16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 2:01 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Santa Monica & Reagan Library

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

_erigotmerWell, my surprise trip for my husband to the Reagan library keeps changing.  I was going to stay in the Simi Valley area but as I looked around I realized that maybe staying in the Santa Monica area was a better option - more things to do.  We are going the weekend over Labor Day - short trip from Ohio.

With that said, I now have reservations at the JW Marriott LeMerigot (always subject to change).

My questions are:

1. Thoughts on this hotel and getting an upgrade - I am using points, LTP, and Platinum (waiting for Premier ...)
  2. Must see places?
  3. Must eat places?

Saturday will be dedicated to the Library - don't want to rush him.  Leaves Friday afternoon/evening, Saturday evening, Sunday with time to fill.  We fly back on Monday.

What else can I do to make this weekend special.  It's also our 26th wedding anniversary.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Happy Travels!

Kim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Santa Monica, California, USA
Santa Monica, CA, USA
  • Re: Santa Monica & Reagan Library
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Frogs!

Sounds like a wonderful trip!  You will be very pleased at your "Surprise" for your husband.  I would recommend looking up my post on "The Reagan Ranch" and "Santa Barbara" late last year.  I will post some photo's and information for you early this week.

One tip I would like to share with you is "Get to The Reagan Library early", the parking lot fills up fast, and if you have to park on the entrance drive, it is a long walk up the hill to the Library!

More later!  BTW, you may choose to save points, money and time by staying at the very nice RI in Oxnard, CA!  You would have easy access to Santa Barbara, Ventura, Hollywood, etc.  Just a thought!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Thank you jerrycoin!  When I travel with my husband I usually go for the nicer places (if it's reasonable) and use my points freely.  I have 1,000,000 points so using them isn't painful - I hoard points!    Since I am in a FS Marriott every week paid by work I figure I should treat my husband to the same experience since he doesn't travel much.  However, I did consider staying further up the coast with Santa Barbara in mind.  If I remember correctly, you got the invite to the Reagan Ranch for a meal ... any help in gaining the same on Sunday?    That would THRILL my husband to no end!

I will take a look again at your pictures, plus the ones you have already posted.  I am getting so excited to surprising him with this trip!  The visit to the library will be memorable for him for many reasons.  He didn't get to go to DC for Reagan's funeral, this will hopefully make up for that a little (sore point for me personally that he didn't get the experience that he had always hoped for).

Anyway!  Thanks for the advice!  Keep it coming!

Kim

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I was told that one can get invited to the ranch by making a sizable donation.  They did not say what sizable meant.  For the library, check what events are on the day that you plan to go.  They have many events that draw huge crowds and parking can be really bad.  Most are held on Saturdays.

Frogs,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

I have been traveling in Minneapolis, and have really not been able to stay in touch.

Your trip may be over by now, and if so, I hope it went well.

You may want to check in at the Santa Barbara, Reagan Museum, for how you get to go to The Reagan Ranch.

All I know, is I got an invitation, and it was wonderful, and yes, we did make a gift contribution.

IMG_3354.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Apologies if this isn't what you're looking for, but I'm a huge fan of the Santa Monica JW, which I've favorably reviewd (OK, raved about):  Santa Monica - Le Merigot, JW Marriott

ssindc,

That sounds wonderful, I have not stayed there, but totally respect your opinion and experience there!

The area is a wonderful experience and here are a few photos Frogs may enjoy!

IMG_3313.JPG

This is a fabulous place to visit in Santa Barbara, directly across from the AMTRAK station!

IMG_3382.JPG

The Reagan Library is wonderful and his grave is a somber reflection on this mans life!

Hope you enjoy your trip!

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

We went there almost 2 yrs. ago while staying @ MVC's Newport Coast.  It was truly a moving experience.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

These are awesome!  I am getting excited myself!!  My husband will LOVE this!!!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Just the kind of things I am looking for!  I want to have the best experience possible at the best place to stay!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great teamwork from a great community! Have a fantastic trip Frogs! I'm excited for you!

Frogs,

Here are a few more things you might consider doing!

IMG_3372.JPG

Try to visit The Ventura Marina!  It is worth it!  Maybe take a boat ride to The Channel Islands, it is nice!

IMG_3414.JPG

Solvang, Ca, is a very interesting place to visit as well.  North of Santa Barbara!

Have fun!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I may have to consider another trip to the beautiful CA coast!  There is lots to see and so little time on this trip!

Thanks for sharing jerrycoin!

Kim

Frogs,

Enjoy your trip, and do think about your next trip!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Any suggestions for dinner in the Sana Monica area?  We are staying at the LeMerigot Marriott Santa Monica - 5 stars and are renting a car so we can get anywhere or will take a taxi.  This is our first time in the area and want to have a great eating experience!

Hoping we can score an upgrade at the hotel as well!  We are celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary and would love for it to be extra special and romantic!

I've appreciated all of the feedback I have received earlier and would love to hear from others.

I'm thinking another trip will have to happen in the future further north on the coast.

The closer this weekend gets the more excited I am getting!

Happy Travels!

Kim

erc Platinum

I've had two excellent meals at the Santa Monica (Wilshire Blvd) Hillstone (one, a wedding anniversary also).

Hillstone Restaurant Finder

Don't be mislead that it is a chain (think Autograph Collection or Kimpton). I've eaten at several of their brands and restaurants (thanks to tef6178 and curiousone) and they are all consistently excellent. You can make reservations on Urbanspoon, or for your type of special occasion, I'd call and 'give them the scoop'.   Have a great evening/trip wherever you end up.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Sounds like you have a great trip planned, Frogs. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! (PS - can't believe it's almost Labor Day weekend already!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...