5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2014 2:29 PM by skiadcock RSS

Hotel Staffers Cleaning/Servicing YOUR Occupied Suite/Room with Door Closed?

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Fellow Insiders, as a guest how would you feel if you walked in on a hotel maid or other hotel staffer/agent in your room with the door closed? Would you or should you knock to enter the rooms/suites you are paying to occupy if you think a staffer is inside with the door closed? How would you as a guest handle the situation of witnessing hotel staffers/temporary agents in the rooms of other guests with the door closed?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Staffers Cleaning/Servicing YOUR Occupied Suite/Room with Door Closed?
    cjkatl Platinum

Believe it or not, I'd go back to the front desk, explain that there is someone in my room with the door closed and ask for someone to go into the room with me. If the door is closed, you have no idea who is in there doing what. Yes, it is likely someone cleaning the room, especially if the cart is outside, but you won't know that for sure until you open the door or knock. Why take the remote chance it's something else? If it's the hotel's policy to have the housekeepers in there with the door closed, they should understand your apprehension. If it's not their policy, they will correct the situation so it doesn't happen again in the future.

As for rooms that aren't mine, I'd mind my own business. You don't know the situation particulars.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotel Staffers Cleaning/Servicing YOUR Occupied Suite/Room with Door Closed?

Thanks ... In a situation that stands outs, glaringly so, a professional gentleman hotel neighbor has demanded (I assume for his protection and reputation sake ) that the door to his suite be kept WIDE OPEN when staffers are in there working; yet when this gentleman is out I have time and time again witnessed maids(only one permanent staffers)but almost all temporary agents go into his suite and close the door.Now this gentleman has a profession that lends itself to his having unusual hours and he pops in and out, sometimes I get to hear the uncomfortable exchange of his' walking in on a maid.

I tend to view the world through the prism of what if this or that.., a bad habit left over from my now retired profession and from my just being an aware woman. I think it just good legal sense for the hotels to require that staffers working in guest rooms keep those doors open!!  Just wondering the opinion of other Insiders. Thank You.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i dont know how to feel about this, in hotels with hundreds of rooms and hundreds of guests, whos to say some random person cant just enter the room with the door already open pretending to be the guest in it and possibly steal your stuff while housekeeping cleans thinking you are the guest? unless they know for sure who is in that room because they have seen you before in it. If that happened house keeping would probably be blamed for it

If I were a housekeeper and ANY person entered a room I was cleaning(door opened or closed) and I did not have a clue as to whether or not that person belonged to that room I would hope that I would have enough sense to politely ask some question of that person and/or seek some other means of discerning the identity of that person.

Could there be some roaming thief seeking an opportunity to steal, maybe, but the bigger concern for that cleaner should be self protection from someone watching the ill conceived practice of closing a door to a room and then barring that door and then that someone making all kinds of mischief with that hapless cleaner that may not be discovered for hours; or that cleaner being held at fault for something being removed from that room behind that closed door, or being accused of unwanted conversation or physical contact with the legitimate guest(s) occupying that room.

From the position of a guest I would want the door to my room/suite WIDE OPEN when staffers are cleaning/servicing as I should not have to worry about some possibly emotionally disturbed staff person or just a staffer with a thieving  spirit at some hotel: stealing from me, roaming through or using my left behind personal effects, or making a bogus claim that I have acted or said anything that might cause harm to my reputation or career. Remember that IMF Chief and what happened in that case?

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

In the past it was more common for doors to be open when housekeeping was cleaning the rooms.  I think more have gone to closed doors because of the potential theft situation - ie, someone who is not the guest sees the door open, spots electronics/jewelry/cash in the room, housekeeping might be in the bathroom cleaning, thief comes in quietly, grabs the stuff & is out the door.  Heck, I've even thought that when I've walked down a hall, seen a door open, glance inside & see things out there - hmm, I could probably snatch that & housekeeping might not even see me because she's in the bathroom.  Of course since I'm honest I've never done it!

Now I've seen it both open & closed (depending on property).  Often if it's closed, besides the cart being outside there will be a card on the door handle saying room being serviced.  I've entered a room where the door was closed (not knocking), just say hi to the maid, and head to the desk & start working on my laptop.  I don't think I've ever been asked to provide id in those cases, probably because they assume I couldn't get in without the key & they see me start working.  I have been asked for id if I ask housekeeping to let me into my room because I've forgotten the room key inside (it's easier to ask housekeeping if they happen to be on the floor than go all the way back to the front desk to get another key).

Besides not worrying about a stranger (non-guest) getting in my room when door is open, the other reason I prefer the door closed method is sometimes housekeepers will turn on the radio & if I'm down the hall I have to listen to music when the door is open if by chance I'm in my room when they're cleaning others.

If someone was uncomfortable with the door being closed when they are in the room with the maid, they can just say to the maid I prefer the door to be open & ask them to keep it open.  It doesn't need to be a large histrionic thing.

How have I handled housekeeping cleaning other rooms with the desk closed?  By doing nothing, as I'm assuming it's the hotel's policy for housekeeping & other people's rooms are not my bizness.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...