3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2014 3:40 PM by brightlybob RSS

SPG Offers a Lifetime Status

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I believe there are posts at MRI often citing that MR had the only LT-status program among major hotel chains, but I guess this has all chagned now. LOOKOUT Marriott - others are following suit and surpassing your efforts. Qualifications are simple as pasted here:

Introducing SPG Lifetime Platinum! The best things in life – for life. Never go below Platinum membership level when you achieve 500 eligible nights total and any 10 years of Platinum SPG status.

My favorite item with SPG is their guaranteed suites on points (I just could not resist ) :

Suite Night Awards (50 Eligible Nights). A Platinum Preferred Guest who has 50 Eligible Nights in a Qualifying Period is eligible to receive 10 Suite Night Awards. "Suite Night Awards" may be redeemed for advance confirmable upgrades for select, premium rooms or standard suites on a per room, per night basis, subject to availability.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: SPG Offers a Lifetime Status
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This is by no means new. I think SPG have offered LT for a few years  now, though I think Marriott was the first when it set the levels at 800 nights & 2mill points for LTGold and 1000 nights & 3mill points for LTPlat.

When SPG launched their scheme it was, and still is, based on nights, primarily linking the qualification for LTPlat to 10 years membership, hence the 500 night requirement. I think Marriott followed that idea when they reduced the nights element of their LT scheme. The problem with SPG is that it's point accumulation is so slow compared to Marriott, and necessitates spending so much more per award night.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

brightlybob - my conversations with Marriott points program for "Lifetime Platinum" status is 750 nights' stays and 2M points, which are accrued via credit card purchases - not just at Marriott locations -  and not published in any report. My experience is that you have to call Marriott to find out your particular status. After you reach the LTP status, you will always retain this level even though you don't stay the minimum 75 nights/year normally necessary for yearly "Platinum" status.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, my post was short on detail, more a reply to my "nothing new" point.

MR Lifetime requirements following the changes last year are now:

Silver 250 nights and 1.2mill points

Gold 500 nights and 1.6mill points

Plat 750 nights and 2mill points

The points requirement includes ALL points however credited including hotel stays, bonuses, offers (ie 1000 bonus points for eating in restaurant), credit cards, and even purchased and transferred points from airline schemes, though I remember reading something that these only counted once they'd been redeemed, dunno how true that is.

However the only way anyone is going to achieve LT status at either Marriott or SPG is by staying, hence the night requirement and my comment about the poor point accumulation with SPG...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...