24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 4:33 AM by kharada46 RSS

Imagine all the places...then imagine again

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those of us who travel a lot whether in North America or the rest of the world, think about the cities you visit most often and like (or in my case, have an interesting relationship with).  If money was not an issue, you were not concerned about points, but just wanted the very best view of that place you could get from your (hopefully balcony-ed) hotel room, describe that place.

I'll start. Since I have my love/hate relationship with Paris (and have mostly lived in apartments for extended periods), it's easy for me.  I would like to be at the tip of the Ile-St-Louis (I do not even know if there is a hotel there) looking out (preferably four levels up) toward the back of the Ile-de-la-Cité and the chevet of Notre-Dame, with both the Latin Quarter to my left and the Marais to my right with the Louvre way up on the right.  I have no idea if such a hotel exists, but I would stay there.

Venice has come closest to perfection for me with the Hotel Pesaro Palace.  The views from suites (and you must get the suites) is to die for.  The challenge for me after sunset was ever leaving the room because sitting by all the windows over the Grand Canal with my table, chairs, wine and cheese (and camera) were so amazing!

In London, I had very good views from the County Hall the four times I stayed there.  However, I found it an inconvenient hotel, since I could rarely get in before 3-4pm despite arriving at around 5:30am.  I actually preferred the view of Canary Wharf from the West India Quai Marriott.

In Rome, I have yet to find my hotel.  I love the Flora; they are wonderful, the hotel is beautiful, but the Via Veneto is to me a bygone era.  I want to stay in a place that overlooks the Tiber, perhaps with a view of the Vatican and the ancient sites as well as Trastevere.  If it is December, it should not be far from the bridge to Castel Sant'Angelo.

Ghent is pretty perfect.  No two ways about or better views or hotel stays.  I couldn't even say that about the alas (gone) Ledra because it's location was not the best.

So what are your perfect places? Like I said, real hotels don't matter, just location, location, site, site...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Niagara Falls Marriott Gateway on the Falls
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
  • Re: Imagine all the places...then imagine again
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Great post profchiara

While I have no specifics, I'd love to stay in a hotel on the Champs Elysees (or very near it) with an amazing view of the Tour Eiffel.  I would love a spectacular view of the Niagra Falls at the Niagra Falls Marriott too.  Great views of the mountains at the Fairmont Banff and of Lake Louise and the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise are other dream destinations. 

As funny as it sounds, I'd also love to stain in the South Pacific.  The Likuliku Lagoon Resort is a definite bucket list item, though I can't decide if I want an overwater bungalow or an on-shore room with the outdoor shower.  A similarly spectacular property in Tahiti would also be well appreciated. 

Moving back to Europe, a great property with a great view of Central London would be nice, as would be a property somewhere in the Swiss Alps with a great view of the mountains.  Of course, Venice with a great view of the canals would be great, and I do think the Ren in Tuscany looks like it has amazing views. 

Coming back to the US, of course a great property in NYC with good views would be appreciated.  And even coming back home, aspirational stays are at the St. Regis Princeville on Kauai, the Andaz Maui in Wailea, and the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island. 

Basically, I'd love to stay anywhere with well appointed rooms, great service, great views, and a great food scene  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Kharada,

Paris was the place that evoked these thoughts in me since today I watched a movie based there.  I felt all the headiness and first enjoyment of the city, then remembered parts I didn't like so much.  Part of it is that I have spent most of my time living in Paris in apartments in the 13th and 15th arrondissements.  They were great, but it was like regular life -- not in any way like a trip or vacation since I was also working 9-5 every day at the BN.

That's why I imagined my place on the north end of the Ile St Louis. It's an extraordinarily historical place, where you see plaques for its favorite residents every few doors.  And some great restaurants (except the one on the south side that served haggis).  But I'd want to be where it all started in Paris as a city-- which would be the 1st arrondissement, and Ile St Louis is right next door.

I have come to care more about night views and balconies than most other things, at least when in cities.  I still need a comfy bed, bath, and amenities.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

just stayed near you at the Kennebunkport Inn it was wonderful;

Bet you had fun getting there with only the one road!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

As you know Kennebunkport has limited parking in the summer so having an in town place to stay with free parking was  great. also form there we could walk to they beach. By the way they have a great ( they call it continental ) breakfast but it really is a full breakfast

profchiara, I totally understand the desire for views and a balcony.  As absurd as it sounds, even when I'm doing a "staycation" near home on Oahu, the view I get with my room means a lot to me.  At the JW in Ko Olina, I loved to just lay on the daybed on the balcony and listen to the ocean and soak in the beautiful view.  Likewise, in Waikiki, I love getting a view of the busy Kalakaua Ave + Waikiki Beach, or a great view of Diamond Head.  I once received a Jr Suite at the Waikiki Marriott with a poor view and wished I had opted for the standard room with the great oceanfront view! 

As for Paris, I'd like to give it another try.  I liked it when I went with school in '99, but didn't care for it much this time around.  I think the mistake was staying in La Defense.  The commute was simply too long for us when really, most of what we wanted to see/do was around the Champs Elysees. 

I absolutely love water and being around it (more oceans and pools than lakes), so a view in those types of places is essential for me!

Yes!  Agreed profchiara!  That's why I was so disappointed when the Wailea Beach Marriott gave me this room when I had paid for an Ocean View room and told them it was my anniversary.

_MG_9567.jpg

But I did love these views from the Waikiki Beach Marriott

wm1.jpgwm2.jpgwm3.jpg

Or these from the JW Ihilani

jw.jpgjw2.jpg

And from Aulani

a.jpg

Haven't had much luck in terms of views otherwise

KatieC Member

No lakes?! How about Sebago? I know you are close and I used to spend summers there. Beautiful!!!

Hi KatieC,

I'm just not a big fan of lakes -- I love the ocean above all.  I live between China Lake and Belgrade Lake.  I like seeing below me.  I have no problem seeing crabs and other things in the ocean, but a mushy bottom and god knows what is not my thing.  I have actually swum with barracudas and small sharks once -- In Key Largo many years back snorkeling.  As long as you don't threaten them they leave you alone.  But barracudas are pretty scarifying looking !

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

2013-06-04 16.03.32.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
      Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Niagara Falls Marriott Gateway on the Falls

Oops!  I tried to explain my pic above but the text disappeared.  This was the view from a suite at the Marriott Gateway to the Falls in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  It had a separate bedroom and slept up to 6 people.  Free parking, a kitchenette, and $50 credit at the on-site restaurant which was quite good.  Try the local wines!  Kids also enjoyed the indoor pool.  Highly recommend!

Awesome picture and amazing deal clebert!  One of these days...

erc Platinum

clebert

How did you get free parking?

It was $14 a day to park at BeachPlace Towers.  But the Niagara Falls parking was free - not sure if it was supposed to be or not - I reserved one of those special rates where you get a voucher for the restaurant, etc.

erc Platinum

Parking at the falls was probably part of your package, because they usually charge $25 (CAD).

Again demonstrating, be it internet, resort fees, parking (other than third party) Marriott negotiates when necessary.

Thank you for the info.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IMG_2605.JPG

Don't forget "Niagara on-the Lake"!  A wonderful place to see nearby!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

ProfChiara - With all your travels, and interesting questions you pose for the rest of us to contemplate, I can't help but wonder when you are in the classroom teaching? Anyway, here are some of my experiences, some of which I've perhaps posted before, but not all necessarily from Marriott balconies, or windows:

Bay at St. Mawes, Cornwall, England - taken from Tristantan Hotel image011.jpg

DSCN0057.JPGSunrise from balcony of Grande Ocean Marriott Vacation Villa, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina (above)

69260011.JPGView of Barga from balcony of Marriott Renaissance Ciocco Hotel & Resort, Tuscany, Italy (right)

101_0117.JPGViews of Augustine Church (left) and Tuscan valley from Locandra La Mandratgola, San Ginignano, Italy

Tuscany Italy 014.jpgPortland-Seattle Scenes 027.jpg

Morning view of Mount Hood at distance (above), Willamette River bridges (evening, below) from balcony room of Marriott Harbor Hotel, Portland, Oregon

Portland-Seattle Scenes 055.jpg

Lake Windermere from Linthwaite Hotel, England Picture 003.jpg

View from Hotel Room.jpgView from Marriott Ocean Watch Hotel, North Myrtle Beach, SC

Brussels-Ghent - 2014 052.jpgLounge floor from balcony of Marriott Hotel, Ghent, Belgium

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

fschumpert,

Those are fantastic photo's!

Thanks for sharing!  They make you want to get up each morning just to look at them, and remind yourself that you saw such beautiful places in your life!

I never go when classes are actually happening.  But I do go in the summer (only 5-6 days at a time because my cat won't allow more), then fall break -- only 4 days there -- then in December and January (we can teach an intensive Janplan but I prefer to teach an additional course in one of the semesters) -- and finally spring break in March.  The only time I have ever missed a class because of travel was thanks to JFK.  Fortunately, since as you know I take tons of photos, and only go to places I teach and research about, the students get very excited.

Great photos fschumpert!  If I make it to Portland net year, I'll be sure to request a room with a view of Mt Hood

2014-07-10 08.32.46.jpg

MVC BeachPlace Towers in Ft. Lauderdale.  $84/night with my MVC owner's discount.  I got upgraded to an ocean view.  Best $84/night place and view I've ever had!

Location Brand Hotel
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...