3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2008 9:04 PM by gijane RSS

Antartica

bagsarepacked Silver
Currently Being Moderated
The seventh continent--a must if you want to say that you did it all! One time we did it on a small cruiser--great. But on our second trip we took the Russian Akademik Ioffe reseach vessel---ice rated so that we could get right in with the ice-bergs and narrow channels. Twice a day Zodiac trips to shore to visit the scientific stations of Chili, Poland and the abandoned British base. You'll never forget it and you will have "done it all".      Bagsarepacked

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Antartica
    mourningalaska Silver
    This sounds awesome!  Just how do you go about getting on one of those vessels???  Do you have any websites where I can do some research?  Thanks...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bagsarepacked Silver
    to Mourning----Google Akademic Ioffe. You will find many links to this ship's planned voyages from Antarctica to the Northwest Passage. This ship is fully ice-rated,well staffed with knowledgable lecturers as well as good food. For this kind of voyage, the Akademic Ioffe cannot be beat.  Bon Voyage

gijane Gold

I went in December 2004.  It was an incredible trip.  Here is some information to help for the ship I took:

http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/our-fleet/lyubov-orlova

http://www.polarcruises.com/ship.cfm?pole=Antarctica&ship_id=13&mainnav=ships

If other readers want more information, you may contact me here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...