11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2014 4:09 PM by fschumpert RSS

My Paris Quandary - What to Do?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I realize this is very like another post, but my circumstances are different since I've lived in Paris about 4-5 years of my life all told and 2 years at one time.  Generally speaking, I hate a love/hate relationship with it, as I feel about NYC and a few other huge cities.

My quandary is twofold.  En route to Naples/Sorrento, I have an 8h45m layover once in Paris (excluding customs).  I am flying EC with a pretty good seat, but it's a relatively short flight from the east coast, so for me that means next to no sleep with the time difference.  I know how to get to all the places in Paris quickly, but my question is do I want to?  (My flight arrives at CDG at 8:35am and leaves for Naples at 5pm.)  If I do so, it means checking my one piece of luggage, which I hate doing, especially after one trip was ruined when it was lost.  While I could still carry all essentials in 2 small carry-ons and check a bag free, that would still mean lugging laptop, cell phones, camera, wallet and all valuables around Paris while groggy.  Then I would have to go through security again without TSA Pre-Check.

I know it sounds like I'm talking myself out of it (I probably am), but I am really doing a cost-benefit analysis for my general well-being on arrival in Sorrento.  Unless I had lunch at a wonderful restaurant in Paris (which I might not feel like eating in view of the feeding schedules and time changes with the flight), there's very little in Paris I haven't seen that could be done in no more than 5 hours with the transportation involved.

I'm just curious as to all of your thoughts.  I WILL have AF Lounge access at CDG, whether or not my Priority Pass comes through in time.  And I could always eat a nice lunch at the Sheraton in the middle of the 2 concourse.

Anyone want to try to talk me one way or the other? If it were a city I had never visited I thinking I'd be leaning in the other direction.

The one thing I might do if they have one is a yotel in order to sleep.  Does anyone know if there's one at CDG?

Merci beaucoup!

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: My Paris Quandary - What to Do?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ProfChiara,

If it were me, I would stay at CDG! 

By the time you clear customs there, it will be 10 AM, if you are lucky!  Why not relax for 5 hours, even if you have to dine, nap, email, etc, close to your departing gate?  It would be different, if you would be in a situation like erc, and you have no 'Carry-ons" to take with you around Paris.  However, since you are by yourself, with carry-ons, and have no place that you really "Haven't been" in Paris, RELAX!

Just my thoughts on what I would do!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jerry,

As you probably guessed, that was the way I was leaning anyway.  I rarely have had that long a layover, so I thought I'd get other opinions.  But my flight leaves BOS at 7:35pm (which is 1:35am the next day, so by the time they do the food service and turn off the lights it will probably be 3:30 am, and I arrive at 8:30).  Having to check my carry-on would be both dangerous in view of my past experiences and also a hassle when I eventually arrive in Naples to be picked up at 7:10, with an hour ride to Sorrento.

Thanks!

ProfChiara,

Maybe think of an extra project you could "Attempt" to do while at CDG! ( I tend to think of them, but seem to fail to do them more often than not!).  Simple things, like organize photo's on the computer, order photo's, write a new post on MRI, or ?.

You will have the benefit of having a few hours to relax, and you will probably need it, after flying all night!

BTW, do you ever take AMTRAK from Portland, MA to Boston, to catch a flight?  Is that just too much hassle?

Sounds like a plan!  No, AMTRAK doesn't work well for Logan Airport because it goes to the wrong station.  But the Concord Coach buses are great so I drive to Portland and take their bus straight to the airport.   A few go from Augusta and even Colby during the school year, but unfortunately if you can't be absolutely sure when you will land and clear customs getting home is a challenge.  Portland is almost every hour.  (And trust me, they bear no resemblance to Greyhound buses, happily.)

ProfChiara.

Thanks for the "Clarification"!

Just happened to be reviewing AMTRAK routes the other day, and thought this might be an "Option" for you!  Maybe for one on "Vacation", but not for "Airline Connections", as you put it!

Thanks for letting us know!

The Down'easter as it's called in these parts is primarily for commuters who work in Boston (or vice versa), and would probably be preferable to the bus.  But Concord Coach is best for 7 day a week almost hourly service to both South Station and Logan Airport, with many of them Logan Airport Express buses. They even show movies and have wifi!

ProfChiara,

Thank-you!  That sounds like a lot of fun, under the right condition!

Would enjoy trying it, when I had plenty of extra time!  Would enjoy going from Portland to WDC, or vice-versa!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Prof,

I don't know whether or not there is luggage storage available at the airport (and for the laptop, camera, etc. a light rolling backpack with wheels and extension arm might work great - I walked to/from my office .6 miles each way for years with one of these...), but even without the luggage question (whether checked or stored), consider this timetable:

8:35 land

10:00am freed from customs

11:30am arrive at your Paris destination (doesn't necessarily take this long, though maybe it does, all things considered: a bit of a walk to the terminal with the RER train station at the airport, wait in line to buy ticket, wait for next train, train to Chatelet or wherever, transfer to metro or else walk to restaurant, or both, etc., so prudent to allow for wiggle room and making the assumption that you would use RER B, then metro/walk to destination, otherwise 70€ taxi each way)

1:30pm head back to CDG

3:00pm arrive back CDG

5:00pm depart CDG

So you have to ask yourself, how much is it worth to me to spend 2 hours in central Paris again and at this time, and also enjoy a Parisien meal?  Might be worth it to you, might not.  I would probably do it myself, but we're all different.  I know you have some joint issues.  And as you said, you once lived there.  I have not, so (at this time) feel like I can never get enough, plus I like to live a little dangerously (and I'm actually better with that than I used to be. )

Bon chance.

P.S.  One time I had only about 6 hours there between flights and I chose not to chance it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Oops (where's Fred?), bonne chance.

Thanks, Pluto -- If it were almost any city but Paris (or London), I'd probably go for it.  But anything I could do in a short period of time I have probably done many times.  There'd also be plenty to do that I haven't in London, but there I wouldn't take the chances on time since security is more difficult.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

ProfChiara - On my trips through CDG, or departure from there, I've utilized the nearby Marriott Hotel (to get a shower, rest in the lounge, have a meal, or stay overnight to avoid hassle). The hotel offers a free shuttle to/from the airport. Don't know of nearby places to visit at CDG, but do have recommendations for others, such as Gatwick (England), Brussels, Amsterdam, etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...