3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2014 3:06 PM by profchiara RSS

Dining alone?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Good idea for the road warriors?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londons-dinealone-restaurant--where-splitting-the-bill-isnt-an-option-9682880.html

has anyone visited these restaurants in Amsterdam or NY?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: Dining alone?
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Interesting idea!  Since I travel weekly for business, finding a place like this would be appreciated.  I'll have to look up the one in NY.  Only thing, I never make it to Manhattan.  I spend my time in Brooklyn and have no desire to head over.

I will say though after several years of traveling, I have come to terms with eating alone and being okay with it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg1974,

Great information and concept!

I would like to share with you that traveling alone is never fun for me, and especially if one is alone in Paris.  I found the perfect place to dine alone in the lounge at Cafe de le Paix, next to The Opera.  Wonderful food, great atmosphere and you can sit discreetly alone.

IMG_1103.JPG

It's in the Grand Hotel, and is a superb place to dine!

Location Brand Hotel
    Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'm probably the opposite of 95% of people who post on MRI, but I almost NEVER dine WITH someone.  This will sound either agoraphobic or narcissistic, but I like being alone -- I love doing what I want when I want.  For meals, that can mean not only enjoying a fabulous meal (hopefully) but also people watching.  If you know a couple of languages, it gets even better in Europe because you can listen in.

One of my two remaining relatives, an aunt in Florida, asked me yesterday if I was amazed at the places I've been in my life and the things I've done all things considered.  (We can leave the all things considered aside except that I could never have imagined I would have traveled the world -- on my own, no less -- one didn't do those things as a woman when I was growing up. Or at least people of my social class didn't.)  It was an extraordinary question.  I came back to the usual answers -- parents who hated each other, a great public school, living in books (most of which were European or Russian), but I still would never have imagined I could be where I am now -- and where I go.

That's why I'm relishing every moment and trying to put off retirement as long as possible.  Every moment to me is an indication that I could and I did.  And every meal alone -- where I feel comfortable without a book or a newspaper [sometimes offered] -- I am so, so happy.  I feel like I've grown into who I was meant to be, yet there couldn't have been any expectation of it when I was in high school.  My aunt asks perceptive questions!

Never hesitate to eat alone as a woman!  It's easier if you start with nice lunches, but I've gotten to the point where even in the Middle East I eat alone (with wine no less).

Cheers, ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...