6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2014 12:55 PM by iahflyr RSS

Holding flights

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

British Airways introduces £5 holding fee on flights - Telegraph

do other airlines offer this online?

would you pay to hold your flights?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Holding flights
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

UA has had a similar program for quite a few years called Fare Lock, but we've never used it to hold tickets.

Reserve Tickets | Pay Later with FareLock | United Airlines

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jlabove Gold 3 Reviews

Yes, FareLock still exists on most United fares. As well, you can usually hold a United fare for 3 days by going through the purchase steps and selecting "Pay with Cash". Unlike FareLock, this option is free, but usually much shorter term.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I would since change fees are 150-200

jlabove Gold 3 Reviews

Yes, though United elites--and I'm assuming a good number of Marriott elites are taking advantage of RewardsPlus--would benefit from some latitude there, such as waved same day change fees and standby fees. Still a ticketing change later costs $250.

A whole other conversation could be had on flexible fares and travel insurance, but suffice to say the $7-9 for FareLock is still worthwhile in this environment.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Don't  just love the change fees.  My assistant recently changed one of my flights on which I had a very low fare($100).  Instead of canceling and eating the ticket she made a "change".  We paid the change fee of $250 to get the credit of $100 to apply to the new ticket.   I paid $150 more than the published fare due to this process.  if the airlines want to keep the change fee ( and I understand why they would want to apply them to restricted fares), why not implement a policy of clearly informing the customer that they should cancel and not change any ticket that is less than the fee?  Good customer service and they still make money on the cancelled restricted fare.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Oh don't start on the Rewards Plus thing again!!!!   I'd bet there are far more UA Premiers taking advantage of the instant Gold Marriott status and filling up our CL than the other way around.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...