19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2014 9:43 AM by fschumpert RSS

Summer's Almost Over - What Will You Miss the Most?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Living in the S.E. US, I always look forward to enjoyment of cold watermelon, SC peaches (especially "Freestones") and vine-ripe tomatoes - not the mealy kind that are available in winter -  as shown below. Forgot to mention - boiled peanuts (I'm sure a favorite of all the "northerners"!) - See attachment below

Summer Fruit.jpg

What are some of your favorite things that you'll miss when summer season - not just foods - is gone?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Summer's Almost Over - What Will You Miss the Most?
    KatieC Member

YUM! Love watermelon, fschumpert! One of my colleagues just brought in some fresh-from-the-garden cucumbers yesterday. Any recs on how to prepare them this weekend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Katie, if you aren't going to make pickles - such as "Bread 'n Butter" variety - and plan to use them right away you might consider peeling the cucumbers, cutting them in thin slices, and combine with slices of tomatoes and pour white wine vinegar over them and serve as a salad. You can also add a little sugar for taste. Of course, you can just put cucumber slices in a tossed, green salad as well. Then, of course, if you don't want to eat them, sleep with them on your eyes.......

cucumbers-for-eyes-1.jpg

KatieC Member

All great! I have enough to do it all!

Katie, if you have left over cucumbers and want to make bread 'n butter pickles, let me know and I'll send my mother's recipe

KatieC Member

Thank you SO much, @fschumpert! We devoured them in a salad at our daughter's party this weekend, but maybe next year!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll miss the longer days. My travel consists of a lot of driving and I prefer to get to my hotel before dinner (and before dark). That's much easier when daylight lasts past 7pm

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

We keep the herb beds covered and growing through the winter so as to have fresh herbs available year-round, but as always, I'll mostly miss the fresh, homegrown vegetables straight from the garden.

alvidarose Gold 16 Reviews

I will miss being able to cook and eat outside everyday the most.  We normally eat all meals outdoors from breakfast  on the deck, weekend lunches on the porch to daily dinners in the backyard.  I'll miss the sunbrellas and hammocks and laying about like a slacker.  Its already fall like here and already boots & sweater weather.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Vine-ripened tomatoes and sweet corn!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Definitely the seasonal fruit and veg!  I will also miss not having to wear shoes.    I am like Agador from The BirdCage. 

The Birdcage - Agador Spartacus Compilation (Hank Azaria) - YouTube

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...