13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 3:51 PM by trippin' RSS

What are the basics you want in a hotel room?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There's a wonderful daily site called Travel Skills.  Today is all about the things many of us really want in a hotela

http://travelskills.com/2014/08/14/little-things-hotels-get-right/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What are the basics you want in a hotel room?
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

profchiara - I would assume you travel enough to have a reasonably good idea of what you desire in a hotel. For me, it varies:

1) might be location (nearness to business I need to do in a particular area), or near airport for early AM departure

2) cost comparison is important, but since I choose to primarily use Marriott I can select from a number of brands

3) if my wife is traveling with me on business, I try to choose location near shopping mall,or other attractions for her

to use while I'm out on business

4) I list my hotel preferences (my profile) on Marriott site, which helps me narrow choices - for instance, "no smoking",

"high floor", "not near elevator", etc.

5) whether the hotel offers free breakfast, concierge floor,or lounge

6) cost - if any - for parking

7) length of stay might dictate whether I book at regular hotel, or extended stay facility, such as Residence Inn

8) type beds available - king, queen, suite, etc.

9) previous experience - if it's been unsuitable, I seldom return to this particular hotel

10) hotel courtesy (front desk at check in, concierge room, etc.)

11) cleanliness of room - you can't be too careful these days, as some of the best hotels have had problems with

bedbugs, but generally, the higher-priced hotels, are not as much a risk

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

profchiara

At this stage in our travel lives/careers, we pretty much have a 'feel' for exactly what we want. Like coaching third base (or being a television technical advisor, in your case) we have accumulated knowledge over the years of stays and make the decision using a mental laundry list criteria like fred's above, customized to the specific trip/activity. This is what draws me to and keeps me at Marriott for so many decades.

To Marriott's credit, within a pretty accurate range (yes, always exceptions outside the bell shaped curve) you know what you are going to get with each specific brand and therefore can much more quickly decide among all the factors (that's why all their tinkering with Marriott.com that do not enhance the reservation process, can become irritating). When I venture off to TravelZoo, hotel.com, Hilton, etc., I am faced with an uncomfortable learning curve and a cognitive dissonance even after making my decision. I really don't know the outcome until after the stay, but then, if successful, like your recent experiences, log it in the memory bank as a 'return' option.

Thanks for sharing the site, it's pretty interesting (and relatively new, so may grow in value over time). One of the other articles was about an Airbnb stay which was insightful. Once again, I'm calling out to all millennials and early adapters, please share any Airbnb experiences and help us travel dinosaurs/late adapters overcome the 'new thing' fear factor.

C'mon millennials, dive in, and

give us the scoop

Thanks one and all. Keep on keepin' on.

Hi erc,

I too have developed a feel for what I want, which is different (except for the basics) for most of the places I go.  I am willing to spend hours on tripadvisor (then checking against actual hotel sites and other reviews) to find the perfect hotel to meet my expectations.  That's how I found the Pesaro Palace in Venice, and the upcoming Grand Hotel Capodimonte in Sorrento.  Imerovigli on Santorini was the hardest because there are so many hotels that it's hard to differentiate.  But the one I chose was absolutely perfect.  One thing I look for more and more is a pool because especially after either intense walking at archaeological sites or intense sitting in archives, swimming really eases my arthritis.

The other thing I always want is a bathtub and enough plugs that don't require other electrical items to be unplugged.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

We have used Airbnb for a couple of years now. The first time was a trip to London and the flats we rented to excellent. One was across the street from Hyde Park and was over the top fabulous. We have rented apartments in NYC, a house in Niagara-on-the-lake in Canada and most recently for our trip to Italy. Each experience was positive and I would not hesitate to use their services again and again. Much like anything you have to do your homework and research but a wonderful experience overall.

erc Platinum

Guidedog613

Now we're talkin' turkey tom! You really are a guidedog (I had a great day in Morristown touring the seeing eye dog school - fantastic). That's excellent input and very encouraging (see sg1974, don't be a wuss - give it a go ).

I'm getting close to taking the leap. Thanks for sharing.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Prof,

Thanks for posting the link to this site, I think there is good information to be had as I get time to wander through the place.

After enough traveling for both business/pleasure we know some of the little things we like in a hotel room as well as the checklist of things like location and pricing that vary from trip to trip.  While some basics should go without saying like a clean fresh room with everything in good working order, some of those little basic things we desire:

• Thermostat that one can operate without a mechanics license
    • Bright airy room
    • Extra towels in room preferences means more than two bath towels
    • More than one regular and one decaffeinated java pouch
    • No powdered creamers
    • Minimum of six-eight cream and sugar offerings
    • Alarm clocks that you can actually dim the numbers rather than have to unplug to darken the room at night
    • Bathroom wall plug that is near the mirror rather than needing to use an extension cord
    • Curtains that actually close all the way for sleeping

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks profchiara for sharing the article! TravelSkills is a new site to me - I just spent about 20 minutes poking around; there are some interesting articles on there! Bookmarked for later use.

Thanks fschumpert and erc for your thoughts too. I've looked into Airbnb but haven't actually booked anything off of it. I have tried a VRBO before when traveling with a larger group for leisure travel - they've been around a little longer than Airbnb but they but haven't had all the publicity Airbnb has, meaning that they'll more likely have the availability you are looking for. It was a great option for us!

Has anyone considered or looked into an Airbnb or VRBO when traveling for business?

Travel Skills is great!  I end up reading one or more of the articles most every day.  I forget how it arrived in my inbox one day (but then we all know that google and amazon know more about us than we know about ourselves ).

erc Platinum

First off, tip of the cap to Nathalie , the new, but very talented (I was impressed by your response to 8787; "If you happen to opt-in mid-stay, you will start earning on your next stay" - a polished, and effective way to say No) NathalieF  for not only permitting, but engaging in all forms of travel discussion, even outside the Marriott option - thanks, that's the way an industry leader remains the industry leader.

Second, yes, I'm a big fan of VRBO when traveling with what I call the 'gaggle' (although MVC is also a great option, but at only in the sixties of # of props, geography is a determining factor as well). Believe it or not, I go way back with VRBO, when it was even a bit dicey (weren't into credit cards yet). If the young turks of the forum let me down and don't sample Airbnb, I might just have to drag these bones out of the La-Z-Boy and take a chance on my own.

No real savings (but those are near extinct in lodging nowadays anyway ). But so far, I've had excellent results with securing 3-5 bedroom places, both beach and city. They have gotten better each year in their descriptions, payment system, and landlord/tenant interaction and knock on wood, I've had nothing but terrific outcomes. Doing the proper due diligence that Insiders would do for most any of their vacations, this is a great go to option when there isn't a Marriott (using one this summer for a 'destination wedding' ) or the group size requires significant space.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We've rented vacation homes many times and with a bit of searching have had some incredible places.  Most often we return to the beach house on the Oregon Coast which is kept up like you would your own home.  Wonderful rates and I highly recommend taking the time to search these spots out and follow on with the reviews.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

When I was travelling for business, I had one basic requirement.  That the quality of the bedroom and bathroom facilities was as good as I had at home.  Everything else I could deal with.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

My typical requirements/preferences:

1. Open and bright room
    2. Upper/High floor
    3. Safe area
    4. Quiet/sound proof
    5. Clean and fresh

I try not to be high maintenance when I travel but being a woman and travel alone most of the time (for business) security and my comfort is top of the list.  I know it makes my husband more happier as well while I am on the road.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

I'm not a frequent business traveler like many of you, but am blessed to travel more than a lot of my friends and family.

I prefer:

High floors

Concierge lounge if applicable

CLEAN room and bed cover/duvet.

Extra towels

Free UPGRADES!  (Thank you Marriott Waikiki!)

I don't prefer: (not that you asked)

Smarmy front desk people

Waiting an hour for room service

Loud rude people laughing and stomping through the hall at 2pm.  (Okay, I probably was one of them in my lifetime.)

Mary

Waiting to check in-or check-out for 45 min.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...