5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2014 12:46 PM by platbrad RSS

No city view in New York with points???

BrowneHounds Gold 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I really hope that I am just not seeing the right thing to click...

I have been saving points and will continue to save points for a turning 50 birthday trip to New York City.  This is a big deal for hubbie and I and I want to make it spectacular.  I am a public school teacher (going during Spring Break), so money is tight.  We earn the bulk of our points through my husband's traveling and with the Marriott credit card.

I am beyond dismayed to find that the main Times Square hotels (Marquis, the two Courtyards, Residence Inn) do not allow someone paying  with points to book a city view.  We will pay with an enormous amount of points - but no view.   That's like staying in an outhouse on a mountain resort.  I wrote the Marquis to see if I paid with a combination of points and cash....THEN could I get the view/better room?  No. 

There really ought to be a way to allow folks to pay more points to get a better room at one of the properties.

Other than paying cash for the rooms (really not an option) and being super nice to the front desk...any suggestions?  We are staying four nights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No city view in New York with points???
    Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Unfortunately that's not uncommon. I suggest calling when you make the reservations and ask for a note to be added to your reservation. Then when you arrive ask again. When we stayed there over Christmas one year we used points and when I asked, I got an upgrade.

Enjoy your trip and Happy Birthday a little early!!!

kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

We stayed at Renaissance in Times Square on points week of Memorial Day.  City was packed but we got a view.  And believe me, you'll get lots of view by just stepping outside!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, BrowneHounds. Totally understandable that you'd want a room with a fantastic view on your birthday! I'm sure your time in the Big Apple will be spectacular though! That sounds like a blast!

Happy Birthday!

jhauge Platinum

I am finding this to be more and more of a trend at Marriott.  Always seem to get the same excuse, all rooms are filled.  Sure seems strange that all rooms are filled when the parking lot is only half filled. Upgrades for platinum elites are becoming a thing of the past.  I will achieve life time status this year and I guess maybe I will have to try another motel property like the Hilton.  Sorry Marriott!!!!  

platbrad Platinum

And it's not just view rooms that we are seeing less of unfortunately.  Even during slow weeks like the week before Thanksgiving, bed choices have also become limited when using points.  Why on earth would Marriott not allow us to use points for a King room when they are obviously available???  And not only in New York did I see this, but most of the hotels in Seattle as well!  Has Marriott become the "Priceline" of points?  Using Platinum members to fill unsold rooms and save the best rooms for non-Platinum members?  So much for decades of loyalty.  Not sure about Hilton jhauge, but I'm already using my Hyatt points where I use less than 1/2 the points for a comparable room that I would get with Marriott.  Hopefully Marriott wakes up and finds ways of rewarding Platinum members rather than treating them like second class patrons.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...