28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2014 11:26 AM by jerrycoin RSS

@kh, The "Minnow" could be lost!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

KH B732 @ HNL,

Take care of your family and yourself as the Hurricane approaches!

Don't become, The Gilligan's Island folks that get stranded!

We all want you and your loved ones to be safe, so take no chances, we need you!!

Anyone else have a comment?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: @kh, The minnow could be lost!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You bet, kharada46 be safe my friend, sent up a smoke signal to let us know you're all well after these storms pass and by all means do NOT play around with floods.

Take care.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

KatieC Member

Be safe! We're looking forward to updates after the storms have passed.

erc Platinum

And lest she think, out of sight out of mind; safe wishes for merb as well .

erc,

Yes!  We don't want KH B732 @ HNL finding "Mary Ann", she is the only one still alive!

Be safe, all of you!

KatieC Member

We sent merb out for supplies yesterday.

KatieC,

They are reporting, "Tonight" the storm will hit!

Stay safe and dry!  Make sure you have stockpiled, plenty of "Poi"!

KatieC,

Did you feel the "Earthquake"?  What next?  At least no "Sunami"!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

jerrycoin, we didn't feel a thing on Oahu.  The last earthquake we felt was years ago.  Forget when exactly, but it's the one that knocked our entire electrical grid offline for a few days! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Take care Kyle and Mrs. KH, as you approach your (happy) 1st wedding anniversary on beautiful Maui!  Stay safe and enjoy the rain (maybe bottle some of it up and send it to California, please!  We're parched.)

pluto77, I really can't wait to get to Maui!  Just crossing my fingers there will be no/minimal damage there. 

Thanks jerrycoin, IAHFLYR, erc, KatieC, pluto77!  We're as good to go as we'll ever be.  We already had a case of Spam sitting around the house and a case of water.  But our "rations" are a little non-traditional because in addition to the Spam, corned beef hash, and rice, I threw in quinoa, pastas, whole grain breads, hazelnut spreads, Italian Wedding Soup, and Tomato Bisque LOL! 

My only concern is that our house is over 90 years old and is the older raised type.  But, it did survive at least 3 other hurricanes since it was built, so that's good to know right?!  As long as the gas stays on we'll be good.  Power would be nice too so my ice cream doesn't melt

As many of you have probably seen on CNN, these kinds of things do make local people go INSANE.  Poor merb got to experience that first hand.  But I think you should be ok merb.  Just remember to stockpile a lot of water!  Not necessarily drinking water only.  If you live in a apartment building, loss of power will me loss of water, so no toilet flushing.  That's why it's recommended that we fill our tub with water, etc. so we can manually fill the toilet if necessary.  Do you have gas too?  If not an inexpensive butane or propane camping stove should be good!  And remember, Spam (pan fried) tastes great with white rice!  Even better if you throw in some of that chili-pepper & sesame oil marinated strips of dried cod known by the Koreans as Taegu  

And if you're wondering why people go insane and stock up on toilet paper, it's because they're worried that if the harbor(s) are damaged, we won't be able to receive freight shipments... thus no toilet paper.  But, local people are crazy and do overreact... which leads to them hoarding! 

KH B732 @ HNL,

Thanks for the update!

We will keep all of you in our prayers!  (I hope I can say that) BTW, did you see the diner in The Carolina's had to stop giving a !5% discount to people who said "Grace" in their diner!  They were threatened to be sued by an outfit in Wisconsin, who claimed it was illegal to give these types of discounts!

We will still keep you all in our "Prayers"!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

kharada46,

Stay safe my friend!  Keep us posted on things when you are able to.

Scott

Thanks vaboywnder & jerrycoin

From what I've seen on the news, the Big Island is getting very dark and rainy, but not stormy yet.  But in Honolulu...

10603261_10204255943220318_7043419533763824841_n.jpg

Perfect beach weather!  For now at least...

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

And now you have an earthquake kharada46?  Stay safe my friend.  I know you have a supply of Spam to get through these potential disasters.  Good luck.

That's right bpelican

But to be fair, earthquakes are really common on the Big Island.  The timing was just a little ironic haha.

I do plan on making some of these over the next few days

photo.JPG

KH B732 @ HNL,

I don't know what is more dangerous, "The Hurricane, The earthquake, or Spam"!

Take care of yourself, and if you do make it to Maui, please check out and see if one of my favorite places to dine is still there, "Pineapple Hill', what a beautiful place this was!

Hmmm... jerrycoin, I think the Spam is worst.  Eat enough and it'll cause all sorts of problems

Will do, and I fully expect to reach Maui in just over a week.  I've never heard of Pineapple Hill before, will have to look it up at least.  I've already planned to check out an amazing sounding new restaurant called Ka'ana Kitchen at the Andaz Maui in Wailea. 

kharada46,

Take care of your loved ones and yourself!

Will be watching the weather for your area.  Take care, and be careful!

Spam is much more dangerous, but the way kharada46 uses it we might actually like it!  Stay safe kids and catch ya on the other side.

IAHFLYR,

Spam is great!  I use it for "Squeaky door knobs"!  Also for "Pest removal", you put it around your house, and creatures leave you alone!

erc Platinum

Since Insiders is about 'enlightenment' (what? it's not? oh well), I share with the gang the following. Sorry, it's the shortest clip I could find, the relevant info starts at 2:10.

Bizarre Foods America host talks about SPAM - YouTube

Now whereas I'm not a huge fan of Spam, I can certainly eat it, especially grilled or as kh shows musubi style. I almost spit out my lemonade when I saw Zimmern's show in Hawaii when he dissed Spam. I've watch this guy eat raw meat in Africa with hundreds of flies having to be shooed away first, and I've seen him eat RAW bile ducts (and no doubt its ingredients!) so this just bowled me over. Glad you're safe kharada46 and merb. Keep on keepin' on.

Thanks jerrycoin, IAHFLYR and erc!  We are indeed safe.  Weather was pretty mild on Oahu.  I feel sorry for those on the Big Island that got pummeled and are still without power, but most of the state was relatively unaffected by the storm.  It was a good practice run I guess, especially for first timers like merb.  But the season is still young, so who knows how many more storms we'll see from now till November?

But, IAHFLYR is right!  Spam musubis taste great!  You have to try it, even if you don't like it... well, if you're still able to after erc's video! 

But Spam tastes great with rice.  Anything meaty and salty taste great with rice.  Heck, even a sunny side egg mixed into hot rice with shoyu (soy sauce) is great too haha.  Spam also tastes great with fried noodles.  So let me know when you guys are coming and I'll definitely change your minds! 

But first, it's off to Maui!  Just need to get through this week...

Great to hear all is well kharada46, you're less than seven days from the first anniversary!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Glad you folks are OK kharada46.  The Big Island is used to adversity, but hope they get power soon.  I'm in Raleigh, NC, at a FS Marriott that we often frequent and trying to get them to include SPAM with their scrambled eggs instead of Turkey Sausage.  Best to you, enjoy Maui.

kharada46,

Glad you let us know "All is well"!

Keep sending us the "Good news" from Hawaii!

KatieC Member

YUM!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...