13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2014 1:18 PM by chrisf RSS

Fined for bad reviews!

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

US hotel fines guests $500 for bad reviews - Telegraph

erc you would have to choose your wedding guests very carefully here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Fined for bad reviews!
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jack613 Silver

that is absolutely crazy and can be thousands of dollars which a newly married couple can use.   NOT the way to do buisness

erc Platinum

The Union Street Guest House just learned the hard way that niche marketing isn't always your friend.

As a father of two daughters, I have to choose my wedding guests very carefully anyway (between meals and liquor!). I want to find the son of a gun who started that stupid tradition (no doubt 'Big Dog' Pontipee, father of the seven brothers in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers ).

sg1974 Gold

I find it hard to believe how on earth they could think that is a policy for success.

As soon as you type in yelp hotel reviews this story is on multiple websites all over the world!

erc Platinum

Perhaps they're going after the anti-Yelpers.  It's certainly gotten the property notoriety. It's interesting that a British paper broke the news to Americans. I'll be interested in seeing their response.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg1974,

This story has been reported to false.  The hotel said this report is not true!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This one may not be true but I have heard of people being sued for bad reviews.  To me, this makes using reviews less beneficial.  They need the bad as well as the good.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

Yes, you are so right!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I still give bad as well as good reviews on Trip Advisor.  As long as you are objective and polite, I doubt whether any hotel would have a case for suing.  The Guest Director of one hotel that I recently reviewed as a 'very good' was disappointed with my review and offered a complimentary stay to see if they had fixed the problems that I highlighted Excellent!

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

Chrisf:  That is the sign of a customer smart Guest Director.

While I don't think that you necessarily should be rewarded for bad reviews, it certainly is terrible business practice not to take them seriously.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I agree WS.  The Guest Director was a bit miffed because I only rated the hotel 'very good' instead of 'outstannding'.  It was not what I'd call a 'bad' review but he took on board my criticism and suggested I return to check out the result.  Hence the offer of a complimentary stay ... if only all hotels were that responsive!

Chris

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Oh, "some" will try with threats of "we will sue you" for the act of daring to give a bad review. Good thing the traveling public now has smartphones.

erc Platinum

Whereas I agree with the unanimous (and obvious) opinion that this was a foolish move by the hotel, I do (as an investor in restaurants and service businesses) empathize with the owners who often face non: objective/logical/fair opinions (us Insiders, through years of reviews experience, know how to weed through the irrelevant, or even the occasional accurate bad experience, and choose based on weighted averages and our own evaluative criteria). This lead me to an excellent meal in Portland Maine, where the young entrepreneur fired back (certainly not in the way that I would advise);

here's the complaint;
    "We got 20 dollars worth of food for 53 dollars. Rip off! We ordered two of the same dishes and he gave us the two portions on the same plate. We were still hunger even after we were done eating. He needs to bring down those prices! Beware. I mean the place was so small, I thought it would be cheaper but we paid too much for the food"!

here's the response: (again, I'm not advocating this type of customer interaction - no letters please)

mike n, Owner at Fishermen's Grill, responded to this review, March 16, 2014

LOL first of all buddy you came I with 6 people and ordered enough for 4 people, 2 1lb haddock dinners so that's a joke to start ..... do you even know the price of fresh haddock NO ???? YOU DONT , I gave you more than I should have anyway because 6 of you where trying to eat off of 2 dinners ????, let alone I asked you if I could put it all on one plate to you daughter . I buy the best product around and get offended when people like you come in and try to have a bad experience to somehow satisfy some power over a business . next time order more food and ask questions , if you do the math you each ate for 8.83 a peace in my book that's a cheep dinner for a cheep skate . Have a good day and go to long john silvers next time !

Our first stop in Portland. Mike the young (30ish) owner won me over when he

argued with the lone dissenter on TripAdvisor - it was as good as he said. I
    actually talked to him about being careful in the future and he said he was going
    to 'soften' up and not take it so personally, and apparently he has. Food was excellent as seen below;

20140503_125247.jpg

New to me; Lobster blt - mmm (wife couldn't eat it all, guess who stepped in)

20140503_124122.jpg

There is a case in the Virginia courts right now where a carpet cleaner (Joe Hadeed) sued seven defendants and Yelp over what he felt was unfair, unsubstantiated, and unanimous complaints. He won the initial round, not so much because he received negative reviews or even because he proved falsehood (although the damage was quantifiable), but more because Yelp itself was held in contempt for not turning over court required info (names of reviewers - to essentially prove they were real humans and not competitors just throwing 'stuff' against the wall).

I would refer to  barrpat and other legal experts, but I would anticipate that Yelp would make out alright. But to me, here's the moral of the story and the real danger to reviewers of vendors suing - being right is overrated and even though (again in my humble opinion) I don't believe the defendants will lose, it was still a PITA (a stated fact by the defendants) for all of them.

Hats off to sg1974 for tossing up a live one!

btw - this turned out to be real   AOL.com Article - Did NY hotel's policy call for $500 fines for bad reviews?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...