11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 3:45 PM by trippin' RSS

What Legacy Are You Leaving Your Children-Grandchildren?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This question doesn't necessarily have apply to travel experiences, but perhaps one worthy of many thoughts and/or suggestions.

More than anything else, family trips to the beach rank at the top of our list of legacy experiences. Without exception, they all enjoy watching past beach-trip videos and photos:

Group Photo 08390001.jpg

Getting together at Christmas time is probably the next most memorable experience for our children and grandchildren; our 9 grandchildren do not think Christmas is the same if they don't come to our house for Christmas day meal, opening presents together, and family photo ('07 below):

Group Photo - '07 Picture 006.jpg

My wife and I have also taken each of our grandchildren on a trip with us to one of their favorite places (below, two of our younger ones in S.Fran.)

Blackberry Photos 00016.jpg

There are many other memorable experiences I could list, such as keeping photo books, videos, but just recently my grandchildren gave me a little book, "Grandpa - His Stories, His Words", and I've been working through my early childhood memories and friends, education, work career, hobbies, etc., recording this for them to one day read.  I think this will be a treat for all when I'm no longer around. Hopefully, this will help my children (all married and with their own families) and grandchildren to appreciate the value of "family".(photo below) My wife continues to compile favorite cooking recipes - as our mothers did - and will leave these to our children to continue this tradition.

I hardly knew my parents' parents, and what little experiences I had with a few of them, I don't recall having too many memories that have influenced my life; I don't want this for our grandchildren! One of the great blessings of "fearing the Lord and walking in His ways" is "Indeed, may you see your children's children." (Psalm 128:1, 6)

Grandpa Book.jpg

What are some of the legacies you're leaving to your children and grandchildren - or others?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What Legacy Are You Leaving Your Children-Grandchildren?
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Wonderful post, fschumpert.  I have often mused about why I didn't ask my Parents and Grandparents more questions about their early lives before and after I and my siblings came into the picture.  What a wasted opportunity.  Completing the Grandpa book is a great idea.  Thanks for your thought-provoking post and family photos.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican - My wife and my parents are all dead and we only have a couple of aunts living, which makes us realize we're sorta alone (save our own children) in the world. Our parents reached ages of late 80's and early 90's so we had long time together with them, and the times we listened to them talk about what life was like during the Depression, WWII, their parents, are fond memories.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Same situation, fschumpert.  However, my father died unexpectedly shortly after he turned 65.  (He had never been sick a day in his life that I could remember.). Over the years I regretted I hadn't spent more time getting his perspective on things.  I'm trying to insure that my children (7) and Grandchildren (11) and perhaps Great Grand Children (0) have access to their PaPa and GMa and ask a lot of questions.  We take many pictures with them and make albums for them.  It's does our hearts good when we catch them looking through their pictures of past vacations (mostly at Marriott Beach Properties).

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thank you for sharing such great and personal memories fschumpert. I too love family trips to the beach, although these days it seems like we can't all get together over the same dates! While I don't have any children of my own, I am still in the mindset of Christmas and Thanksgiving aren't complete without a visit and meal at my grandparents' home. I hope to one day host or plan our family reunions.

Lovely pictures - thanks again for sharing!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I don't have any of either (at least the human type), but my beloved cat is well taken care of in my will!000_0048 copy.JPG

male or female?

She's a girl!  And a true tigress in every respect.  I am her pet.

....got a cat too - "Charlie"- but he hasn't warranted the status of being included in our wills yet.

Charlie.jpg

Charlie's a handsome guy!  Actually, the only reason I have a will (which I made 15 years ago, in my 40s, is because I want to make sure my beloved cat (a different one then) is taken care of with an executor who happens to be my best friend and his wife.  We even have a clause that if I die, then he dies, his wife willingly takes on my little girl.  I also wanted, since I don't have family, to make sure that whatever is left from my retirement accounts and other savings goes to humane societies and feline health organizations.

Cats kept me going during a troubled childhood; they've kept me going ever since, so when I die (I don't have any qualms about talking about stuff like that), I want to make sure cats benefit.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Fred, a tremendous post.  You are a real blessing to your grandchildren, and well done.  LOVE it!  And a beautiful family, too.

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

I hope I've already passed on my love for travel and all things cruising.  However, it is my dream to take our whole family of 3 adult kids and for now, 3 grand babies on a trip or cruise with us.  On a cruise a long time ago my work friend and I sat near a large family in the dining room every day.  The patriarch was so attentive and giving to his family and they were having a wonderful time.  Every night he brandished hundred dollar bills to the adults for the evening/next day to help with expenses.  I want to be that person and include our whole family on a trip or cruise and be that person to help then with the daily costs.  *sigh*  One day!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...