3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2014 2:46 AM by oxymoronic RSS

500pnts or $20 credit?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have a stay starting this Friday night at the courtyard in Sacramento totaling to $220 including the tax. I was on my amex account and i happened to check the "Offers for you" which states

Get a 1X $20 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to make a single purchase of $100+ on all charges to your room, including your room rate, when you pay for your stay with Courtyard Hotels between 8/1/14 and 9/30/14.

details as followed

Offer valid at Courtyard by Marriott properties located in the US and Puerto Rico. Not valid at other Marriott brands. Excludes gift cards. Reservations must be made online at Courtyard.com or by phone at 1-888-236-2427. Enrollment limited. Limit 1 statement credit per American Express Card across all American Express offer channels. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 9/30/14, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it

I was originally planning on putting everything on my Marriott rewards credit card but now that i see this im wondering if the $20 credit would be worth more than 500 points i would be loosing on the card. And would this apply if i make a payment of 101 on amex and put the rest on the Marriott? ive never split the payment.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 500pnts or $20 credit?
    jack613 Silver

$20 dollars is definitely the way to go. to redeem one night for a category 2 which can cost $120 a night you need 10000 points. $20 is worth a lot more than 500 points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jm1991

I agree with jack613 that the staement credit of $20 is worth more than the 500 points you would earn on the Marriott Credit Card for a $100 charge.  In most cases the redemption value of a marriott point is less than 1 cent.  So the Amex deal would most likely save you a minimum of $15 if you split the transaction.

For Reference to Discover Card Holders-  If you make a Marriott Reservation through the ShopDiscover portal and pay for a stay with a Marriott Card you can get 5% cash back.

oxymoronic Platinum 3 Reviews

Totally agreed.  On a best usage basis you may be able to yield $6 of value out of 500 points but typically they are worth less, and much less, if used for anything other than stays.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...