2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2014 12:42 PM by iahflyr RSS

Flying United First HNL to YYZ - Still Time to Cancel!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I have booked my YYZ-RNO.... RNO-HNL..... HNL-YYZ trip today, and I am having second thoughts regarding United's First seating.  I did a quick search using "United" and "Hawaii" on MRI and the first few hits which popped up included:

"You didn't mention the United plane flying to Hawaii and sprung a leak in the fuel tank and it landed..."

"United plane's evacuation slide deploys mid-flight - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser"

Needless to say, that wasn't terribly encouraging. 

My biggest concern lies with the HNL-IAH-ORD-YYZ leg.  HNL to IAH is going to be 7.5 hrs long and I am not sure how comfortable the seats in the older Boeing 777-200 are going to be.  It doesn't even appear as if they have power to the seats!  I have done search upon search upon search and I am getting nothing but older.  Does anyone have any insight into these aircraft or the travel itself?  I truly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Here is the version of the aircraft:  Boeing 777-200 (777) version 4 | United Airlines

Thank you.

(Tagging IAHFLYR, and anyone else who may have insight.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Flying United First HNL to YYZ - Still Time to Cancel!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi missgee,

I am just getting caught up after being gone for a week from MI so let me see what else I can find on the HNL-IAH trip other than it's right now being flown with an old UA B772 which is most likely going to be a very early delivery aircraft.  It appears to have plain old domestic First Class seats which are not all that bad as long as they are similar to the A320 or B737's, but for the 7 1/2 hours I'd want more space and a lie flat seat.  Once in a while you'll get an aircraft schedule change and end up with a CO B764 that has life flat seats and is a great ride, but that's more a roll of the dice than I'd want to take.

My suggestion without even looking would be to check HNL to SFO, ORD, or even EWR to get the B764 or a CO B752 both of which have lie flat seats in Business First which will be UA First Class.  I know the B764 is currently flying the HNL-EWR flight again all subject to change by the time you probably are taking the trip.  Also, look at flying AC and what they offer on flights even from IAH-YYC you can get a CRJ7 with FC and probably a nice seat for non-stop which is always my preference over making connections.

Hope this helps and just let me know what else I can confuse you with!   I will look and see what other cites you might get life flat seats from back and forth to HNL.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Flying United First HNL to YYZ - Still Time to Cancel!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

missgee,

Best thing I have found (again now having any idea what time of year you were looking) is HNL-SFO on a B764  that will have lie flat seats, it leaves HNL at 7:25 A.M. on the day I checked.  All the other flights from HNL-SFO are old UA airplanes and don't have lie flat seats in FC.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...