26 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2014 8:00 AM by iahflyr RSS

Who got to Italy first? Me or IAHFLYR?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I landed at Naples airport at 7:00pm and got to the Sorrento hotel (which has a magnificent view over its 5 pools, Vesuvius, the Bay of Naples, etc.  Waiting for me was a bottle of prosecco and a large local fruit bowl.

I bet IAHFLYR beat me because I don't think he and the Mrs. had an 8-hr layover. 

I think I will sleep well tonight...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who got to Italy first? Me or IAHFLYR?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ProfChiara,

Keep us informed of how it goes!

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

That sounds absolutely wonderful, ProfChiara.  So jealous.  There is the most amazing restaurant in Sorrento... Parrucchiano.  I would meet you there in a flash.

Parrucchiano Sorrento Restaurant Ristorante Sorrento Locale Storico d'Italia

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

ProfChiara - Buon Viaggo!

Meanwhile, the somewhat, envious,  "working class" is still laboring to pay taxes here in USA, wishing we had a bottle of prosecco and some of that fine Italian cheese!

Here's one to you, fschumpert!  I think I got bumped up multiple 'classes' thanks to college and grad school.  I think I wrote it on MRI last weekend but my aunt in Florida (one of my few remaining relatives) asked me if I ever in the world imagined I'd be doing things like this.  Short answer was a simple no.  I was born into a certain class (lower middle, no college in the family), and was expected to end up using that obnoxious phrase 'barefoot and pregnant'.  I can deal well with the barefoot part, but not the pregnancy and never the marriages.  Although I did get married to get out of the family home (an only child no less) and stayed that way till 24, a scholarship to Wellesley made all the difference.  I still thought I'd be living vicariously in books! And now I get to write some.  To quote my aunt again, who woulda thunk it?

PS -- From my balcony I am looking across the bay right at Mt. Vesuvius.  Two volcanoes in my past two trips (way cool, as long as Bardarbunga doesn't erupt and make it three.)

Prof - just in case one of the volcanoes erupt while there, make sure you've got some identification on you so that when the archaeologists dig through the rubble in a few years they'll be able to easily identify you (kinda morbid thought)

I'll be sure to have my college ID from Maine in my wallet so that will confuse them a bit.  (I have a morbid -- and funny -- sense of humor, thought I sometimes have to explain what I meant -- especially with first year students.) I had forgotten Vesuvius (like Santorini) was active.  For some reason I thought it was Etna.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I did the Etna climb.  It is very sulfurous up there!  lol

We did Stromboli from the ship at night while it was active.  I loved to hear everyone cheer when there was an especially spectacular eruption.  My husband will never make it as a photographer.  He took a picture of me with Stromboli behind me and it looks like I am wearing a hat. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof,

The one (wonderful) time that I visited Sorrento, it was on the tail end of a whirlwind horse race from the north of France through the south of Italy.  By the time we arrived Sorrento, we were exhausted and were really looking forward to some "down" time.  The area was everything we had hoped it would be:  real Italians not unwilling to embrace foreigners with warm hospitality, lovely small piazzas and narrow shopping lanes filled with stores offering the finest in Italian craftsmanship, fabulous food including seafood pastas, yummy gelato and limoncello (swimming in Limoncello ), seaside cliffs and beaches, churches and architecture and lovely, LOVELY Capri.  It was for us, a superb way to end our European vacation.  I long to return, and will not do so without paying my respects to the ruins at Paestum.  So glad you had a pleasant trip, all told, and a pox on the woman sitting in front of you on the return AF 747 (may I recommend the A380 next time.)

disclosure: I have never been to Greece, so cannot compare it to the southern coast of Italy.  Your Greek Island photos are stupendous.

pluto77 - Planning trip to southern Italy later this year and trying to determine whether to stay at Marriott in Naples, or another hotel in Sorrento; if so, any recommendations? Also wondering about going over to Capri for at least one night. Do you know if ferry operates year round? Suppose so.

Fred,

The state run ferry operates between Sorrento and Capri year round, though I believe there may be different schedules in the off-season.  Campania Regionale Marittima  There are also private ferries too, which I believe operate on a less solid basis.

Not knowing what your hotel preferences are, plus having only ever stayed at the one hotel in Sorrento, Hotel Savoia just up from the main Piazza in town, it is all that I can recommend.  It is a small, family run business.  Not fancy, but breakfast is included and it is clean, functional, very reasonably priced, and the owners are very hospitable as well as helpful.  Hotel Savoia Sorrento hotel in Sorrento center close to port, beach and the train station

Sorry, this is all I can offer.  Perhaps profchiara can provide a recommendation and/or information on the property she most recently stayed at (with the 5 cascading pools, most impressive!).

We saw some nice lodging properties when we visited Capri, and I recall thinking that if I was fortunate to return one day that I would love to spend a couple of nights on the island, but I do not have any lodging information.

I have not stayed in Naples.

Hi fschumpert,

Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Sorrento (because of the lack of historical things to do), once I made up my mind to mangiare, bere e nuotare I was plenty happy.  For the historical stuff, I would've been better off in Naples; for swimming, definitely Sorrento.

I highly recommend the Grand Hotel Capodimonte (I have written tripadvisor reviews as ProfT) in Sorrento, which is a short walk out on via Capo from the town.  I can also recommend some fabulous restaurants including one in the hotel.

When are you going?  I suspect Capri could be a little like Venice. My only visit there was in the summer, and it was inundated with people - mostly shoppers.  From Sorrento, though, you can take a cruise tour that goes around the island, which I thought would have been very cool -- except I wasn't there the day it was offered.

I'm attaching some pics of the Grand Hotel Capodimonte (it has a sister hotel in Naples, so be careful if you book), especially of the cascading pools. I'm lounging in one with Vesuvius across the bay.IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2841.jpgIMG_2725.jpgsorrento view.jpg

Thanks pluto77 and profchiara for your reports. I'm planning trip in mid November but haven't made any reservations yet. Considering flying into Naples and either staying at Marriott (Renaissance) or Savoi, or Capodimonte (as prof recommended), but while pools are not my interest the ones here are definitely pretty. Don't suppose  that's you in the infinity-type pool?

I think we'll stay in Sorrento area for a couple of days, as never been there,  then head over to Capri for at least a night, then back to Naples for train to Rome. Is Pompeii, or Vesuvius, worth the time to visit?

I think I was at a moment of complete frustration when I said I should have stayed in Naples. It's true that there would have been more historical things to do, but Naples just don't not appeal to me.  I think IAHFLYR would agree.

OK, will just use as point of entry/departure

Good God, I have just looked at my spelling and grammatical errors in recent posts, and I can no longer even blame it on jet lag or the Evil Woman.  It may be age, but I think it's electronic media.  I know for certain when I read kindle books that I don't retain nearly as much as I do when I read paper books.  We're having a big to-do at our college about what constitutes a library right now.

But no excuses for my horrible grammar and spelling -- I hope you will accept the excuse of being tired!

If you do, contact Paola at Guemar Travel.  It's the least expensive and best service from Naples airport to Sorrento (85 euros, which for at least an hour's drive is not bad).  If you arrive early in the day you can take the Circumvesuviana, but that will still entail transportation to downtown Naples and to the right train station, then when you arrive in Sorrento, the taxis have a horrid reputation of charging you at least 20 euros from the train station to any hotel.  (I never used taxis in Sorrento; I walked in the city and used Guemar for airport transfers and the Amalfi coast.)

If your joints are healthy, do Capri, and try to get to the Roman ruins way up top.  Otherwise the 'city' of Capri is a high-end shopping market.  I never made it to Anacapri, but did do the Blu Grotto (overrated in my opinion).  While it's beautiful, the wait is about 20-30 minutes, it's expensive, and the whole thing is over in about two minutes.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Oh yes Prof, I would certainly agree with not staying in Naples.

Fred, I enthusiastically recommend a visit to Pompeii.

Prof, Iove your photos, esp you in the pool with Vesuvius in the background!

I almost forgot, here is a photo album of Pompeii (though wish the photos were better.)

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1206

profchiara,

Sorry for the last arrival to the thread.  You are correct, we only had a 3 hour layover in FRA and spent it all in the amazing LH Senator Club.  WOW, what a place to enjoy while on a stop-over and boy do they put U.S. airlines to shame with their food offering in this lounge, even the slightly less amenity offering LH Business Lounge makes the U.S. Lounges appear quite sad.  But more on the lounges we encountered on our trip on a soon to be released blog early next week.

So for our arrival in Milano, we arrived there at 1:30 PM, got our little Fiat and headed off to Bellagio arriving at Hotel Metropole and were sitting on our terrace at 4 PM.

P1020535.JPG

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Looking forward to your full trip review, IAHFLYR, but - at the risk of going off topic - since you mentioned the LH lounge in Frankfurt (there's actually a number of them), I concede that I'm a fan, but - on our layover coming back from Italy, we experienced something (awesome) in the lounge we hadn't seen before (in an airport lounge).  At one point, the lounge staff came out and started making custom mix-your-own frozen yogurts - kind of like Yogen Fruz, with a wide variety of mix-ins, including fruits and sweets.  Much fun!

Yes there are and in MUC they have matching lounges (Senator/Business) on both G and H levels which makes it nice when traveling to the U.S. as they leave from the H level.  More to come next week ssindc, the golf course is calling!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...