8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2014 4:06 AM by kharada46 RSS

Hotels Mimicking Airlines

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A somewhat interesting read:

Mimicking the airlines, hotels get fee-happy - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

I can already see this happening, especially at resorts, but not to the extent described in the article.  Marriott, please don't resort to these practices more than you've already done! 

What have your experiences with hotel fees been.  A refreshing change, from what I've heard, is the fact that Hyatt's Andaz brand doesn't charge for minibar items (except alcohol). 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hotels Mimicking Airlines
    erc Platinum

Nothing new here, as you observe, it's already happening, and as you would be one of the first to know, pleading with Marriott not to 'resort' (Hawaiian humor) to these practices will fall upon deaf ears because it is the "We do it because we can phase" of the lodging economy.

SNARK ALERT - (avert your eyes if sarcasm annoys you) I was fascinated by the news reports showing families, just paying the $75 nightly add on fees, commenting, "Well, what can you do?"    Due diligence and research is one thing that comes to mind.

Once again highlighting the value of Insiders - similar to skiadcock's superbly administered MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums, we should share among ourselves properties that add fees that are new to us, that's if we not too busy collecting our Early Check In Fee Badge .  

This snarkiness was brought about by Marriott apparently, again, changing the Insider format. When I log in, I now see ALL recent content (to include the dreaded, pipeline clogging reviews). As we need Insider info more and more, it seems to me Marriott makes it less and less user friendly.  So nothing against excited badge collectors (even my dear pal vaboywnder is all jazzed up) - you are the future, I'm the dinosaur - but if collecting 25 points rocks your boat then this ought to lead to a change in underwear Refer a Friend Bonus Points, Marriott Rewards Refer a Friend

A good day to all, I'm off to call future hotels to see how much they want to charge (on top of my tip) for storing my bags, since I can't afford the early check in fee .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc, I love your sarcasm.  Though you are correct, people should do their due diligence.  You should start writing a bog full of sarcasm!  Actually, your little "rants" remind me of yet another travel blog that you might like. 

http://hackmytrip.com/

That blog has a segment called the Devil's Advocate.  http://hackmytrip.com/author/jmkheel/  You'll notice the Devil's Advocate recently attacked (out of fun) One Mile at a Time

But yes, I've noticed those resort fees popping up more and more... First it was the Waikiki Beach Marriott, I had one at the Wailea Beach Marriott, and the JW Marriott Ihilani recently adopted one.  And the benefits?  Depends.  It ranges from parking and internet access, to 2 "complimentary" drinks and jewelry cleaning... I nearly never use the benefits, not to mention that things like the internet access are free for Gold & Plats... And the fees are steep!  $25-$30/day plus tax!!

But that's right, that's why Insiders is important!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Good reading and I for one will NOT be sending my Platinum arrival gift ahead to the hotel as I don't want the $25 charge for the hotel to receive and hold the gift for me.  WOW, what's next.......oh wait a minute I don't really want to know.

IAHFLYR, no kidding!  In ways, don't you think hotels are getting worst than airlines?  Thankfully haven't encountered that ridiculous charge yet, but we'll see...

What's next?  Well, Mr. O'Leary of Ryanair want to charge passengers 1 GBP to use the loo onboard his flights?  If that happens, perhaps hotels will start charging us for toilet paper? 

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

I often stay at the Andaz in London since there's no affordable Marriott brand close to where I work in the "City".  (Threadneedles is often more than $600 per night).

I definitely appreciate the free soft drinks in the minibar.   All I typically take is a couple of sparkling waters.

I do find it a bug bear in hotels being offred a $6 bottle of Evian especially when the local water is non-potable.   From an EL perspective, I'm not sure why Marriott don't offer some smaller cheaper waters available to go.   I understand that Marriott don't want to offer a free supermarket to the less scrupulous among us but I do feel like I'm being nickel and dimed when the only glass size available is thimble and the only bottle size available is 1.5 liter in heavy glass. 

On the flip side, I do appreciate the free internet.   Perhaps moving forward Marriott, internationally, could partner up with local wifi hot-spot providers.   I know that one of my biggest painpoints being an international traveller is extortionate data roaming charges resulting in a near constant search for wifi hotspots on the go.   I would happily pay for this service if it offered easy sign-up and billing to my hotel account.

oxymoronic,

I know what you mean!  I can't believe how much hotels charge for simple things like bottled water.  You'd think that for at least Elites, bottled water would be a free perk, especially in those areas with non-potable water.  Especially since CL's normally have free bottled water, though some like the one at the Berlin Marriott, don't let you remove them from the CL. 

Marriott has begun to nickel and dime with internet too though.  Now they've been rolling out tiered internet access plans.  While Gold & Plats get "premium tier" internet access free, silvers and non-elites have to pay ridiculous prices for such access... often in excess of $30/day.  On the other hand, I've heard the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong offers all of its guests free smartphones with unlimited data plans... now that's a perk! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That's just another reason we love Germany!!!   They gave us bottle water at the Kempinski Munich Airport.

That's awesome!  I'd say that was just about the only good thing about Disney's Sequoia Lodge at Disneyland Paris... The free 750ml bottle of water   That's very important to me when traveling, as I'm spoiled by Hawaii's great water!  Though, oddly the water in the hotels have a chlorine taste... So even then I end up drinking bottled water...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...