13 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2015 7:32 AM by ramoneur RSS

Looking For A Career Change That Requires 25% Travel

nashvilletnguy Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am currently locked in a cubical for 10 - 12 hours per day and I am really wanting to find a career that requires 25% travel (I live in Nashville, TN). My background is account management, business analytics, and project management. You would think that with a background in account management and project management I would have traveled for work before but that isn't the case. I know there are tons of business travelers on here so I am hoping to get some feedback on what careers require 25% travel that fall into my previous work experience. If it helps here is the link to my LinkedIn profile http://lnkd.in/S6T8Q8. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Nashville Airport Marriott
  • Re: Looking For A Career Change That Requires 25% Travel
    rbmia Platinum

Most travel related careers I have been involved in is 100% travel for business or technology consulting. A project manager will need to be on site full time, and an account rep will travel to different clients full time.

With your background you may want to look into the financial consulting arena.  For example, I had a client who handles Mergers and Acquisitions.  They would travel for a week or two every few months.  I don't know about Nashville, but most large financial firms should have some presence in the large cities. Check Raymond James for an example.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nashvilletnguy Gold 3 Reviews

Great feedback rbmia. I'll take a look and see what I can find. Do you enjoy doing 100% travel or does it get old?

rbmia Platinum

That answer may be different for everyone on this forum.  For me, I spent my first two years after college working in a cubicle and decided that was not going to make me happy. I have now been travelling for almost 20 years and have totally enjoyed the travel, eating local foods and staying in hotels. I have met wonderful people and experienced things I would never have done if I was not travelling due to work.  I am so use to travelling that when I do go home I throw my towels on the floor and don't understand why they are still there the next day.

From a family life standpoint, that makes things a lot harder.  Most of my friends are in the same business, so we travel for work to the same locations or meet up on weekends.  Most people I know who have to travel full time are single, divorced or have kids where the other parent doesn't work.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

nashvilletnguy - Hello, "neighbor" (from one who lives on Lookout Mountain, TN)! I've been traveling for nearly 50 years, primarily on business, and have often thought about applying to some hotel firm, like Marriott Hotels, as a clandestine "hotel reviewer", "quality inspector", etc., if there is such a position. I thought perhaps my travel experiences might be of value to a company like Marriott. Maybe you should check with Marriott - if you like the organization - and see if there might be career opportunities as such:

Hospitality Careers | Find Your World with a Marriott Hotel Career

You might be in position for more travel than you want, though?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Define "travel". Nashville to Philadelphia? Or Nashville to Paris? Or Nashville to Dhaka, Bangladesh?

Unfortunately for your skill set (Project Management) you either travel, or you don't. I doubt you'll find a 25% travel job. As pointed out above, the Project Manager spends most of his time on site. Depending on the type of projects (Construction, IT, Finance, etc.) you might find yourself gone from home for weeks (or months) at a time. And if you get good at it you might find yourself assigned somewhere else for a year or two.

Suggestion is to get yourself hired by a big multi-national. Prove your worth in the US and they'll start handing you travel assignments.

nursshark Gold 4 Reviews

Pharmaceutical Sales Rep!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nashvilletnguy,

The best to you and your request to travel!

For most of us it never gets old!  Wonderful world, and plenty of great people to meet and enjoy their company!

If you have any desire to learn "Collectables", you can travel the World!  If I can help, let me know!

There are many Auction houses and collectables places HQ in Nashville.  The best thing is tell people exactly that you desire to travel, many people won't, and that will give you an "Edge"!

Good luck, and keep us informed!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

A more general suggestion. Forget travel. Find a job you love. If you find a job that gives you the travel that you want but you hate your job you'll hate the travel real fast.

rshally Platinum

The joke when I started working in consulting 20(ish) years ago was that the job called for 50% travel...  You traveled the first 50% of your career.  The humor is in the truth...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HAHA...

IN my game (law) the opposite is true. You spend the first half of your career hanging around the local courts and getting a name for yourself on occasional non-local cases. Thus, if you're good at it (and lucky) you spend the first 10 years of your career local, the next 10 years mixing local with travel, 50/50 and the last 10 in London on the tube . After that a career in the judiciary awaits...

ramoneur Platinum

...so how did this end?

did OP find a "travel-job"?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...