founder and CEO of HotelTalk?  We could use you!s

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: HotelTalk?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Interesting thoughts and business idea, @profchiara. I'm sure there are other frequent travelers who would love to see HotelTalk launch! Anyone know of any existing tools that they recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: HotelTalk?
      profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

The idea occurred to me since I am no longer a loyalty member in any real sense of a hotel program.  But I learned something through doing.  I have a reservation at a great price at a centrally located hotel in Athens starting 10/10 that is cancellable up to 10/9.  (The hotel is now sold out.)  But this gives me complete leverage.  Since I always check the Ledra and other hotels I might want to stay at on booking, hotels, expedia, tingo, etc., all I had to do was one search on each for Athens.  I took them up on none.  But every week since, I learn from each of them of reduced prices for any hotel I looked at.  I don't think the hotel industry works like the airlines, because these days airlines have figured out how to have fully, disgustingly full flights.  Hotels don't have that option because there is too much competition.

So if there is an entrepreneur on this site, why not start HotelTalk?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...