10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2014 1:29 PM by skiadcock RSS

Another problem with Marriott Rewards

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am totally fed up with Marriott rewards not being posted! With technology the way it is why on earth do points not automatically post? Once again I have had to chase a hotel for my most recent stay in August (The Marriott Downtown New York - where I had a great stay!), they've emailed Marriott rewards and still nothing.

Why is it that sometimes the points are posted the next day, sometimes a day after, then you get inconsistencies when nothing posts at all, so what is going on? I wasn't asked on this occasion but in the past Ive been asked to fax my bill to prove I stayed there - whats that all about, I stayed in a Marriott property, I paid for it, the hotel has a record of my stay so whats the problem.

Marriott - you need to get your act together. Why are you employing staff to sit and chase up guests non credit of points? This is not the first time I've posted something regarding this and if Marriott are so behind in the way they work then it won't be the last. If an airline like British Airways can post my miles the next day without fail, why can''t Marriott! Not impressed one bit!

Can someone from Marriott please answer how points are actually posted? I would be very interested to know if someone has to manually do it?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Another problem with Marriott Rewards
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I understand totally what you are saying.  Personally, I have not had a problem with points not being posted, but if I had I would be thinking along the same lines as you.

I know from talking to someone at a Marriott I go to regularly, that they put the points on at hotel level.  So I am guessing that if they are missing, it is something to do with the hotel.  BUT when it goes right, as it does for me, the points are posted within 24 hours.  So surely missing stays should be able to be dealt with after a maximum of 48 hours (to allow for time differences etc).  And why do we have to supply a copy of the bill?  Why do we have to go to the bother of scanning, emailing, faxing or whatever?  Surely the name of the hotel and the confirmation number should be enough.

I thought I lived in the 21st century.  I am very computer unsavvy, but even I can see the logic of being able to access the details have said in Marriott computer system to correct missing points!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for your reply Tommo781. In this particular case I emailed the hotel and they copied me in to an email they sent to Marriott rewards asking them to post my points - so if it is the hotel that is supposed to post them I'm not sure why they have emailed Marriott rewards - is it called "passing the buck"? Whatever, I haven't had them and I'm sorry to say that I am not really concerned how busy they may be because at the end of the day, if Marriott had a system in place to automatically post points then there would not be a back log of guests points to be sorted out. Also, its not Marriott rewards fault, they are there to help out and answer queries but their workload could be made much easier by Marriott getting a proper system in place.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I couldn't agree with you more!  How busy; understaffed; under pressure; under training; etc etc any organisation is, it ain't anything to do with the customer, and the customer shouldn't be involved in their inadequacies.  Do they care about my doctor's appointment; dental problems; family illness etc.  Of course they don't, and why should they?

You are 100% right.  It is a proper system that is required.  That would halp the customer, and Marriott employees.

and so another day goes by.... still no points or nights added. No response from anyone on here from Marriott to answer the question I asked about how points are posted.

Can you imagine if a large company like British Airways relied on a human being to sit and process points for every passengers travel  - no. Thats why its automated.

So, why do Marriott not do the same? Why should it take up to 10 days for points to post? Why do points not get credited at all sometimes? Marriott should be on top of their game, the manpower involved to credit guests and the follow on manpower to get queries sorted out is unbelievable in this day and age.

Even less impressed with Marriott today than I was a few days ago.

corey_tremblay Member

Agreed.  I was completely screwed over with Marriott not updating my folio to be miles rewards vs.  Points.  United air I lost 3x miles,  jetblue 2x!!! I had a horrible stay: where I was supposed to have extra points put on account prior to check out so they could be used towards  my supposed account details on her screen as "miles plugged in the system" bonus points were not added for two weeks after.  Still zero contact from management regarding many attempts to resolve problem,  get refund,  and ecolab report for the parasite in my room.  So irritated and just so done with Marriott and customer service

I sympathise completely. I've now emailed the hotel twice and on both occasions they've contacted Marriott rewards, I contacted MR yesterday and still nothing has happened.

I'd prefer Marriott to sort out their way of posting points to guests accounts in an automated way, rather than spending time developing a system that tells us how many points we have accrued in our lifetime. If Marriott don't post the points in the first place, whats the point of having a facility of seeing how many we've earned?

Totally frustrated, and annoyed. Never have this problem with Hilton or British Airways.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Quite often we read about points not posting, whether it's for the stay, or the breakfast points, or the Platinum arrival gift points, etc.  Marriott expects its rewards members to take time from their days & responsibilities to jump through hoops to get it corrected, showing no respect for their members time.  I've said for a few years that if points don't post, then there should be penalty points deposited into the reward members accounts.

I totally agree with you about penalty points but i'd rather Marriott had a better system in place that made sure that points were processed quickly and efficiently. The manpower involved and expense to the company must be huge providing staff at the rewards centre who spend a massive amount of time investigating missing points and nights credits, this should be a priority for Marriott management to get it right. And as you quite rightly state, Marriott expect its loyal customers to eat in to their valuable time to chase up what they are owed which is terribly unfair. There must also be a large number of customers who simply don't have the time to check their accounts and therefore, miss out when points are not posted. Unfortunately for me, it has happened too many times and I have to check and chase up more and more these days, when I'd rather be doing something more constructive. In the meantime, yes, Marriott should have to provide a penalty similar to other compensation benefits already in place to its customers.

Message was edited by: platinumstar

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like Platinumstar, I agree with the idea of penalty points but would say it should apply not only to missing stays, (which for me is very rare, only 1 or 2 times in 8 years) but also for point shorting which is the utter bane of my Marriott life.

Ive just returned from a 6 night Marriott tour, staying consecutively at BexleyHeath Marriott, Heathrow Marriott, Ren St Pancras and Champs Élysées Marriott and have found I've been shorted 6,000 points by the Ren St Pancras and 2300 points by the Champs Élysées Marriott. This is on top of my realisation today that my 10 qualifying nights for a meeting I held at the Heathrow Ren on 1st August haven't credited either... *sigh*

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I hear you on that Bob.  I've got an int'l stay with a $3,000 folio & received only 1/3 the points I'm due, so have to contact them, fax or email the folio, &  then have to remind them that the exchange rate was higher at the time so to credit me for what it actually was vs. what it is now.  Grrr.

Do I believe Marriott should get its systems working properly?  Absolutely.  But until they do I also think they should offer additional points (aka, the penalty points) to our accounts when they don't post properly or post at all.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...