36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2014 7:44 PM by profchiara RSS

Volcano Alert!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Bardarbunga (I kid you not) in Iceland is currently at stage 4 of 5 on possible eruption status.  This may seem an obscure or even silly topic (except for a big percentage of Icelanders who've been evacuated from the region), but if you remember 2010, air traffic to and from Europe and Africa was snarled enormously leading in some cases to delays of weeks.

Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano prompts eruption fears - CNN.com

When erupted in Eyjafjallajökull in 2010, the consequences were severe.

Air travel disruption after the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there are any Icelandic MRis out there, would you please share your personal experience (since I'm currently working on the history of fear in volcanoes?  Plus, why are these volcanoes given such outlandish Icelandish names?   Sorry, that was culturally insensitive.

Thanks to google translate, I happily say:

Ég óska ykkur vel!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Volcano Alert!
    erc Platinum

Yes, that's serious stuff, both for the islanders and travelers, thanks for the heads up. If any of you want to be like jasper and see the lights (one of my goals)

Iceland - October 2012 - Chasing the Northern Lights

here's a worthwhile look/see (the ash should have cleared by then)

http://www.travelzoo.com/vacations/europe/-899-Iceland-4-Night-Northern-Lights-Trip-w-Air-780-Off-1828054/?ptl=done&rating=&tppct=&utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us_top20_2014_34_deal%3a1828054&utm_content=1828054

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi erc and others,

Since I am traveling to Italy next Tuesday (the airlines have alerts posted, esp the European ones, including Air France), it could directly affect me.  If I get there, as I hope, the question could be returning since I am scheduled to teach the day after my return.

But if you are traveling, I strongly suggest doing regular google and twitter searches on bardarbunga.  It's apparently way below a glacier, but that could make things even worse.  Plus some areas of northwestern Africa have become no-fly zones, so there is less possibility for diversions.  (I guess if need be I could get home by flying East to China-Hawaii-California-Atlanta-Boston, but I think it would take a half a semester to get me there!)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ProfChiara,

Thanks for sharing!

Read about this today at my RI in Minneapolis, MN, and this does have me concerned.  Have two trips to Europe planned the rest of the year, and with all that is going on in the World, am not going to go, if I have to "Fear" the trip.

Hope your trip goes very well, and please keep in touch!

profchiara,

Thanks for the additional information!

This information could be a "Trip Changer" for many!

For geeks like me (who are also planning to go to Europe) on Tuesday, this site is fascinating.  It updates graphically and in a data chart in real time as the earthquakes are happening beneath Bardarbunga.

It would have helped if I had listed the site!

3dBulge

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks for the link Prof.

Iceland has raised its likelihood of eruption to highest, red level:

AP News : Subglacial volcanic eruption begins in Iceland

So far, no disruption of air space outside of Iceland.

Vulcanologists seem to have an amusing sense of humor. If you're following on twitter, their hashtag is #ashtag

Just keeping you all apprised (mostly IAHFLYR and myself) -- two 4+ earthquakes near and above the surface of Bardarbunga.

Again, here is the graphic:

3dBulge

Fingers crossed and then also for the LH possible pilots strike that might impact our flight on the A388.

The only thing I can find for AF (which incoming to Paris for me (oddly) is operated by Delta 243 (so I got economy comfort for nothing even though it is really listed as an AF flight), is something on August 30th, but it seems very tenuous.  And if by then the volcano has erupted I will have to explain to my students that sometimes ya can't do what ya can't do.   Fortunately I have an amazing catsitter who comes in twice a day (and whom I call once a day), although unfortunately my cat is not impressed. (She will sometimes listen to me on the phone from abroad when i screech out her name.)

The vulcanologists seem divided.  Some think catastrophe, some think nothing much at all.  We shall see.  Sorrento, vengo!

It just occurred to me that if the volcano REALLY erupted (despite these small stages) you could luck out because Lufthansa would realize the futility of their actions.  But that of course assumes that the volcanic ash is not a major problem like in 2010.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have been thinking about a cruise that stops in Iceland next summer.  This makes me think about whether I should plan it.  This volcano has interfered with travel more than once and I can imagine what the air quality would be.

californian,

Same with me, watch this situation, so you do not get stuck someplace you don't want to be!

I watched it last time and it was pretty bad and it looks like it is not too much better this time and appears to happen fairly often.  A ship probably would not be able to sail too far off the island and so for the air quality.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Oooer, thanks for that Prof.

I'm due to fly from Orlando to UK on Wednesday after a 3 week holiday with the family in Disney, and the latest news appears to be that the eruption has commenced. This could seriously effect my work plans as I'm solidly booked up for 10 days after my return, weekend included...

brightlybob,

Good luck with your return flight!

Please let us know how it goes, and how Orlando was!

Hope to see you in London, the end of September!  (If we can all get there!)!

Following vulcanologists on twitter seems to be one of the ways to get the most recent info.  It appears (strangely in view of a lot of 4 and 5 earthquakes in the past 24 hours) that they have downgraded it to a 4.  Have fun in Orlando!

ProfChiara,

Sounds like it could "Blow" today!

Keep an eye on it!

I'm not liking how the 3dBulge site is looking.  The deeper earthquakes are getting wider and the ones to the NW bigger and closer to the surface.

Keeping my fingers crossed it all just somehow settles down.

Hope all goes well for the both of you!

Will be following you in a few weeks!

We will pave the way for you Mr. and Mrs. Coin!

Bardarbunga is looking a little better today.  Actually some 5+ earthquakes (Eqs are happening every minute), but they have moved to the NW away from the volcano spout.  It's kind of ironic I am going to a place where I'll be studying volcanic remains (among other things).  Let's hope the irony doesn't get too rich

IAHFLYR,

Thank-you!  Keep us informed on how your trip goes!

Bon Voyage!

BTW, while I was talking with the flight attendants they told me that they WERE worried about the volcano, and that one flight had been cancelled yesterday.  Apparently if they get stuck somewhere they only get a miniscule per diem and a place to stay.

Made it over and back, only issue was yesterday when coming home they took a more southern route to avoid Iceland completely, left Europe just south of England and cross U.S. land at the Virginia-NC border......11:10 minutes of flying.

IAHFLYR,

Glad you made it back and your update is appreciated!

Glad you made it back with little inconvenience.

We had such a great crew and service the 11 hours just flew by (pun intended)!

So I gather you did not have the female version of Jack Torrance of The Shining sitting in front of you .

LOL, no we did not....had our own little lie flat pods, but we did have a lady behind my wife who kept getting annoyed that the two of the flight attendants would stop and talk to us all the time as they were passing out drinks or food so she'd kick the back of the pod my wife was sitting in.  One of the flight attendants heard it and saw her kicking the pod, she told her to stop it as this is your only warning.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Glad you had a safe trip IAHFLYR! And thank you profchiara for all the updates! They have been extremely helpful and appreciated.

In the process of preparing for classes and flying to Europe during a potential volcano, I found out something fascinating considering I am teaching French Revolution.  Two volcanic eruptions happened in Europe in the 1780s in Iceland (Laki? -- sounds too pronounceable) and Italy (Vesuvius).  Many believe that the the ash clouds caused European cooling, crop failures, vine failures, and resultant unemployment.  If I hadn't been flying to Italy during a potential eruption I never would have known that many scholars believe volcanic eruptions were one of many causes of the French Revolution.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...