13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2014 4:40 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Western Movies, anything better 'Than Rio Bravo"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickenson, Walter Brenan?

How many times can you enjoy watching this great Western?

What is your favorite!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arizona, USA
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ottawa Marriott Hotel
Round Top, New York, USA
  • Re: Western Movies, anything better 'Than Rio Bravo"?
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

RIo Bravo is a nice choice and while I am a fan if I had only one to watch it would have to be The Searchers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack,

Thats another wonderful movie!

If one ever wants to get a conversation going with "Strangers", ask what there favorite "Western Movie" is, the choices are wonderful!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

jerrycoin

I agree with your choice of "Rio Bravo" and I have never tired of watching it.  I first viewed the film at a drive-in movie theater when it was first released.  Walter Brennan did an excellent job as "Stumpy".   

gm1,

Walter Brennan won two Oscars, (I think), and put a rock in his shoe thru his acting career, which gave him the "Limp"!  He was really special as the "Father" in Sgt. York with Gary Cooper!

Likewise, I always thought that Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson singing together was so special!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

jerrycoin - Most of you folks are probably too young to remember - or have ever heard of it - but for my book, "High Noon" with Gary Cooper ranks as one of all-time best, suspense-westerns!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

jerrycoin All the films named so far are terrific, but I'd have to vote for another John Ford/John Wayne classic, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. "This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Was lucky enough to meet one of the stars in another wonderful Western.  "The Unforgiven", and this guy played "Curly", a ruthless sheriff, but in person was a wonderful, humble, and friendly guy.  Gene Hackman!

Scan10001.JPG

He was filming a movie I never saw called "Hoosier's, it was a lot of fun to chat.  He is from Danville, Il!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Anything with John Wayne in it is enjoyable for me.  When I envision him though, it's always with that eye patch on!

Sledchick,

He got his "Academy Award" for his "Rooster C." performance!

BTW, have you been traveling?  Getting ready for a NH Fall?  Would I love to be there in another month!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

We spent five nights in Ottawa two weeks ago which was very nice (except for all the rain).  We really enjoyed the Royal Mint and I thought of you when I held that gold bar!  My son was taken with the idea of getting some limited edition coins, so we treated him to a few.  You would be proud of his budding interest!

In July we spent five nights at a little golf resort in the Catskills.  Don't laugh, but it's one of my favorite places on earth.  Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club is family owned and a lovely place to be in the summer.  We are treated like family there (well, better than family really).  So many nice places within driving distance, and one of my favorite restaurants is in that area -- Messina's in Windham, NY.  The golf course is the most beautiful and challenging that I have ever played.  6 days in a row on that course was still not enough for me.  There are no Marriotts close by there but it's a quick drive from the state capital of Albany.  The Catskills had their hey-day, but it is being re-invented and is due for a come-back.  It's still gorgeous country there.  For me, it's nice to go somewhere to unwind like that without all the craziness of other "resort" type of atmospheres (think Disney).  It's just good for my soul.  Maybe I'll do a write-up somewhere on this site because I'd love to share what this sometimes-forgotten part of the country has going for it.

You and Mrs. Coin have been having some adventures this summer I see!  Believe it or not, foliage season has started here in in NH.  It wasn't a typical summer so there are more colors in the leafy trees showing up earlier.  Will you two be heading out this way any time soon?  Maybe after London?  And I've digressed from our topic of Westerns -- sorry!

Location Brand Hotel
        Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ottawa Marriott Hotel
        Round Top, New York, USA

Sledchick,

Sounds like you have had a wonderful Summer!

The Catskill's sound very nice, and the trip to Ottawa had to be wonderful!  That is one of the most relaxing places to visit.  One can walk so easily to so much!  Glad your RCM experience was a good one!

Next time you go North, visit Littleton!  Littleton Coin is the largest employer in NH, and a wonderful place to visit.  They will enjoy having your Son and you all visiting!  There is a wonderful diner, The Littleton Diner, and The Littleton Inn, is a neat little place to stay!

Sledchick,  you will need to take the family to The National Cowboy Museum in OK, City, someday!  It's a special place for Western Movie fans!

IMG_3905.jpg

Thanks for sharing your stories!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...