8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2014 9:28 AM by fschumpert RSS

Platinum Status & Upgrades

bamboo Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello to all !  I'm new to this forum and just wanted to share our recent experience staying at the Ritz and JW Marriott.

I'm a platinum member and this is our third time staying at the Laguna Nigel Ritz Carlton.  We love this property!!!  Upon check in, we were upgraded to an ocean front room.  The view is fantastic!  A couple of hours later, a box of handmade chocolate was delivered to our room.  It was so beautiful that I didn't really want to eat it, but my kids had no problem devouring them! The members of the ladies and gentlemen at the Club level were the best I've ever experienced.  On day two, I was have a coughing fit and they send me a pot of sliced ginger, mixed with honey and hot water to my room.  We will definitely return next year!!

The second leg of our journey took us to Santa Monica, CA.  Our stay at the JW was good, but overshadowed by the Ritz.  We were again, upgraded to a room with a side view of the beach, without asking.  Breakfast coupons were offered.  All and all, a wonderful experience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Status & Upgrades
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Welcome bamboo!  I am fairly new to this forum but find it entertaining and helpful!  Get involved and share your wealth of knowledge ... you have to have it to be a platinum member!

I would like to know anything you can share about the JW in Santa Monica.  We are headed there for three nights this weekend.  Any restaurant suggestions, things to do, etc.?

Glad you have seen upgrades.  I find that  it is a mixed bag between the members and their experiences.  I'm hoping for an upgrade this weekend ....

Happy Travels!

Kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Kim,

Thank you for the warm welcome!  In regards to the JW in Santa Monica, there's a lot to do walking distance.  We love 3rd Street Promenade.  Lots of upscale shops and restaurants.  Our all time favorite restaurant is Hikari Sake House on 4th and Santa Monica.  It's nothing fancy, but the sushi is excellent (I won't eat it, but everyone else in my family does, LOL!), but they also have cooked food, thank goodness!    We also like Hillstone, which is on 202 Wilshire, and Thai Dishes - 123 Broadway.  I know the pier is a huge attraction, but I don't like the energy there, maybe because it gets really crowded??  If you enjoy museum, the Getty Center is really beautiful, but you have to drive.  We drove there, but my kids (7 and 11) didn't really appreciate the arts, felt bored.  We left the center and headed to the coast and ate at Paradise Cove Beach Cafe.  That was great!

We also drove to Marina del Rey and rented a boat for a couple of hours.  I would make reservation, if you plan to go on the weekend.  It was fun buzzing around.  You'll sea lions.

One thing I do want to mention is: the JW offered the breakfast coupons, but it takes a little effort to get the actual paper in hand.  They print them at night, we were told it will be under our door in the morning, but it wasn't.  There's no lounge at the JW.  If you travel with kids, the restaurant let the kids have the full buffet, which was really nice, while we did the continental.

Also, the signage of the JW is not too visible, you won't see it until after you've passed it.  The JW  is right next to the Loews Hotel.  The driveway is actually right after the traffic night (I hope this helps).  We drove passed it, twice!! 

The room we were in were newly renovated, but the bathroom were not.  I used points for my stay, so I really have nothing to complaint about .

Have fun and enjoy your stay!!

Aimee

H2O_U_Up_2? Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with you on the Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Nigel.  Sounds like they really took care of you!  I was there earlier this year for a wedding and it was beyond awesome, although I didn't get an upgrade.  My mother has never left the state of Michigan and this was her first trip (she's 63!).  She has only seen Ritz-Carlton on movies and she was overwhelmed by the service.  On her second night they upgraded her to the ocean side suite.  All was amazing.

Never been to the JW in Santa Monica, but the one in Indianapolis is top noch, as is the one in New York - Essex House.

ENJOY!

Yes, they went above and beyond!  My kids calls one of the Club Level Concierge their aunt and referenced her all the time, LOL!  I'm so glad your mother was able to see and stay at the beautiful Laguna Niguel Ritz.  It's better late than never! 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

That Ritz, may not only be one of the finest in The Marriott system, it is one of the premier properties in The US!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi bamboo,

Welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders community!

As you have done here, this site is an excellent place share travel experiences, request recommendations or insights, ask questions and engage with a large network of well-versed travelers. From photos to tips about different regions and properties, as well as perspectives on many aspects of the Marriott Rewards program, this forum is a wonderful place.

I would encourage you to check out our Getting Started Guide while you explore the site; it contains information and tips for using the page that I think you'll find useful.

I'm happy to hear you had just a great time on your trip and thanks for sharing your experience on Insiders!

Also, don't hesitate to reach out to me (NathalieF), The specified item was not found., KatieC or lindseyh with any other questions or concerns.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

bamboo - Welcome to MRI, the mostly, inconspicuous  group of folks with misnomer ID's, who love telling others about respective travel experiences, along with a few other, occasional "sidebars".

I haven't stayed at JW in Santa Monica, but used to love to eat at a cafe in Marina del Rey many "moons" ago, and will be camping out at the Marriott in Newport Beach in late October while on business in the area.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...